Digital TV DX

FM Radio Stations and TV Carriers used as Early Warning Indicators
VK2KRR

Digital TV DX

Post by VK2KRR »

I was just wondering if anyone has done any digital TV DX?

Being in tropo central here, Ive accidently been able to get (beaming Albury, Sth) service areas of VK3 - Bendigo, Shepparton, Albury. VK2 - Griffith & Wagga.

The areas are listed on the channel list.

Ive not actually gone out of my way to chase DX channels, but it could be rather interesting to see what I might be able to pick up, might look at a small rotator to move the antennas about.

Anyone found some distant channels ?
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Digital TV DX

Post by VK5PJ »

Leigh, plenty of digital dx here, mainly UHF signals from the Balarat area each summer, we end up with a large selection of channels with numbers all in the 40's from memory. We have a high gain antenna here that is side on to that area so they must be strong signals. When summer goes I delete them as thsy just make channel selection more lengthy when we are flicking around :-)

Peter
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Peter,

Yes I recall you saying your getting TV from other areas when the tropo is on, causing interference :mrgreen:

Im just having a look through all the VK5 TV channels now (AMCA listing).

Do you know (anyone) what service has replaced the big VHF TX from the Renmark/Loxton area?? which was on 143.760 MHz audio.

I see there is a TX SBS40 Renmark/Loxton National 613.5 V DA 240k -34 27 56 140 31 55 1931748
Broadcast Site Bookpurnong Terrace 4 km WSW of LOXTON.

Thats 240 kW, I wonder if thats at the site?
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

WOW :shock: SBS28 Southern Agricultural National 527.25 V OD 600k -34 39 25 117 38 46 1156435 Broadcast Site MT BARKER WA

600 kW, that could be a good beacon.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Morning all... very early here, but for Tropo hunters thats often when the DX is happening.

Ive had some success, ive been able to RX signals on my digital set top box from CH44 Adelaide! (760Km approx). Also GTS/BKN Port Pirie and SC10 Port Pirie (850km). These have come up in the channel list.

Ive taken a number of screen photos, but they may be to big to upload here, not sure.

Im a bit confused with trying to work out the channel numbers and freq allocation etc.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Adelaide 44 - 760 Km
Adelaide 44 - 760 Km
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

What brand STB are you running Leigh?
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Alan,
The set top box brand is "BUSH". I dont know if its a good or bad one or what? I cant give model number at the moment.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Port Pirie TV 860 Km
Port Pirie TV 860 Km
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

VK2KRR wrote:Hi Alan,
The set top box brand is "BUSH". I dont know if its a good or bad one or what? I cant give model number at the moment.
While The "Bush" brand on the outside appears to be quite cheap (my standard DEF was $60 quite a few years ago at DSE) their RF performance is not to be sneezed at. We regularly have issues with pulse noise from a neighbors electric fence and both the Panasonic (recorder) and Sony (LCD TV) devices we have here crumble into pixelation while the Bush gives a clean picture.

I have the BUSH in my shack but alas I had to give up my TV antenna for use on the main house while we tried to get a better picture in the house but hope to have it back soon, then I can start looking for TV dx :-)

Peter
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Does anyone know what the best Digital tuner for weak signals would be ?

Ive had advice that a brand called 'Healing' have very sensitive RX's ? Im looking to get a unit for that shack and a little TV, or even the small LCD screen that I have for Dish Cam might work.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Using 162 MHz Marine Tracking to monitor tropo openings, last night things looked good and I gave some DTV DX a go again and came up with some which Ive never gotten before. Ballarat 385 Km, Bendigo 300 Km & Shepparton channels 193 Km. Also Albury 126 km. Was trying for something in the Melbourne area, but that didn't happen.
Ballarat DTV
Ballarat DTV
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Found this interesting DTV Auto logging page, made by an Amateur in the USA.

http://kb8u.ham-radio-op.net/all_tuners

Not 100% sure how it all works yet, but thought I would post it up for others to see.