AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

AIS specific discussion
VK2KRR

Re: AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi John,

Not running yet, I was picking up Esperance beacon on 2m.

I see the spots west of Perth now on Phils coverage map, I will get a copy and post it up.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Here is the map of Phils coverage from Tuesday. Note the few blue spots out west of Perth :mrgreen:
VK5AKK coverage this week.
VK5AKK coverage this week.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Phil VK5AKK, I see your using the IC910 on AIS at the moment? it seems to not hear quite as good? or maybe the condx are not as good? What do you think?
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5AKK »

Hi Leigh,
I have been running AIS on the 910 for six days and I can't pick any difference between it and the 821H despite lots of testing. Once I get the preamp working the 1st RF stage will be at the base of the antenna and I will probably Rx on the Yaesu 8900R. Quiet day today.
Cheers
Phil
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

OK thanks Phil.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Phil VK5AKK,

Looks like you heard something down south of Mt Gambier, nothing into Victorian or Tasmanian waters yet.

That past 24 hour coverage map is confusing, there is a lot more than past 24 hours on there. Wish it was past 24 hours as it would give a better idea of whats been happening.
Last edited by VK2KRR on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5AKK »

Hi Leigh,
Yes the past 24 hours map seems to contain spots from more than 24 hours ago. Still having offline problems any time of the day. No point in wasting electricity over night if its off line when I get up, and I missed some good SE troppo overnight. Built a Mini-Kits preamp and got it up tonight but it still needs a final tune at the antenna. Back to lousy conditions here so system will be off overnight.
Cheers
Phil
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Phil,

Let us know what sort of difference you feel the pre-amp has made.

Seems to be slightly up to me, looking at your data, but hard to tell with tropo.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Phil I see a couple of spots there deep into the middle of the Bight on your 24 hr coverage map, wonder when they occurred ?
AKK
AKK
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I have returned from Broken Hill, eager to try the AIS on the Uniden scanner I ordered. My XYL said there was a post office card the day after I left town. I phoned the PO, they said they'd hang onto the parcel for me.

Got back today looking forward to receiving it and doing the discriminator mod this evening, but the knuckle-heads at the PO have only gone and sent it back to where it was ordered from...

So back to square one. I have to re-order it and get it or another sent again.

Why is nothing easy? :roll:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Typical, ask someone to do something and they dont. :?

I'll be interested to hear about the mod anyway once you get it.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All...

Well thats something new....I thought items not picked up were sent to an unclaimed office somewhere before it was sent back to where it came from...

Rob I noticed a Uniden pro-2036 scanner for sale on the QRZ forum for $100 plus postage..

John..
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I noticed Phil VK5AKK has changed station numbers to 211 I think it is.
Whats the go there Phi ?
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5AKK »

Greetings,
Yes I was given a new uplink port because I was having so many offline problems. Unfortunately the different port made no difference to going offline, sometimes every 15 minutes or so. No point in leaving the system on over night so you will see big gaps in my stats.
I wonder if others are having theses problems with AISMon?
Cheers
Phil
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I cant comment yet, but its a little disappointing it keep dropping on you. :cry:
Hope something can be sorted out.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

G'day

I got an email from Dimitris from Marine Traffic .com this morning asking me if I needed help in getting my station online.

I explained that I dont have a suitable antenna at the moment and am working on it, but asked for my correct port numbers and set up for SLR200N Receiver.

Dimitris sent me back an instructions PDF file, which I went through, but it seemed a bit old and also had incorrect addresse's for IPs and things.

After I followed the setting in the instructions, I found I was then unable to see my unit on my network and when I try to access it via 10.0.0.2 address it says page not found. I looked at it momentarily via Telnet in the set up program but noticed it said the unit itself had gone offline. though the lights are still on, on the unit.

I also looked at my router page and the unit was seen to be plugged in but only had an address of 0.0.0.0

I dont know how to restore it, Ive run out of ideas. Ive sent an email to Peter from Comar who was offering me some advice with set up a while back and also sent back to Marine Traffic.

Just thought I would mention it here incase some knows how I can get the device back to online state and visible on my network.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I see Phil VK5AKK had a good increase in distance this morning out to a bit over 300 nmiles or around 570 Km from what I saw. Will keep an eye on it tonight and morning. :idea:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Saw that Phil had gotten into the VK3 waters a bit further on the coverage map when I checked this morning.
VK5AKK-VK3
VK5AKK-VK3
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

A little bit of activity in the Bight tonight, but looks like VK5AKK station may be offline :cry:

Looks like the Esperance station has RXd a ship right in the lower middle of the Bight and quite a few others closer in which is a little unusual.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Phil, I see ur spots to Wally, AIS not showing up much at the moment from you. Has anything changed on your system ?