FR5DN Tests to Australia (VK6's?)

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Re: FR5DN Tests to Australia (VK6's?)

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Phil

I am a bit too far away to be of much help (north Queensland) but I am very pleased to see an effort to work this path. I am sure it is only a matter of time before it happens. :D

Thank you, 73

Wayne VK4WDM
FR5DN

Re: FR5DN Tests to Australia (VK6's?)

Post by FR5DN »

Hi All,

Many tks for all posts.
I really appreciate them.

Yes, that is not an easy task for me to get /p to try again that VK/FR path, specially in qrl week time.
I still have a lot of work to do to get things optimized...

I can remember more than 10 years ago when FR1GZ Yvon and myself, were going/p around the volcano area in daytime, at some 2000m of altitude in the week ends, to try to get rx from VK6RBU, with great assistance from our good friend Don, VK6HK.

We did not get rx at that time. But, on 2 times, while at his old qth on the NE coast of FR, FR1GZ, closed to the ocean and low altitude, got rx from VK6RBU, but he was doubting about was he was rxing.
Confirmation was done later, when Don made us hear about the signal bcn via 14Mhz. FR1GZ confirmed that it was what he heard on 144Mhz!
So we know the path can be worked. More chances i agree, is from NW coast of VK.

We had no experience on tropo. Nowadays, with ZS/FR path, i have some more, tks to the ZS stations who were also persistent to rx my bcn, and finally open the bridge.

The qth where i was operating from last week, was on the south side of the island at some 500m of altitude, with perfect view towards VK.

This area is at a bit more than 1h drive from my home, and seems to be a good qth for VK. View from 100° to 120° is just fine. It's in a quiet area, inland, no house, just sugar cane. Almost no road traffic, depending on the sugar cane culture working season.

There are probably some more good qth, but it takes time to look around.

So YES, it's just a matter of time to get a qso from FR to VK, and we have to work on that, but we have to get ready when cdx are just fine.

Now we have powerful tools to communicate and make skeds or alert via the www or sms. it was not that easy more than 10 years ago.

We have now very sensitive modes like JT. Not the case before.

The best would be to have a bcn running towards VK. We worked on that with great help of Don, but finally it was very complicated at the time from here in FR land.

The more stations involved on digital modes on VK side, the more chances we have to show the Ham community that very long range VHF DX is possible.

We will see what 2011 will bring!

Vy73 - Phil - FR5DN in LG78qs.