Show us your.... transverter

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Re: Show us your.... transverter

Post by VK4EA »

Lid off the 3.4GHz VK3XDK based transverter. From the left, 432MHz I/F relay, VK5EME sequencer, x2 multiplier, transverter, relay in free space 1484MHz PLL, VK5EME 1W PA, directional coupler for power indicator (future), 28V supply for relay and 8V supply for XDK boards.
VK4EA 3.4GHz transverter
VK4EA 3.4GHz transverter
Complete kit, 9cm, 6cm and 3cm. With Thunderbolt GPS for 10Mhz, various feeds and the venerable FT817 to drive them.
VK4EA 9 to 3cm Microwave transverters - ready to go with FT817, GPS and feeds.
VK4EA 9 to 3cm Microwave transverters - ready to go with FT817, GPS and feeds.
The 3cm and 6cm are internally very similar to the 9cm, except I am using the DEMI PA for 3cm.

And not a bit of plywood in sight :D
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Noice kit :D

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Nice piece of kit, Justin 8)

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Justin

I note the use of NP screws in your pipecaps. There is lower loss per filter if you can find some plain brass screws of the correct length and thread, obviously nickel plating is not as good a conductor as plain brass is. I picked up 2-3dB overall per T/R leg just by changing over all of the screws in mine.

Intriguing daisy chain construction style - but easy to service.

Congrats
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

Great work Justin , i built the same minikits 3.4 GHz transverter a year or so ago , works a treat, you will have some fun with it I have recently set mine up for EME separate rx , tx etc :D cheers . mark VK2AMS
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

3XPD xverter with 5EME xtal oscillator
3XPD xverter with 5EME xtal oscillator
Xverter at feed with 16W Toshiba PA, G4DDK preamp on the Septum feed
Xverter at feed with 16W Toshiba PA, G4DDK preamp on the Septum feed
The feed and xverter can be removed from the feed and the 23cm installed in about 20 mins (the spare cables are for 23cm)

Cheers
Phil VK4CDI
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

gday Phil great to see the pics of your feed and transverter and the fact that they work so well with the recent eme contacts!well done.
cheers :D . mark vk2ams
VK5LA

Post by VK5LA »

Hi all,
This is my Minikits 2.4Ghz Transverter before it goes into an enclosure.
I have added a 2 Watt PA in the form of a WIFI Booster amp via ebay.
This seems to work well when tested during the recent VK5 Microwave test day, and I received good reports from other stations
At less than $40 AUD delivered, this seems a cost effective way to increase the output on 2.4Ghz from the usual 50-60mW barefoot from a transverter.
The unit was supplied with a nasty 100V market Plug pack switch mode power supply, I simply cut the end of the power lead off.
The unit runs on 5 Volts, so I fitted a 7805 Regulator, and wired it to the Delay 3 output on the EME66B sequencer board (J10 and J11).
The unit could could be fitted in line (it's designed to go after a wireless router and the inbuilt RX amp and auto TX/RX switching used), but
as a portable field day TXVTR I thought it better to have it in the TX path only and save some battery power. Others have suggested that it's noise figure would be worse than that of the transverter, so it might be detrimental using the RX function.
I've not done any tests to determine it's actual output power, but the specs say the 50 or so mW of drive is ideal.
Attachments
2.4Ghz.jpg
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

Hi all,

My recent PA upgrade in my 9 cm TRV, now with 20 Watts,
3.4 GHz VK3XDK TRV with new 20 Watt output PA
3.4 GHz VK3XDK TRV with new 20 Watt output PA
Cheers, Steve ZL1TPH
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I'm definitely up for a bit of red light... I asked on here ages ago but there was little (or no) interest at the time.

Coherent light or not, it looks like fun. I have a few circuits for tcvrs, but was loathe to build anything without anyone to talk to at the other end.

And just to add, ANYONE can get involved in this. You don't need an amateur radio license of course. So anyone, schoolkids, youth groups, joe public can get out there and have fun.

The only thing to beware of is using a laser for optical comms and not having a prohibited weapons permit for it in NSW and a locked safe to store it in when not in use. Got to love these OTT NSW laws :lol:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

Gday all,
Im putting together another 10ghz Transverter (for myself) Based on my new (not yet released) 10ghzV2 transverter and pipecap multiplier(not yet released).
It also includes a 2-3watt pa (using my MMIC pa board) and one of my 10ghz LNA's. If had to put an attenuator between the LNA and transverter due to excessive gain (with no shielding) causing oscillations.
Attachments
10ghz V2(a)   .jpg
10ghz V2(b)   .jpg
10ghz V2(c)   .jpg
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

More photos
Attachments
Pipecap multiplier
Pipecap multiplier
My older 10Ghz transverter (V1) up on the pole. (Huge antenna gain!!)
My older 10Ghz transverter (V1) up on the pole. (Huge antenna gain!!)
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

The Pipecap multiplier photo that I meant to send!
Attachments
pipecap multiplier(a)   .jpg
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

WOW! - you're new units looks fantastic!

cheers

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

pipecap filters as an add-on pcb to allow the 13cm transverter to be tuneable to the EME segment of the band would be on my "buy straight away" wish list Graham
looks like you have got the pipecap setup nailed for the multiplier, well done
73 from vk2jds and see you at Gippstech next year
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

I have recently completed my 9cm transvereter based on the W1GHZ board driving the Stealth SM3437 20W PA (which actually deliveres 25-30W). I have just finished the firmware changes to the sequencer to display the power levels from the PA, as well as temperature, supply voltage and current (the current is still a work in progress as I am awaiting the currect shunt resistor).
9cm Xvtr Front View
9cm Xvtr Front View
9cm Inside View
9cm Inside View
More information is available on my website at http://zl2bkc.wordpress.com/projects/9cm-transverter/

More details about my other transvereters (925MHz, 13cm and 3cm) is available here http://zl2bkc.wordpress.com/projects/

Wayne ZL2BKC
VK5RC

Post by VK5RC »

Hi All
Below is my first effort at a transverter
In the front left box is a small relay/diodes to inteface to the FT 817
In the front middle is (the original) VK5EME sequencer
At the front right are the fuses
In the middle is a Kuhne/ DB6NT 10GHZ 144Mhz IF transverter unit
The space at the back is for a Down Eat Microwave 3W PA
At the very rear is the Tx/Rx relay
I am not entirely happy with the layout, but before I mess with it further will get some contacts, family and work commitments allowing.
Any feedback welcomed
Regards Rob Culver VK5RC
Attachments
VK5RC 10GHz .jpg
VK5RC 10GHx TVx.jpg
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi Rob

Really good signals. It's always nice to know it all works :D
I was here (the green pointer): https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-34.6 ... 1&t=m&z=14
This is what my system looks like.
This is what my system looks like.
Note the old LNB used as a feed horn.
Note the old LNB used as a feed horn.
Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5RC

Post by VK5RC »

A good first outing for me, I was a bit suss about noise in my receive line but was quite suprised how clear it was.
I was also a bit suss about ground loops and initially was using 2 different batteries; one for the Thunderbolt ref and one for the transverter but later switched to one battery without any trouble. I think there may be a ground loop with the IF line and the transmit control line between the 817 and the transverter, when I pull it apart I will check, either way it didn't seem to cause any trouble.

Thanks for your efforts this morning despite it being a bit hot and windy.
My actual set up this am is in the photos below, I like your set up esp the lack of wires going everywhere which my setup entails but shouldn't your pre-amp be a bit closer to the relay (hi hi). I tackled that issue by mounting the transverter on the arm of the dish, but it does reduce stability and needed extra woodwork. The best thing I have found of my setup is the little table at the base of the dish, I was originally too lazy to trim the MDF but it has worked a treat.
I am a bit uneasy about how in my set up "wires" are going everywhere which I am sure I will stuff up one day and let the smoke out. I have tried to keep all the connectors different and label both the cable and the socket they connect with, in the field it all has potential to go pear shaped very easily.
I think I will try putting the DEM PA into the box and change the layout a bit.
Again thanks
Robert
Attachments
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Robert,

Well done on getting on the air I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun.

But there's always a BUT!

Before you go any further you should work out an anchoring system for your tripod & dish assembly. Whatever you do, regardless of the weather you should always anchor your tripod securely before you attach anything else to it. If you look back through the posts you'll see that far too many people have had dishes fall over once if not twice and that has been the end of their operation. Your system presents a sizable wind load and trip hazard and it's amazing how little wind or a careless kick or trip on a cable can end in tears.

Don't trust that it will be ok because there's no wind when you set up. I recommend heavy duty tent pegs and rope or tie down straps or tying at least two legs to a fence post or railing or tree. A couple of minutes of over doing it on the ropes and pegs will save buckets of tears.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour