Used prices - transceivers

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2TDN

Re: Used prices - transceivers

Post by VK2TDN »

hey Ron,

yes the lastability and collector value of some of the older radios definately helps to keep their prices higher

and I agree, these new radios can quickly become expensive paperweights :( like everything else we buy these days

one of my early HF radios was a FT200 damn it will probably outlive me :lol:

Dave
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Ron has a point.

I reckon I could keep an old FT101B/ZD or TS520S/820S and the such going indefinitely. There's not much in these old gems that couldn't be repaired by a knowledgeable and resourceful ham. Even the finals. I have in the past replaced the 6JS6S's in an FT101B with a YL1060 dual tetrode to get it working (better than new). An aquaintance of mine has successfully retrofitted a 4CX250B. Not the kind of thing you could do with a modern rig.

I still think the prices being asked for these old rigs are extortionist, though. Any buyer needs to factor in the cost of repairs/resurrection. OK if you have the technical know-how, but even that's got to have a price. And the number of technically savvy hams with the time and inclination to spend on these exploits is dwindling. Still, it's a market, I suppose.

Chas
VK3PY
vk1da
Forum Diehard

Post by vk1da »

I wrote something earlier this year on this subject and it is on my blog at vk1da.info.

A point some newcomers may not realise is that a lot of the older gear has been through many hands, some of them more capable than others. The TS430S and 440S are rigs I have owned myself and I know how much care I took with them. But there are many adjustable circuits, trimpots, tuned circuits etc in those rigs and in particular a power control circuit aimed at limiting the output power to the level the designer thought was safe and would provide long life (also was legal). With some "clever improvements" those power limits can be changed so as to give more power, maybe 20 or more "additional watts" as the user might see it, with less than 1 dB more output power, but accompanied by a likely reduction in equipment life. The ATU for example is designed for a certainly power level. If a ts430 has been tampered with by an unskilled person it might not provide much service if it has been treated in this way.

I also saw the advertised FT790 with its companion 10 watt amplifier (only Yaesu could sell a 10w power amplifer for 432 with only 4.7 dB of gain) and considered offering 150 for it, since that's about what it should be. There are ft817 on the used market for barely more than his $500 but perhaps he has never looked at current equipment. Oddly someone else advertised one of these about a year ago and also used the phrase "great mobile" implying it was great for the FM repeaters, which doesn't really make sense to me. A 3 or 10 watt radio on 440 is not a particularly capable mobile rig. Perhaps this is the same radio?

As a former vendor of new radios I find today's radios offer fantastic value. The TS520S wholesale price in about 1978 was close to $700 including sales tax. Even 10% reduction per year since then reduces it a long way below today's dreamers asking $500 or more for these nice, but aged radios.

If compared with any other type of consumer electronics, this market is nuts. How much would a 10 year old TV or VCR fetch, or a 2 year old MP3 player?
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Another fall out of chair laughing moment today... An old KDK (remember those?) 2m FM rig for $185. :lol:

I think I'd prefer a BRAND NEW Yaesu FT-2800M, 144 MHz 65W FM transceiver which does pretty much everything for $179.00 AUD.

I had one of those old 25W KDK's when first licensed. I sold mine via the Junk Sale at the North Wales Amateur Radio Rally in about 1993. I think I got about £20 for it.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4DD

Post by VK4DD »

Hi Gents,
VK2GOM:
Another fall out of chair laughing moment today... An old KDK (remember those?) 2m FM rig for $185. :lol:

I think I'd prefer a BRAND NEW Yaesu FT-2800M, 144 MHz 65W FM transceiver which does pretty much everything for $179.00 AUD.
Indeed Rob go for the new Yeasu :)
An other reason why the second hand market is relative "strong" is because "we love to buy second hand gear" in VK.
Probably because we think we save money. You see the same with cars... 7 years old and still half the new price... :?

As far as selling gear... here are a few strategies I have spotted....

The first one sells at a reasonable and fixed price and keeps that price till the end.
Perhaps a margin or 5- 10% is negotiable.

The second one tests the market with a high price... and if it does not sell... they come down with the price.
I don't like floating prices... it reminds me from trips over seas were you are ripped off.
Personally I will avoid this type of seller.

A third category sellers is not familiar with the value of a product or just wants a quick sale....
These adds normally are sold within a minute....
Check the VK HAM very early in the morning or late in the evening.. that is when you find these opportunities mostly.

Personally I sell gear in the first and third category. Never in the second.

Other categories are fake and hams selling bad gear as good or new gear.
That is not in the spirit of Ham radio.

73 Ron
VK4DD
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

I am beginning to think this topic is past it's use-by date.
It's becoming a regular commentary as items appear for sale on VK Classifieds... and could go on for ever.

I think we have well established that some people dream about getting more than what buyers might reasonably spend.
Good luck to them.

So from here, I think there is no further need to single out specific ads to pick on.
Even more so if you have no interest in buying the item to begin with.
VK4DD wrote:The first one sells at a reasonable and fixed price and keeps that price till the end.
Perhaps a margin or 5- 10% is negotiable.
What some people think to be reasonable, others may not.
And, if it's negotiable at all, how on earth can the price be "fixed"?
VK4DD wrote:The second one tests the market with a high price... and if it does not sell... they come down with the price.
I don't like floating prices... it reminds me from trips over seas were you are ripped off.
Personally I will avoid this type of seller.
The logic here needs to be questioned.
In the real world, it's how most things are traded.
Seller meets buyer.
When selling a property, do you put it on the market at a low price to start with.
Of course not.
You are trying to achieve the best price possible, so you start high, (testing the market), and come down to meet the market.
A buyer will only pay so much, and all buyers are different.
Something might be worth so much to one buyer, and the same item is worth more (or less) to somebody else.

These people that seem to think that sellers set a price, live in fairy land... unless buyers think it is a fair price to begin with.

Sellers can set a price, but if it's too high, then it will remain unsold... just gathering dust.
It is important to note that these people aren't actually sellers - they are dreamers.
Dreamers are too stubborn for their own good to realise that buyers find better value elsewhere.

Regarding the "rippoff" holiday, you obviously thought it was a good deal at the time, because you agreed to the price.
You were either happy to pay the price, and pay it, or you could have said "NO" and walked away.

I don't understand why people moan about something after they have willingly agreed to pay the price. :roll:
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK4DD

Post by VK4DD »

VK4CP wrote
Regarding the "rippoff" holiday, you obviously thought it was a good deal at the time, because you agreed to the price.
You were either happy to pay the price, and pay it, or you could have said "NO" and walked away.

I don't understand why people moan about something after they have willingly agreed to pay the price. :roll:
No Adam not for the Holiday... itself.
In certain countries the goods you buy in the shops like for instance shops in Singapore. Some have no fixed prices.
I don't like the haggling you need to do to get the price down.
I have seen the same in Africa, Indonesia etc etc.
There is no moaning ... I don't buy in these shops.
Wikipedia:
Bargaining or haggling is a type of negotiation in which the buyer and seller of a good or service dispute the price which will be paid and the exact nature of the transaction that will take place, and eventually come to an agreement. Bargaining is an alternative pricing strategy to fixed prices. Optimally, if it costs the retailer nothing to engage and allow bargaining, he can divine the buyer's willingness to spend. It allows for capturing more consumer surplus as it allows price discrimination, a process whereby a seller can charge a higher price to one buyer who is more eager (by being richer or more desperate). Haggling has largely disappeared in parts of the world where the cost to haggle exceeds the gain to retailers for most common retail items. However, for expensive goods sold to uninformed buyers such as automobiles, bargaining can remain commonplace.
73 Ron
VK4DD
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

VK4CP wrote:I am beginning to think this topic is past it's use-by date.
Hallelujah!! I'll second that.

What is the point of whingeing, whining & complaining - you are not obligated to buy - are you?

The topic of this thread should be renamed to something more appropriate...

"Grumpy Old VK Men" has an apt ring to it.
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I'll continue to laugh, and fall out of my chair at the used prices. Alone... 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Rob,

You are not alone! I also fell of my chair this morning. Cant say why of course!!

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

I could conceivably fall off the planet if this keeps up! :lol: :twisted:
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK5LTD
Forum Novice

Post by VK5LTD »

After a dormant period of radio activity ( 5-7 years) I've got the station going again and considering an upgrade to my IC725 - which is now over 20 years old!

VKHam seems to be the market place and ebay also but I'm sooo out of touch with the models not sure where to start.

Are there some good reference websites that provide a concise report on radios from the major manufacturers???

EHam has a lot of reviews but I would like to narrow down to a few models before reading too much of these opinions.

Would really be base use only and the IC706/TS50 type radios seem primarily mobile radios. I would like a decent size display and not too many functions accessible only by layers of menus. Looks like the old S meters disappeared long ago so another adjustment to make!

Not fussed between Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu - Iv'e had good experiences with all these makes?

Any suggestions??
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Personally, I take eHam "reviews" with a BIG pinch of salt. Way too many people who seem to be working at justifying their purchases in their own minds.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK5LTD
Forum Novice

Post by VK5LTD »

VK3DXE wrote:Personally, I take eHam "reviews" with a BIG pinch of salt. Way too many people who seem to be working at justifying their purchases in their own minds.
The reviews are subjective of course but where else would you suggest is a better source of opinion & comparrison?
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

VK3DXE wrote:Personally, I take eHam "reviews" with a BIG pinch of salt. Way too many people who seem to be working at justifying their purchases in their own minds.
+1

Eham reviews can be useful if you scan through them for the lowest scores. Sometimes you will find someone who compares rigs realistically, rather than just saying "this is my first rig and I love it!".
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK2MEV wrote:Eham reviews can be useful if you scan through them for the lowest scores. Sometimes you will find someone who compares rigs realistically, rather than just saying "this is my first rig and I love it!".
Not only the lowest scores but realistic descriptions and comparisons.

In addition to first rig owners with rose coloured glasses there are also the ones who buy a $1000 rig and only give it a 4/5 because they're saving the perfect score for the perfect rig. This is rubbish, because the perfect rig would be exceptionally expensive. If you get great value for money and are happy then 5/5 is a realistic score. What they're really saying is they're taking 1 point off the score because they're a tightarse with their money, they're expecting the perfect rig at bargain basement prices. Not gonna happen!!
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Ah, this thread has popped up again.

The ham radio market isn't much different to any other market place.
Seller's always have an over inflated price and buyers always want the same item for free.

The real price is what the seller is prepared to let the radio go for.
Now if ever owner of an FT101 thinks his radio is worth $2000 and they will all not sell for less than that, then speculation has created the price.
If you want an FT101 and nobody will sell one to you for less than that, then you have two choices. Pay the $2k or go without.

Next thing that happens is that FT101's are worth $5000 and you think, damn ! I should have bought in at $2k.
Eventually the radio's go to $10k. You buy in before they go to $20k and then everybody suddenly wants to sell theirs and the price plummets to back $50 because the bubble has burst. Welcome to commodities (ft)101 :D

About the best market valuer I think is ebay. Not the "buy it now" price. But the real time auctions.
Of course if the radio you are looking for is not currently listed, then it is hard to gauge what the going price is for a radio.
But one thing for sure is that if you are selling a radio there you will get what everybody thinks the radio is worth. If it is over priced then it won't sell.

At hamfests I both buy and sell radios for various purposes.
When buying I do not mind asking the seller for a price. I expect him to tell me the price he would "like" to get for his radio.
If it is a good price, then I hand over the cash. If I "want" that radio then I will test him to see how much he wants to sell it.

Offering a price I would be prepared to part with it for if I'd been given the radio and didn't like it.

Somebody that wants to sell will then haggle for the price. If the price is firm, then I have to decide if I am going to pay that price.
Sometimes I won't, sometimes I will. It depends on how much I want that radio.

An example is a Kenwood TM-2400. This is a 2.4GHz 1W radio. As rare as hens teeth. I would not be surprised to see one of these radios sell for $1500 on ebay.
But I wouldn't pay that price for one even though I would like to have one. And if cheap chinese 2.4GHz mobile radios flood the market, they will be worthless overnight. That day may never come and I may never own one of those radios.

If I'm buying at a hamfest and I think a radio is worth the asking price, but it is not a price that causes me to prioritise other items before it on the day then I will come back to that seller as my last purchase for the day or I will get his details and contact him after the event when I have cash more freely available for the purchase.

If I sell a radio on ebay, then I'm prepared to let a radio go for $1. The highest bidder will determine what it is actually worth.
If I sell at a hamfest well I have the option to say no. So I will have a good asking price which I know will sell. It is then a matter for the buyers to either realise a good deal and buy it before somebody else does or to make an offer that is worth the wait for a buyer or the cost of taking the radio home.

If the radio is over priced, then I will be sitting on dead money.
If it is under priced and the buyer does not take advantage of that then he will lose out.

I had a radio for sale many years ago at Wyong. It was a 70cm mobile and a bargain at $50.
Some old tight a*** (I'm hoping he reads this just so it jerks his chain again) offered me $20 for it knowing too well it was a steal at $50.
He would not pay the $50 and I was not prepared to sell it for less than that. He hung around like a bad smell hoping I would cave in.
Then a young fella came along and took an interest in it. He had the $50 but he told me he couldn't buy it because he didn't have a licence.
yes - I'm a bad person - I told him that nobody would care, least of all me. He should buy it and at least he could listen to it.
The old fart jumped out of the woodwork and said, "You can't sell that radio to an unlicensed person !"
To which I told the young fella he could have if for $20. The old guy stormed off mumbling about ringing the ACMA.
(yeah, like I'm not already on their list) :D

The following year the same young fella came back and told me because of that radio he was so determined to get his licence and got his novice ticket about three months after buying the radio. My $30 loss was worth every cent and I'm hoping that it's still making somebody angry somewhere :)

Hams, they have deep pockets and very short arms.
Know your market. Don't pay too much and don't expect to get something for nothing.
VK2FJCM
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FJCM »

I use eHam reviews like most people do and get something out of it. I think that if a piece of equipment has a lot of reviews that are averaging higher scores then that is a good start. If I'm really keen on something I will read all of the really long reviews to see what seems to be the most common pros and cons.

Another suggestion is to see if there is a Yahoo group to join and read up some more from contributors who have been using the gear and this seems to fill some of the blank spots I may be thinking about. Perhaps some gear has some known issues that need to be dealt with that may be either expensive but worth it. I had been looking at a TS690s some time ago and joined the Yahoo group, downloaded and read the instruction and service manual, read the eham reviews and even looked up mods & repairs as well as some mentions of the radio in some online forums. Google really is everyone's friend when it comes to doing so research.
I eventually decided to buy a 690s when one popped up at a great price and since receiving and using it could not be happier. I knew it might lose the readout and in time it did but it was a known issue I had read about that was easily fixed and now works as good as new.

As far as prices go I'm with 2XSO. I think as mentioned in in earlier posts in this thread that some of the prices of older and rare pieces of equipment are way out of whack for what they are. Nostalgia or dedicated collectors may be to blame here but that's just my view. As much as some people may hate or love ebay it seems to give an idea of what a number of people are prepared to pay. Good luck with whaterver you decide upon.
Angelo
VK2FJCM
Jindabyne, NSW
QF43HM
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

While older rigs are overpriced, I think that newer used rigs have become underpriced.

I recently sold my 3 y.o mint (isn't every used radio?) IC746pro online and it took many goes to finally sell it at 45% of its original price with extras thrown in to sweeten the deal. I was hoping for 60-65%. Likewise my IC7000 was sold cheap too. Perhaps the new range of fancy Icom rigs (7200/7410/7600/9100) have forced used prices down somewhat.

In short I think the used market commonly faces liquidity problems.

Also think back to when eBay first launched, it was more like an online garage sale with genuine people selling stuff they no longer wanted and the market could fairly determine an item's price. But today, it is full of business sellers (and scammers) selling large quantities of the same item at fixed prices. Not many private radio sellers these days. And what about the buyers? There seems to be a trend where they do not bid until the last 2 seconds to keep the bidding activity and prices down.

Cheers

VK2VHF
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2VHF wrote: Also think back to when eBay first launched, it was more like an online garage sale with genuine people selling stuff they no longer wanted and the market could fairly determine an item's price. But today, it is full of business sellers (and scammers) selling large quantities of the same item at fixed prices. Not many private radio sellers these days. And what about the buyers?
There are still plenty of private sellers that use ebay but there have been a couple of things that have discouraged them from selling in the past couple of years.
The first was ebay's fee's were too high. So it was just cheaper and simpler to sell your gear on vkham etc.

The second was that some people felt they got less than their radios were worth. But that is to be expected when you auction anything.
Auctions do two things well. They sell things fast or they sell in demand items for the best price.
They don't sell ordinary items for a good price.

I haven't come across too many scam sellers. Most of the commercial sellers are pretty straight forward and honest. I've come across one or two that haven't been too honest or are misleading.

There are more scam buyers these days. People who claim they did not receive an item is the most common.
There are some buyers that seem to actually look for infrequent sellers to scam.

There are also some that receive an item and then make a claim of something very minor. ie; "This radio has scratches on it and they were not mentioned in the description." The reason behind this is to extort the seller. The scam buyer wants a discount and knows or thinks he has the buyer by the balls.
If the buyer says, "Well just send the radio back and I'll refund your money,." The scam buyer is then cut between knowing he now has to hand back a good radio and isn't going to get a discount and has to pay for the return postage.
Of course to punish the seller they give them a negative feedback.

A friend sold a radio. The new owner claimed the radio didn't work and lodged a claim. My friend could have just said no, but he asked him a few questions before just accepting that maybe something was damaged during transit even though that is unlikely. The buyer was upset that he was not going to be reimbursed for the return postage and of course went on the slander my friend.
When the radio was returned it was obvious what had happened. He'd reverse polarised the radio. I replaced the burn out 1N4007 and the radio was as good as new.

[/quote]There seems to be a trend where they do not bid until the last 2 seconds to keep the bidding activity and prices down.[/quote]
Ah ! The art of the snipe !

When you are auction hunting you have to understand the rules of auctions and the psychology behind them.
The first is yes, people do snipe and it is very common. The reason is an attempt to keep the price lower because there is always an idiot who doesn't understand auctions.

The purpose is not to give the dolt time to think about his bid. Since he isn't actually serious about buying the item, he just thinks he might get it for $2.87.
You can review the bid history as see these kinds of idiots.
Lets say it is a radio that everybody expects will sell for $100 and is currently sitting at $5 with one day to go.
The dolt will bid $11, and get instantly outbid by somebody who put a sensible bid of say $85.
The dolt will then bid $15, and then $20, then $25 and then $30.
At this point he might go away for half an hour and come back and then bid $40, then $50, and then $55 and so on.
Then he might bid $58, $60, $61, $62.50 etc.
Don't believe in ESP ? You can hear the bidder's thoughts !

So if none of the serious bidders bid until the last minute the dolt will be $20 and be the highest bidder up until that last minute.
He will of course think that he is going to get the item for this price and doesn't have time to think about bidding against anybody else.

Some of the more serious bidders may place a sensible bid, but when I higher bid comes along, they may realise they were undervaluing the item and have that few seconds to realise their stupidity and correct for it. The snipe also doesn't give these people the chance to realise that they were being a tight a*** and if they had not been so tight they could have still got the radio for a good price.
Sour grapes is the result.
What I do hear a lot is "I missed out on that item by $1"
No, you were the second highest bidder and you did not get outbid by a dollar. You got outbid yes, but not by the automatic increment of the auction.
The person that beat you may have had a bid $20 higher, so your extra dollar you would have still lost and cost that bidder an extra dollar.
As a seller on ebay, you would encourage this kind of stupidity because your item doesn't sell for the highest bid, it actually sells for the second highest bid.

So that is the psychology of your opponents. Most of them are easy to outwit.
What your left with is a handful of serious buyers who are all going to pay something close to what you would like to get for your item.
This is where the rules of bidding come into play.

The highest bidder wins of course.
But secondary to this that people do not understand is that the first bidder wins.
If three buyers all place a bid of $100, then the one that placed this bid first is the one who will win.
So placing your bid at the very last second is not the best solution.

The rules for you bid are simple. Bid the highest amount you are prepared to pay for the item taking into consideration the cost of postage etc.
Never outbid yourself. If you have to place a higher bid, then you were never serious about the item in the first place. You don't need or want it.
Bid late. Late enough so that nobody else has time to think about trumping your bid, but early enough to get your bid in first.

There is also the buy it now price. It is always tempting to try and get something for cheaper. But if the buy it now price is below you maximum bid, then take advantage of it. I've seen the first bidder of an item bid over the buy it now price many times.

If you do not win an item, then don't worry, there is always another one tomorrow.
If you know there isn't going to be another one tomorrow and you really want that item, then your bid should reflect that.
You wouldn't mind paying $110 on a second hand item you know would cost you $150 elsewhere.

On the reverse side, consider that it is an auction and that you do not exactly get the chance to test drive an item and this too should reflect your bid.
If you're buying a car at an auction, you don't get to test drive it and quite often don't even get to hear the motor running. Your bid should be based on what you can see. A car that does not run. So it should be for a radio on ebay. The buyer should demonstrate that the radio is functional, but your bid should reflect that it is not unless he will guarantee that. I have bought radios where the seller was honest and showed the power output of a radio. The output he showed in his photo was under rating the radio's rated power output. Not that I cared, I was happy to buy that radio even with 80% of it's output power.
When I received the radio I tested it and found that it was actually putting out more than the rated power because the seller had used a lossy cable for the test.
No doubt that was a consideration for some of the other bidders as several of them had bid at a slightly cheaper price to reflect that.
My gamble paid off for me, but I was still prepared to pay more than everybody else because I wanted that specific model radio and I know they don't come up very often.

Even after the auction is over, you should not just walk away from it. Go back and look and learn.
Look at all the bidders and if you can look at how each of them bid and look at what other items they have been bidding on.
I think ebay may have closed that little avenue, but I used to look at all the other bidders and learn how each of them bid.
I would then go and look at some of the items they were also bidding on and I would find other items that I would also like but had not considered searching for.
Then of course I could easily outbid them because I knew how they were going to bid even before they knew.

Some other tips are to broaden your searches.
Sometimes items have obscure listings and are not so easy to find.
For example if you are looking for a 70cm radio then you might search for: 70cm, UHF or 440MHz.
But you should also search for 432MHz and 400 and 432. A radio that is listed as 432MHz may not turn up in many other searches, and so if you do an obscure search and an item turns up which isn't in any other searches, chances are you will pick it up for a good price.

Know your market, know your limits and know the item your buying.
A little bit of common sense and caution and you will pick up a good radio for a very good price.
It's better to get a good item for a cheap price than a bad item for an expensive price; so assess the item, set your price and stick to it. :mrgreen:

I forgot to mention .... www.auctionsniper.com if you want an automated sniper. You can just set your price and sit back and wait.
It will also do some detailed searches for you and send you an email if it finds anything. I have TM2400 in my searches so whenever one of these radios appears on ebay, I get an email.