ON4KHG Roger beep with Picaxe

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: ON4KHG Roger beep with Picaxe

Post by VK5ZD »

I've built one inside the both my FT-817 microphones using the Picaxe 08m2 chip. As well as the roger beep/pip (mine is 60mS long), if you give three presses on the PTT it goes into 'beacon mode' where it generates a tone with a CW ident every 30 seconds (useful for peaking microwave dishes). It reverts to normal if you press the PTT again. There's also a 5 minute timeout.
RB_Microphone.jpg
Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4FP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4FP »

Nice one Iain..Very useful..
Cheers de Lloyd VK4FP
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK5ZD wrote:I've built one inside the both my FT-817 microphones using the Picaxe 08m2 chip. As well as the roger beep/pip (mine is 60mS long), if you give three presses on the PTT it goes into 'beacon mode' where it generates a tone with a CW ident every 30 seconds (useful for peaking microwave dishes). It reverts to normal if you press the PTT again. There's also a 5 minute timeout.
A great idea Iain, would like to do the same with my 817 mic.
Can you provide a link to the schematic, or perhaps post it here as an attachment, along with the PICAXE code?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

This is a short article I wrote for our club newsletter which has the schematic and Picaxe code.
Don't forget to change the callsign in the code :lol:
As an alternative you could use the tone switch on the back of the microphone to activate the beacon by connecting it to the spare pin (C.4) on the Picaxe and altering the code accordingly. Obviously you lose the option of changing the tone setting but I never alter it anyway.
RogerBeep.PDF
(274.84 KiB) Downloaded 929 times
Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi all

Just a few extra thoughts for this project...

I also use a 'beacon generator' board in my 817. I don't use a 'roger beep' but opted to use the switch on the back of the mic to turn on a beacon transmission to aid in finding my signal during dish alignment etc.

My 817 came with a (non functional) speech compressor board wired into the mic and activated using the switch. Whoever built the board left out an audio coupling cap so it never ever worked!!!

I removed that and rearranged the wiring to incorporate a small picaxe circuit similar to Iains but using different code. When I switch it on, it will run indefinitely until the mic button is pressed, which terminates the program.

It must be switched off and back on to restart it. Rather than generating a single tone, it generates a very distinctive 'hee-haw" tone much like emergency vehicles use! It cannot be mistaken for a spur or heterodyne in the receiver!!
This is interupted around every 20 seconds or so with a 'standard' CW CQ call (using my callsign of course).

Rather than just feeding the near square wave output from the picaxe to the mic circuit, I opted to add a simple RC lowpass filter which results in a more triangular wave output. This sounds 'smoother' on air than the square wave.

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT