CQ Magazine Jan feb and march 2014

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2XV
Frequent Poster

Re: CQ Magazine Jan feb and march 2014

Post by VK2XV »

VK4GHZ wrote:Terry, exactly! :thumbup: It's easy to print digital magazines, but not so practical to scan in a dead tree with 100% OCR reliability.
I have a couple of plastic in-trays for my current projects (MS and radio astronomy) and I print off the few pages of something I have downloaded which are relevant. I don't need to search through a book for something which I vaguely remember I saw. But then, I get up each day rearing to go on some project or other (currently radio astronomy). I get up at 4:00am some mornings with an idea I want to explore before my XYL diverts my attention towards more important tasks (mowing, etc). I also have a kindle on which I have a bunch of PDFs about radio astronomy which I take anywhere where I have to sit and wait. Can't stand waiting - waste of precious life moments. I am 65 - so statistics (and observations of my cohort) say I have from 0 to maybe 30 years of biological CPU cycles left = too much to learn, too little time...
VK4GHZ wrote:Most of us have periodic clean outs of magazines and books. Often it takes many years to wake up to the fact it's probably obsolete, or just as long to break the emotional bond which has prevented us from getting rid of it sooner.
Amen - I felt ill from guilt when the last lot (~about 20kg of tree) went into recycling.
VK4GHZ wrote:Sometimes you can't even give these dead trees away... nobody else wants em either.
Yes - tried that. As the bulk of my 'surplus to requirements' book were reference books (some DO get overtaken by modern technology) I could not find a home for any of them bar the recycling bin...
Steve VK2XV/VK2ZTO
North Richmond, NSW QF56ik
http://www.joataman.net
You are truly knowledgeable when you know what you don't know...