CTCSS Tone Planning on repeaters

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Re: CTCSS Tone Planning on repeaters

Post by VK3MEG »

Just had one of our local repeaters on the bench and changed the tone to 91.5Hz to conform to the WIA national standard.

You VK3's should be able to try hitting it now.

439.825MHz - VK7RTC
mt macedon is on that frequency with the same tone makes it almost impossible to try for that one
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

So let me get this right
91.5 national to prevent interference
Co channel repeaters all using same tone
stations in range of both hitting and opening up both
I sometimes hear three here on tropo VK5 VK3 and VK7 and occ VK1/VK2

Good trick :silent:
Tread your own path :om:
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Spot the brain cell... other than mute protection against intermods, having different CTCSS tones allows the user to select different repeaters with overlapping service areas... sigh...
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

VK3KCX wrote:... having different CTCSS tones allows the user to select different repeaters with overlapping service areas... sigh...
I would have thought that there were enough repeater pairs that no two repeaters that service the same area would use the same frequencies to start with.

I think hitting distant repeaters by accident when there's a duct running is great! Anyway, I would imagine the chances of 1. A duct running, and 2. There being something very important happening on the repeater where this would cause a tiz at that time is so slim as to relegate it to a theoretical hypothetical.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3RGL <=> VK7RAA

There's plenty of ducting covering the two but only VK3RGL has tone. This means the Geelong crew always key both repeaters.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

I have always been intrigued why Geelong and Mt. Barrow repeaters were allocated the same channel....
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

Hello Glenn .
It was in the days when there were only four repeater channels allocated and propagation across Bass Strait was very rare DX .

To change things now would be rather difficult although could be done as VK7RAA is to be removed from Mt Barrow due to site fees escalating from $1200 per year to over $6K .

We have looked at an alternative frequency but almost all are used somewhere in VK3 plus we have several off air links that would require changing .

Ideally a complete rebuild of the whole system would be nice but the cost and someone to do it is another question .
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Thought so, Joe.

Thanks

Glenn
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Sad news about Mt Barrow Joe.

Will you be able to find an alternate site?

As was mentioned elsewhere, the likelihood of a duct causing problems with VK7RAA <=> VK3RGL is very slight. I don't know about you mainlanders but I've always enjoyed the contacts into Mt Barrow as it gives us a chance to catch up.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

In Summer time we have regular Tropo up and down the coast of New South Wales. In fact there are times where it is present over Summer for a week or more, 24/7 at times. I remember going to a repeater meeting in Sydney some years ago and others (From VK3 and inland NSW) were astounded that Tropo was so prevalent. In fact they hadnt even considered it in band planning. I have worked VK7, VK4, VK5 and ZL from VK2 (Wollongong) on 2Metres (some of those were on FM via repeaters) so i assume VK3 to VK7 is much more likely to be an issue. The idea of using the same CTCSS tone is short sighted especially with the rapidly growing congestion especially on 2Metres. One usually has to look up whether a repeater has a tone or not anyway, so using different tones on closely sited repeaters on the same frequency (ie: lets be reasonable within 300 kilometres) shouldn't be an issue. All radios sold within the last 10 - 15 years, bar old converted land mobile radios, have user selectable CTCSS. Setting different tones in repeaters will save a lot of interference in the long run, and also promote repeater DX.

Incidentally the DStar repeaters could have be allocated a 25KHz chunk of 2Metres and allow 3 channels (as they are narrow band) that could be alternated and save them ending up between FM repeaters. I mentioned that too but they rolled there eyes at the time. Now i guess it is too late

The proposed changes to the 2Metre Band plan is a real dogs dinner and too much emphasise is given to systems and data services that are under utilised. The back bone of 2Metres is SSB down low and FM voice up higher, not Dstar, P25, Mototurbo, Echolink, IRLP, RTTY, SSTV, CW Practice beacons, information Beacons?

My 20cents worth. Let the flaming begin :D
Tony
VK2TS
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

VK2TS wrote: All radios sold within the last 10 - 15 years, bar old converted land mobile radios, have user selectable CTCSS. Setting different tones in repeaters will save a lot of interference in the long run, and also promote repeater DX.
.... And most of them (the amateur series anyway) have a heap of memory channels available. It becomes simple to set up the same RF pairs in multiple memory channels with different CTCSS access tones. At least some of the Land Mobile radios can have the same thing done.

It sounds like a good idea to me too.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

A little off topic .

Thanks Lou it is always a pleasure to work into and hear VK3 stations and having CTCSS on RGL it is possible for you to enjoy a VK7 contact without keying up RGL .

Yes we are looking at relocating to MT Arthur where VK7RAB is located although a slightly different site .

It will give much the same coverage as Mt Barrow although about 300 feet lower but 10K closer to VK3 .
One downside is that it is Solar powered so will have to reduce the TX output to around 25Watts .

Our lease expires next July so have a little time to get back up and running we are still in the negotiation phase as we wish to co locate with the CH2 UHF CB repeater .

Watch this space for further updates. :-) .

Regards.
Joe
VK7JG