Operating In New Zealand With Standard Licence

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: Operating In New Zealand With Standard Licence

Post by VK2ZRH »

Australian Advanced licences have a declaration of conformity with CEPT T/R 61-02 on the licence document (in three languages IIRC).
You recall correctly, Owen. On my licence, the declaration is in English, German and French - in that order (top to bottom). :)

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2ZRH wrote:
Australian Advanced licences have a declaration of conformity with CEPT T/R 61-02 on the licence document (in three languages IIRC).
You recall correctly, Owen. On my licence, the declaration is in English, German and French - in that order (top to bottom). :)

Well, I recalled incorrectly, the declaration is conformance to CEPT T/R 61-01 which basically makes I think the licence valid for temporary operation in participating jurisdictions like New Zealand, and I think it implies conformance with CEPT T/R 61-02 for say issue of a longer term licency by an administration.

Yep, it is in the notes sections along with the stuff binding the licence to the two LCDs and reminding us of our EME (EMR) obligations.

Owen
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

VK1OD wrote:
VK2ZRH wrote: You recall correctly, Owen. On my licence, the declaration is in English, German and French - in that order (top to bottom). :)

Well, I recalled incorrectly, the declaration is conformance to CEPT T/R 61-01 which basically makes I think the licence valid for temporary operation in participating jurisdictions like New Zealand, and I think it implies conformance with CEPT T/R 61-02 for say issue of a longer term licency by an administration.

Yep, it is in the notes sections along with the stuff binding the licence to the two LCDs and reminding us of our EME (EMR) obligations.

Owen
My reciprocal licence (not the AOCP(A) which I lack) has T/R 61-01 after the EMR and LCD paragraphs.
My AOCP(F) interestingly, states "competency standards accord with ITU recommendation ITU-RM 1544".
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK/9V1CJ wrote:...
My AOCP(F) interestingly, states "competency standards accord with ITU recommendation ITU-RM 1544".
Have you read ITU-R M.1544? It contains a very brief list of subject areas, it doesn't really set a competency standard.

The ITU Radio Regulations have recommended that administrations require technical knowledge for issue of amateur licences in Article 25, and it now references ITU-R M.1544 but between them, they don't really set a competency. This may be the outcome of member administrations failing to agree on a standard competency.

By contrast, CEPT T/R 61-02 which includes specification of the level of knowledge includes a 13 page "EXAMINATION SYLLABUS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR A HAREC" and specifies some formulas that form part of the competency.

From CEPT T/R 61-02, the following differentiates the quantitative approach of our exams for Advanced from the lower grades:
a) Where quantities are referred to, candidates should know the units in which these quantities are
expressed, as well as the generally used multiples and sub-multiples of these units.
b) Candidates must be familiar with the compound of the symbols.
c) Candidates must know the following mathematical concepts and operations:
- adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing
- fractions
- powers of ten, exponentials, logarithms
- squaring
- square roots
- inverse values
- interpretation of linear and non-linear graphs
- binary number system
d) Candidates must be familiar with the formulae used in this syllabus and be able to transpose them.
Essentially, you should need a scientific calculator (or slide rule, log/trig tables etc) to complete the CEPT T/R 61-02 compliant exams (such as our Advanced), whereas an ordinary four function calculator should be enough for the lower grades. Conversely, if you do not need a scientific calculator (or the like) to answer some questions on an exam, it is probably not CEPT T/R 61-02 compliant.

I cannot comment on whether New Zealand accepts the endorsement on your AOCP(F), you would need to ask the regulatory authority. New Zealand used have more than one grade of amateur licence, and IIRC about 10 years ago they changed to a single grade, converting all existing licences to that single grade. Since the "General amateur operator’s certificate" is listed as HAREC compliant, some ZL hams may have got a licence promotion without examination and if that was the case, the regulatory authority might not be principled. (As part of their two tier proposal, the WIA proposed licence promotion without examination for the Novice grades here 10 years ago, but the ACMA rejected that.)

Owen