VK4 Microwave Activity Day - July 28

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Re: VK4 Microwave Activity Day - July 28

Post by VK4EA »

No reply from vk4qf, so I'm definitely off to Kobble Creek.

I have found another site for those looking for a place, Gus Beutel's Lookout, Ravensbourne National Park looks pretty good..... wish I could be 100% sure as it was dark and very foggy when got there last night on the way to Toowoomba.

My /P profile is up to date, be good if everybody else does the same so I know where to point :lol:
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

Beutels lookout should be pretty good. Our local club did a John Moyle contest from there one year. Phil, VK4CDI & I were the VHF/UHF operators. I think we made more points than the HF station did. The ground slopes away sharply in front of the lookout, at least, so foliage attenuation should not be too bad.

John VK4TJ
VK4KLC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KLC »

Hi Guys

Unfortunately I wont be around next Sunday. Earlier intentions were that I would participate but that's not going to happen now.
Enjoy the day guys

Ron VK4KLC
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

28th Test and Tune

Post by VK4CRO »

hi All , vk4wie/p will operate from QG62bh ----600m ASL 1.5 hrs from Brisbane sw of Gatton
Operators vk4mjf , vk4ne ,vk4cro and vk4cps
1296 - 2.4 and 10ghz
Hope to hear you all
73,s Ron

Admin Edit: This post moved to the existing topic, to prevent fragmentation of discussion.
Cheers
Ron cro
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Re: 28th Test and Tune

Post by VK4EA »

Ron,

Have you updated the vk4wie/p profile with the lat/long? Otherwise I won't know which way to point.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CRO »

hi Peter , our lat / long is -27 40 1.01 152 6 36

This is roughly the site , I will update after we arrive to exact figures
see you on Sunday
Ron
Cheers
Ron cro
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Ron

Thanks for the lat./long.. I've run a few profiles to look at the location to give an early indication of the path potential, and in doing that have assumed that you'll be at Eygpt near 500mASL (just near where you have indicated). The results are:

VK4OE assuming Springbrook (as Brindle Creek still closed as at this morning - last update still date 4/7/13)
Springbrook to Egypt profile.jpg
VK4EA at Kobble Creek
Kobble Creek to Egypt profile.jpg
VK4CZ at Mt Mee
Mt Mee to Egypt profile.jpg
VK4UH at Howells Knob
Howells Knob to Egypt profile.jpg
I ran the path west to VK4GHZ at Katoomba Lookout and is LOS. :wink:

Good luck. Look forward to hearing the VK4WIE/P team from there.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4EKA

Post by VK4EKA »

Ron,
I have cps as slightly north of that in QG62 BI, not that it will make much difference for most people aiming at your portable location.
Elevation more like 590 m asl.
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

VK4RBN is now back on air, just returned from the site where I installed new cavity filters and repeater radio.

N.B., no tail, it works, no need to 'kerchunk' to check, just talk :evil:

So far had reports from Helensvale, Fernvale, Redcliffe, Toowong, so it's working fine.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4EA wrote:VK4RBN is now back on air...
Excellent work Peter.
Much appreciated.

Looking forward to this Sunday.
Under the pump here, to finish the new dual-band 5.7-10G transveter system.
Should post in the "What's on your workbench" topic, but what the hell...

Currently installed Kuhne G3 module for 5.7 GHz + "Wellington VHF Group" PA + integrated FT-817 IF rig (no repatching!).

MKU 10G3 will be fitted into this soon!

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ZEJ »

Adam,

Look forward to seeing it in action on Sunday when I'm up there with you in Toowoomba.

Eddie - VK4EDD
VK4AQF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4AQF »

Ill probably go to a lookout of Mt Nebo Rd, suspect its at QG62KO..so far, bands 1296,2403,5760, and ATV 10430 FMTV, 1250 FMTV.
Hope to catch at least some of you on something :D
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Car is all packed, camera batteries charged, ATV transmitter all prepped. Looks like the weather gods are smiling, what possibly could go wrong?

I'll be setup by 9.30 am, listening to the WIA news via the 147.000mhz Mt Glorious repeater. As soon as the callback is finished that repeater is ours to use for liaison.

Suggest everybody starts with 1.2 and 2.4 from about 10am, working as many stations as possible. We will then know exactly where to point. After that, let's try 10ghz, as not everybody has 3.4 or 5.7. After that, free for all ;-), personally I'm keen for a 24g contact or two, and a good chance to optimise the 5.7/10ghz feeds.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

One more thing, the Mt Glorious repeater has no tail, so don't expect a 'kerchunk'. It works, just use it.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4WS

Post by VK4WS »

VK4JMC, VK4WB, VK4WT and VK4WS will be travelling to Mt Wolvi QG63KT and then on to the Toolara Forest QG63LN. If time allows maybe to Hervey Bay QG64JQ and The Hummock QG65FD.
We will be operational on all bands up to 24GHz. We will join Rex VK7MO on Mt Wolvi at 0900 hrs.
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Wayne, any chance to post lat/longs so I can use Google Earth to help with compass headings?

Great to learn Rex is still about, my 24g system is itching for a contact ;-)
VK4WS wrote:VK4JMC, VK4WB, VK4WT and VK4WS will be travelling to Mt Wolvi QG63KT and then on to the Toolara Forest QG63LN. If time allows maybe to Hervey Bay QG64JQ and The Hummock QG65FD.
We will be operational on all bands up to 24GHz. We will join Rex VK7MO on Mt Wolvi at 0900 hrs.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Better yet, PLEASE spend 60 seconds and create a VK Logger /P profile including the lat/lon.
The rest of us can all get distance/bearing information using the distance/bearing calculator.

Work smarter, not harder!
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

An interesting morning spent at Mt Mee... and a few good contacts made.

Here's a couple of pic's taken before the rain came in!
View south from Mt Mee QG62iv - with 1.2 and 2.4GHz yagis visible beaming at VK4OE/P in Springbrook (taken @ 0141z)

View north - with Doug VK4OE's 'three-in-one' and dish (taken @ 2351z)

Whilst a few good contacts were made, there could have been more! I know I raised the suggestion of structuring the Activity Days to provide focus for the operations and at the time the feedback suggested that it wasn't necessary. The impact of the 'free-for-all' approach that we experienced today meant that many opportunities were potentially missed as operators scrambled to find stations to work. Hopefully by the next uWave Activity Day we can agree a structure to assist operators maximise making the effort increase the opportunity to work each other.

But that said... a morning operating portable is always a great morning :D
Last edited by VK4CZ on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4CZ wrote:Whilst a few good contacts were made, there could have been more! I know I raised the suggestion of structuring the Activity Days to provide focus for the operations and at the time the feedback suggested that it wasn't necessary. The impact of the 'free-for-all' approach that we experienced today meant that many opportunities were potentially missed as operators scrambled to find stations to work. Hopefully by the next uWave Activity Day we can agree a structure to assist operators maximise making the effort increase the opportunity to work each other.
Agreed.
It's a pity not everyone appreciates how a little bit of structure can be more productive though.

50% of my contacts were 1296.
I won't be taking 1296 out next time, which saves the hassles of an extra transceiver/mast/antenna, and also allows more time to concentrate on the real microwave bands.
An IC-910 on 23 is an IC-910 on 23.
It works, as expected, with no surprises!
I can then spend more time evaluating the transverter systems that I have had a hand in putting together.

I'm also in two minds about using a voice liaison again.
I find all the chatter too distracting, and end up turning the volume all the way down, or the rig completely off.
(And some time can pass before I realise this is the case)
Either an internet based thing (totally silent), or I will just make random contacts, or use the telephone. But this tends to break the needed structure.

In contradiction, using the repeater enabled using a hand held transceiver right there at the operating position (and being able to wander around on-site with it), rather than a mobile rig mounted inside the vehicle that is awkward to continually access.

I also noted there was obviously no interest in the 40m liaison today.

(Edit: forgot to mention the need for a mast for 23cm, a relatively long yagi, and the coax as well.)
Last edited by VK4GHZ on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all.

My report from yesterday is successes and failures tantalisingly mixed together!

Some readers may recall my description of an intention back in the Winter VHF-UHF FD to go to an excellent microwave site in the Border Ranges NP, only to be confronted by a 'Road Closed' gate - most frustrating! Well, it has happened again with the next best microwave site, Springbrook, near the carpark for the "Best of All Lookout".
S'brook-1.jpg
The locked gate/bar visible in the pic has only recently been installed preventing vehicle access to the clear North-looking place just beyond the trees. This forced my use of the 'normal' carpark which, as you'll see has many trees and shrubs around it. I parked strategically in order to take advantage as much as possible of a small gap in the foliage, but it meant abandoning the roof-mounted 2.4 GHz array and associated M/H box. The mast with 1296, 5760 and 10368 MHz antennas was looking over some of the immediate vegetation, but the 24 GHz antenna (on tripod under the plastic rain cover) was mostly blocked.

I recorded 8 QSOs on 1296 MHz, 3 on 5760 MHz, 6 on 10368 MHz including best DX (232 Km) to VK4JMC/P located at Mt Wolvi near Gympie, and 2 QSOs on 2403 MHz after I installed a tiny WiFi antenna on the branch of a shrub just outside the van window - connected only to the 1 W driver transverter. The following pic is like a "Where's Wally" image requiring you to spot the feedline and the 2.4 GHz antenna! (The unused dual loop array is also visible in the background.)
S'brook-2.jpg
On 3.4 GHz I had overlooked the loading of the necessary FT-817 IF transceiver (that's a different long-ish story!) and a failure of a recent modification of my 24 GHz equipment combined with the blocking foliage to 'put paid' to any thought of QSOs on that band.

It rained heavily as I was driving towards Springbrook and after I departed, but in all the time I was operating there was only one light shower of drizzle, which is different from what others were reporting.

Another interesting observation was the inability to establish 2 metres FM liaison with the team (VK4WS, VK4JMC and VK7MO/4) on Mt Wolvi. After initiating things by mobile 'phone, we ended up using 1296 MHz SSB as the gain antennas at each end made on this band up for the losses over the path, whereas the Mt Wolvi crew were out of range of the RBN repeater and 146.5 MHz just didn't make it.

I do acknowledge the need expressed by Scott for a more organised approach to managing when folk use each band - that's the way we've done it for several earlier Microwave Activity Days, and I think it was a more thorough way of getting in touch with everyone who is 'on', compared to a 'free-for-all' approach. Nevertheless, I still had a lot of fun yesterday!

Always interested in other reports and thoughts on these matters!

Best 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.