What's on your Workbench?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Re: What's on your Workbench?

Post by ZL1RS »

VK7JG wrote:Hi Bob.
Looks nice ,very compact

notice that you have not included a Low Pass Filter.
rr Joe, I am aware of the high harmonic content claimed for some versions of these LDMOS amplifiers. There is room and tapped holes already in place for a LPF board. The amplifier was finished to this stage for an EME demonstration at the Napier Hamfest last weekend and is "still a work in progress".

(edit: spelling error corrected)

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

ZL2BKC wrote: ... Thanks Mark and Bob - yes I missed the comment about the fan inside the enclosure (I was looking at the pictures and the internal fan wasn't exactly visible). Yes those TC12's can get surprisingly hot which is why I asked.

It's nice and compact ..... With that power to weight ratio it's sure to pack a punch from remote islands around the pacific :D
While the internal fan is not obviously shown, the aluminium cover at the top left of the first photo shows part of the internal fan's intake filter/metal gauze and the row of 6mm dia holes for the internal fan's air outlet. The air coming out from those holes when the PA is running a carrier or JT65b signal is actually warmer than the heatsink gets, so it seems a very wise idea to blow air on the amplifier's output section. :shock:

In preparation for 2m EME from KH8 in July ...
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

My just-completed 3.4GHz transverter, based on the Down East Microwave 3.4GHz transverter board, with LNA from the same supplier and 20W PA.

I had to trim the hairpin filters to achieve adequate LO rejection in the transverter. A careful look at both the RX and TX sides revealed that the inter-stage hairpin filters on each were of considerably different lengths (see the RX filters in the photo below. Same applies to the TX filters). I queried this with DEMI and was told it was intentional. Maybe, but the LO rejection was woeful at less than 30dB. Fortunately, I swept them before commencing assembly of the board and was able to trim the "wrong" ones onto frequency. The LO and opposite mixing product rejection are now of the order of 50dB........nice. Also, as the PA only required -7dBm drive, I used only one stage of gain after the TX mixer. I also cut off the on-board 1W PA section to reduce the physical size of the board.

Chas
VK3PY
Attachments
DEMI 3.4GHz RX Filters.jpg
3.4GHz Transverter Top View.jpg
3.4GHz Transverter Internal View.jpg
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Nice job there, Chas. :D
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Good stuff Chas.

I see you are using one of the Stealth amplifiers.

I still have to do some more measurements on my DEMI board - but it certainly doesn't appear to have such differences as yours - quality control?

Still have some of those Toshiba amps if you ever want to upgrade to 50 watts!

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Peter,

Not quality control. The filters are intentionally produced that way. In retrospect, all I can think of is that the filters are deliberately tuned high and low respectively, in order to try to narrow the ensuing pass band within the filters' overlap. However, this was not explicitly stated, either in the transverter's construction notes or in DEMI's reply to my query.

OK on the 50 W. I think 20W will suffice for my purposes, but others reading here may wish to take up your offer.

Chas
VK3PY
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Further on my DEMI 3.4GHz transverter.

After completing the transverter's construction and bench-testing it, I tried it with an antenna (600mm dish with VK2AES cavity-backed dipole feed). The LNA (DEMI 3.4 GHz kit, 9ULNAK) went into oscillation. I had seen this behaviour previously in a transverter constructed by David VK3QM which used the same LNA kit. In my transverter, the LNA "looked" straight into the first hairpin filter of the transverter board, and it didn't like the out-of-band reactive termination it was seeing. My modification was to fit an ERA-2 MMIC ahead of the first filter to provide a wide-band termination for the LNA. I chose the ERA-2 as its input match is quite good, has an adequately low noise figure of around 3.5dB and only moderate gain (13dB). I wanted to minimize the gain prior to the first filter. That did the trick. The LNA is now totally stable, even with no antenna connected.

As an aside, the DEMI assembly instructions for their 3.4GHz LNA kit suggest setting its bias current at 15 - 20 mA. With the drain dropping resistor value (R6, 100 ohms) used in the kit, this results in a drain-source voltage of close to 3V. Looking at the Avago data sheet for the device used (ATF-36077), its Idss (min) figure is 15mA and Vds (absolute max) is 3V. Its gain and noise characteristics are specified for Id = 10mA and Vds = 1.5V. So I increased the value of dropping resistor to 220 ohms and re-set the bias current to 10mA, just to be sure. Whether this made any difference to its noise figure is a moot point.

Chas
VK3PY
VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5KK »

Similar experience with matching ATF36077 preamp with older WA8NLC transverter (originally built in 1991!). Recently recycled this transverter from the junque box for VK5AKM's home station.

This one still had the original two MAR6 & MAR1, these were prone to oscillation at lower frequencies with all their gain peaking below 1 Ghz. I removed the old MMIC's ahead of the filter and replaced with a single ERA3. initially had some stability issues with the ERA 3 so improving the grounding around the ERA3 fixed that. (this is the original board that didn't have plated through holes!). Adding the pre amp you could still provoke it to oscillate with your finger on the input of the ERA3. I initially modded the ATF36077 pre amp with a small smd resistor in the drain (think its 10 ohms) but eventually added a 3db pad between the preamp and transverter. That fixed all.

While doing mods I though I'd sweep the RX hairpin loop filter. As expected found it was dimensioned for 3456 MHz but with the centre frequency around 3480 Mhz. That meant at 3400 Mhz the through loss was 8 db and return loss was poor. I decided to have a go at shifting the bandpass using some different dielectric materials on the filter. I settled on the right thickness of celluoid to drop the passband to 3380 - 3460 MHz. Superglued the patch on (the glue didn't shift the response!) R/L was much better and image rejection ~ 40 db (plenty).
3400_2.jpg
Did the same experiment with the Tx filters. In the original version one filter is fine (centred around 3420 Mhz) the other was the same dimensions as the Rx filter so gave that the same celluoid treatment. I don't have experience with the new DEMI transverters, suspect 3400 Mhz would have been a consideration in newer designs and may be ok however worth investigating

The end result is snap .. another Purple Stealth based 3400 Mhz transverter!
3400_1.jpg
Inside shot the old WA8NLC transverter is mounted under the PCB sub chassis. The 1085 Mhz PLL with OXCO is in the small diecast box, EME66 switching and ATF36077 preamp on the top. An old CB transceiver meter provides power out indication
3400_3.jpg
Cheers

David VK5KK
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Nice work, David. Lights up pretty too. I also used a CB edge-mount meter to monitor RF output. Coincidentally, its power scale is calibrated 0-20 Watts. How nice. I also included reflected power measurement since this too is provided in the Stealth PA. Next job is to fit a cooling fan over the heat sink. The PA's DC input power is about 100W (class A) so it gets hot pretty quickly during extended transmissions.

I must remember the celluloid trick in future projects should the need arise.

There are three other Stealth-based 3.4 GHz transverters under construction in the Geelong area, in addition to the several older transverters we've been using. I'm sure there are more elsewhere in VK3. With so much gear coming on stream for this band, we will need to arrange some dedicated activity days to see if we can work you guys.

Chas
VK3PY
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

Looking at making a back pack portable 23cm transverter. With an output around 1.5 to 3w.
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Not exactly on the workbench (my bench isn't big enough :lol: ), but I'm currently converting an old Mitsubishi Starwagon into a mobile shack.
The plan is to have all bands from 1.8MHz to 24GHz on board.
Aluminium ground plane + antennas on roof racks
Aluminium ground plane + antennas on roof racks
Roof antenna lead patch panel
Roof antenna lead patch panel
100AH Auxiliary Battery
100AH Auxiliary Battery
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK5ZD wrote:Not exactly on the workbench (my bench isn't big enough :lol: ), but I'm currently converting an old Mitsubishi Starwagon into a mobile shack.
No fridge? :wink:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Those of you that own the Kenwood TR751 or TR851 will be aware of the time bomb built into them. Regardless of the way they are treated, eventually the pots fail open. In some of them the power switch pops apart rendering the radio almost useless. It's a shame because in every other respect they're a great radio.

A very easy way to get these radios back into operation is to nick down to Jaycar and pick up one each RP8756 & RP8516 as well as a pair of HK7770 knobs. These pots are a single gang but exactly the right size to replace the broken pots in the radio. Throw in a handful of SMD resistors and about 60 minutes work and you're done. Besides the volume control I chose to keep the squelch. The RIT and RF Gain were replaced with the SMD resistors.

The downside is No power switch, No RIT and No RF gain (set full open)

When you look at the recess for the knobs in the front panel you'll see a little lip about 15.5mm in diameter. As luck would have it, exactly the same diameter as the HK7770 knobs. I thought about filing out the recess but instead put the skirt of each knob on the bench sander, just enough to reduce the diameter so they fits inside the recess. Doing this also meant the knobs slide further onto the spline for a better fit. I think it looks good, certainly not out of place and I'm sure that a casual observer wouldn't even notice the modification.
The completed radio
The completed radio
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

No pics, but have just completed install of the Xref VS from Dave VK3HZ into my TS2000X.

The Trimble Thunderbolt has arrived, as has Graham VK3XDK's 10MHz distribution board. The power supply to suit the Trimble is in transit as is the 23cm 150W PA from Bert PE1RKI! 8)

Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

Almost finished my SOTA amplifier.

Its based on a MRF186 rated for 120w @900Mhz.

should be good for 50w @ HF on 12v.

Ben
Attachments
10396382_10203838460300308_410455853_n.jpg
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

D'oh!

Released only a few weeks ago, available from BWS and Uncle Dan's.
_DSC7639_web.jpg
:shh:
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

Started mounting the sub boards for my 23cm transverter
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Old Fart Beer.jpg
:wink: :mrgreen:
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Wiring completed for my Thunderbolt GPSDO/10MHz distribution box.
Power-up "flash test" successful. :clap:
Now to connect antenna and put the thing into service! :thumbup:
GPSDO/10MHz distribution
GPSDO/10MHz distribution
Rear panel. 10MHz o/puts & GPS antenna SMA
Rear panel. 10MHz o/puts & GPS antenna SMA
Front panel
Front panel
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Neat job, Andy.

What case is that - wheredjagedit - and LxWxH?

The power supply looks like a COTS job - more details, please?