Summer Field Day 2012 (Jan 14/15) thread...

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Re: Summer Field Day 2012 (Jan 14/15) thread...

Post by VK4ADC »

Many of us put too much time, effort and money into building up our field day capabilities to consider less than the three prime VHF/UHF events. It is the only time many of us actually put our microwave gear to air - at least in my case, certainly it is. The JMFD is a good trial for the Winter FD although my FD operation for it also includes HF and then no microwave.

I have spent all of my free time this last week rebuilding the FD trailer to the point that the bent mast tube has been replaced by a 3.6m long thicker wall variety in a larger OD, the winch mounting and operation has been revised, a stabiliser bar has been added to prevent the mast pipe moving in any direction other than up and down during the erection and disassemby process (ie no uncontrolled sideways movement) and, finally, the whole top frame that supports the polytarp roof has been re-designed in heavier gauge tube. It also now incorporates storage/travel brackets to take the 3 mast tubes, 6m & 2m antenna booms and the 3m long 6m yagi elements - all up out of the way during transit. That will make my FD operations better overall and (hopefully) I have taken all the necessary steps to avoid bend-ages and breakages during the transit, setup and disassembly phases. One more trip to Bunnings for some wide spaced reinforcing mesh to add on the top will finish the latest modifications before the new heavy duty polytarp is form-fitted. All this is at considerable cost in terms of hardware and effective labour.

My VKLogger Forum posting about IC-706 sensitivity is part of my post-FD testing of the radio equipment. What, if anything, can I do to make sure that it is working properly - or can I make it better in some respects. The microwave gear will be the next to go under the microscope.

I don't participate in the FD's for other than the overall enjoyment. I am not looking for prizes or anything material, just to have a good time and test the capabilities of my equipment. This last one was a partial fizzer for me with the different issues that occurred but that just causes me to make a more concerted effort towards the next one - hence my changes mentioned above.

The dates as they are now are mostly fine with me. Whatever happens, don't move FDs to within school holiday periods { Australia-wide } (although with the SFD in Jan, it is hard to avoid that) or the participation rate will be even lower - and that is going to be a problem if you move the Spring FD back to the Sept/Oct time frame. Equally spaced events ( 3 x VHF/UHF FD + JMFD) would be better but that just isn't going to happen. If we can hope for some 6m Es- and maybe some 2m Es or 2m/70cm tropo during a FD outing, even better as it sure livens things up and improves the scores.

Finally, there are probably many operators in the Home category who would like to get out portable too but do not yet have that option available. If we get enough activity happening during these events to encourage them, then they are more likely to take that next step in getting a portable FD station happening.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
vk1da
Forum Diehard

Summer Field Day 2012 (Jan 14/15) thread...

Post by vk1da »

If we all took a non VHF or non field day op out with us every field event we could all say we are doing something towards increasing the general interest in these events.

I did this recently and I believe it worked well. The conversation afterwards was all about finding the necessary for a field station.

The WIA is nothing more than an association of people like you and me. It isn't an all powerful opinion builder and behaviour modifier.

Take the newcomers out with you and teach by doing, rather than asking why someone (else) isn't doing anything to improve your hobby.

Andrew Davis VK1DA & VK2UH
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vk1da.info vkfaq.ampr.org vk9na.com
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Re: Summer Field Day 2012 (Jan 14/15) thread...

Post by VK2ZIW »

Sleep, we ALL need sleep, so, how about 11pm to 5am curfew. I'm 60 and NOT getting any younger. (full stop)

FM activity is almost GONE. Reason, once a contact is made on SSB, no further points can be made by doing FM.
I suggest, if the transceiver at either end is ONLY FM or AM, then points, as for another band. 53.866 AM anybody?
This would encourage field stations to put up two sets of antenna, horizontal and vertical and take along
FM only radios, for the vertical antenna.
This would encourage mobiles to make a short trip to a hill and be 'in the game'.

Hand Helds, could make points from high buildings etc...