Call sign identification

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Call sign identification

Post by VK3ALB »

I note that there is at least one operator out there with a three letter "R" call where the license category is Advanced rather than Amateur Repeater. Until now I thought the R in a three letter Australian callsign indicated a repeater license. The WIA website states that a license of the form VK$Raa is for repeater use.

I'm not questioning the operators right to use the callsign just wondering if there has been a change recently?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK7JG

Re: Call sign identification

Post by VK7JG »

G'Day Lou.

I think it is people in Canberra not being familiar with the Amateur protocol of callsign allocations.

That said things will possibly change now that the WIA has some control over the issue of Amateur licenses

We have in Tassy a VK7ROY .. When Roy wanted a new callsign he asked for ROY and it was granted .

Joe
VK7JG
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Joe,

I didn't want to identify Roy as I'm sure he went through the proper processes to get his call and it seems he's been active with that call for a number of years now. Given the number of licensed operators in Tasmania, I can't see you running out of R calls any time soon. Thanks for the info.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK3ALB wrote:(partial quote) I note that there is at least one operator out there with a three letter "R" call where the license category is Advanced rather than Amateur Repeater.
For what its worth, a quick look through the 2010 call book reveals VK?R?? calls (other than RAN, repeaters & beacons ) in VK4, VK6 and VK7 ..
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Search the ACMA database for license details that "starts with", and you will find many.

It's like the "S" calls.
I always thought the introduction of the "S" series was specifically reserved for Scouting activites.
The VKnSIX call is the first to come to mind here.

The management of callsigns has been incompetent.
Look at the VK9 situation now, what a mess.

Look at the USA.
What a bigger mess.
A W6 could be in Florida.

Anyone can do an online search these days, so perhaps it just doesn't matter anymore, sticking to good old fashioned conventions? :?:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4QB

Post by VK4QB »

Hi all ,
I think its getting be a case do what you want nowdays. Mores the pity.! :(
Brian 4QB
VK7ZL
Forum Novice

Post by VK7ZL »

I think its getting be a case do what you want nowdays. Mores the pity.! :(
Brian 4QB
The current situation is - Do as you like but DON'T cause interference.

There were complaints recently regarding the number of advertisements put to air in a given time period by the TV stations. The response from the ACMA was "we a not currently investigating these complaints"

Bob VK7ZL
vk3six

Post by vk3six »

Confusing Callsign cloning is everywhere.
Last edited by vk3six on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK2XV

Post by VK2XV »

Just a passing comment - and to agree with Steve G. (just to prove I can do it... :wink: )

Steve is right when he says that having a VK$SIX call is not an issue - at least according to the document off the ACMA website.

Only the range VK$SAA-SDZ is reserved for the Scout Association so VK$SIX is perfectly legit and unencumbered. Why would I bother to check ? Well, I hold VK2SRO (which I will let lapse next renewal, but for other reasons).

Strangely enough those who hold VK$G$$ calls didn't rate a mention along with VK$SIX callsigns in the thread using the same premise. After all the range VK$GGA-GGZ is reserved for Guides Aust.....

73 Steve VK2XV
(this post has been screened for frequencies below 52MHz :wink: )