ZL Amateur Radio operators to get 50-51MHz after DSO.

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

ZL Amateur Radio operators to get 50-51MHz after DSO.

Post by ZL1RS »

The following announcement was made in the last few days regarding the allocation of 50 - 51MHz to ZL amateur radio operators on an exclusive basis after the television broadcasting Digital Switch Over (DSO).
Radio Amateurs

The present analogue licences in the UHF band will cease at DSO, and any required digital television licences will be provided in the VHF bands thereafter. Discussions will be held with amateurs to confirm the preferred approach to allowing television use in the 54 – 68 MHz band.

The following VHF band allocations will also come into effect after DSO:

* 50 – 51 MHz: radio amateur non-television use on an exclusive basis
* 51 – 54 MHz: radio amateur non-television use on a shared basis.
The full announcement can be found in the following link from the RSM:
http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/policy-and-p ... d-new-uses

I believe "VHF" and "UHF" have been transposed ... there will be no VHF television broadcasting after DSO, all ZL TV will be on terrestrial UHF digital TV channels and digital satellite TV. This is confirmed in the press release from the NZ Government which refers to UHF digital TV after DSO:
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/digi ... llocations

The DSO date has not yet been set, but it is anticipated to be between 2013 and 2015. In the meantime ZL hams continue to have access to the bottom end of 6M on a non-interference basis.

It seems we may also get an amateur TV allocation between 54 and 68MHz !

A nice little "Christmas Present" for ZL hams :D
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK4QB

Re: ZL Amateur Radio operators to get 50-51MHz after DSO.

Post by VK4QB »

Hi Bob,
Let us hope the ACMA see the same light at the end of the tunnel here.( but I doubt it)
Merry Xmas.
Brian VK4QB
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Fantastic news Bob... a swift and great response to the removal of the low band TV for the amateurs of ZL.

It begs the questions as to why the ACMA has been so draconian in attitude towards the 50.0 - 50.3 sub-band (but who can change history), and also to why we haven’t started our petitioning?

And for me the continued debate about 50.3 and above access seems ludicrous when compared to the potential we have for the reinstatement of full access if we consentrated on developing a united approach with the sole objective to gaining a similar approach to this.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
vk3six

VK Expectations for 50 mhz full restore.

Post by vk3six »

It begs the questions as to why the ACMA has been so draconian in attitude towards the 50.0 - 50.3 sub-band (but who can change history), and also to why we haven’t started our petitioning?

We need to go for it.

twice now in my radio life I have been involved in writing submissions.

Both were successful.

What you want the old timers and fogies to write a third submission for restoration?

get off your asses...

back in 1989 a submission was made that gave the east coast access.

West of the state lines the Luddites in VK6's and VK5's wanted to leave it be.

They were happy for the east coasters to be confined to 52 MHz.

As long as we did not rock the boat and risk their tenure.

Well now its time to lobby the WIA who say they are our champions.

There is an expectation that the full access enjoyed by the Crow eaters will flow on to the east coast.

yeah right !!

Authorities dont just give you what you want or expect.

its about time some of the loggerheads sitting in front of their keyboards let their fingers do the walking and talking.

Lobby WIA LOBBY ACMA

GET ANSWERS.

Do not assume the coconuts will fall out of the trees.

2c.
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

VK3SIX wrote: It begs the questions as to why the ACMA has been so draconian in attitude towards the 50.0 - 50.3 sub-band (but who can change history), and also to why we haven’t started our petitioning?

We need to go for it.

twice now in my radio life I have been involved in writing submissions.

Both were successful.

What you want the old timers and fogies to write a third submission for restoration?

get off your asses...

back in 1989 a submission was made that gave the east coast access.

West of the state lines the Luddites in VK6's and VK5's wanted to leave it be.

They were happy for the east coasters to be confined to 52 MHz.

As long as we did not rock the boat and risk their tenure.

Well now its time to lobby the WIA who say they are our champions.

There is an expectation that the full access enjoyed by the Crow eaters will flow on to the east coast.

yeah right !!

Authorities dont just give you what you want or expect.

its about time some of the loggerheads sitting in front of their keyboards let their fingers do the walking and talking.

Lobby WIA LOBBY ACMA

GET ANSWERS.

Do not assume the coconuts will fall out of the trees.

2c.

Yeah I agree with you on this one Steven. We should get onto and Lobby the hell out of the (So Called) WIA who say they are our champions. then other will see just what the WIA can and can not do. But don't just leave it up too them too do. Lobby anyone and everyone in parliment that you think might make a difference cause if you leave it too the Champions, then it just might never even get out off the gate. Past experience has proven that hasn't it.
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

Getting the 50-51 band primary and exclusive will be a huge bonus to not just ZL, but also to VKs, there will be less annoying vision buzz, and more ZLs to make contacts with, but hopefully not copious numbers of ZL LIDs.

Also will be pushing to get a few beacons active in ZL, particularly in Auckland (remember ZL1VHF 50.0433) and far north ZL, the Sth island has ZL3SIX 50.040 and Greymouth on 50.055 approx.

The ZL licencing authorities have already said that there's no other services planned for the low band VHF, and their view is that it would make sense to follow the international allocations, (50-51MHz), a view that has also been supported by the communications and broadcast industry.

Lets hope the ACMA do the sensible thing and do the same at ASO in Australia. Most of the channel 0 stations will be QRT within the next two years or so, the band should become quiet and free from vision buzz...
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Before we go off our heads about WIA inaction etc it might be a good idea to find out what they ARE doing - my guess is more than we think, but I agree that we should not leave it entirely up to the them.

We do have a ham in federal parliament: Peter Lindsay VK4TO. He used to be quite active on 6M. Unfortunately he is in opposition, but he is my local member, and the LM for a number other hams. When he gets back from leave I will have a word to him and see what he thinks can be done.

A letter to Peter from the Townsville Amateur Radio Club might be worthwhile too.

I wonder if some sort on on-line petition could be organized through the logger? Possible Adam?

Wayne VK4WDM