Possible re-activation of the 6mx Reunion Island Beacon

Amateur beacons
VK6KXW

Possible re-activation of the 6mx Reunion Island Beacon

Post by VK6KXW »

Further to my conversation with Mike ZS6TAF on the vklogger who has kindly taken upon himself to gently nudge the ZS boys
back to 6mx.
The conversation flowed to what happened to the old 6m reunion island beacon with view to possible re-activation
by Phil FR5DN.
This particular beacon was heard by myself numerous times in the 1980's/90's into the Perth area over a distance of 6,127km.
Reunion Island would aid I believe the present exploration research of SSSP and Es once again in the Indian Ocean.
At this moment in time the nth hemisphere is watching avidly what is happening in the southern hemisphere with the first
confirmed accounts of the validation of SSSP and long distance spread f during our Es season.
This topic thread is to keep readers advised what is happening behind the scenes.
The author subscribes to the ZSVHF newsletter http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/zsvhf to keep a breast with the
current reunion to zs 2m/432 propagation research which has been spanned at 2m a distance of a mere 2,875km.

http://www.astrorun.com/~fr5dn/radio/tr ... t2008.html
http://www.sarl.org.za/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2833

Peter
VK6KXW
vk6kxw@gmail.net

......................................................................................................................................................
------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:52:47 +0200
Subject: [ZSVHF] 6m Beacons
To: "zsvhf@mailman.qth.net" <zsvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Message-ID: <3E8A79AB2A4C0C4BA5EFD343E8D8E5682D91156D2A@comsol-jhb>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hi Phil FR5DN
Could you let us know if the 6m Beacon is still in operation from Reunion?The Australian stations are interested in working SA and Reunion on 6m.They have been working distances greater than 6000km over the last few weeks with daily openings occuring,so Reunion is well within grasp of a contact.SA maybe a little bit more of a challenge.

Hi Mike ZS2FM
Is it possible to beam your 50.006 beacon towards Auz?They have a beacon 100Miles south of Perth on 50.306 beaming towards ZS/FR (3-el yagi)transmitting 24hrs 365 days a year.There is an entire group waiting and listening to work SA,we just have to play the game a bit on our side too.

73 de Mike ZS6TAF

Mike Kellett ZS6TAF | RF Team Leader
[cid:image001.png@01CA83C6.56AA11F0]
+27 76 278 5622 | mike.kellett@comsol.co.za<mailto:Rico.duPlessis@comsol.co.za>
134 River Road | Barbeque Downs | Kyalami | Gauteng | RSA
Tel. +27 (0) 11 466 4601 | Fax. +27 86 677 2066 | http://www.comsol.co.za<http://www.comsol.co.za>
.........................................................................................................................................................
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:33:35 +0400
Subject: Re: [ZSVHF] 6m Beacons
Cc: "zsvhf@mailman.qth.net" <zsvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Message-ID: <4B320E1F.10407@izi.re>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

hello Mike,

As far as i know the 6m bcn is OFF at present.
I'll look around for any further info as i heard some weeks ago that it
would probably be on again, but i don't know from what qth.

I keep you posted.

Vy73 - Phil - FR5DN
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Re: Possible re-activation of the 6mx Reunion Island Beacon

Post by VK6OX »

We'll hold our collective breaths and hope for the best! 8)
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK6KXW

Re: Possible re-activation of the 6mx Reunion Island Beacon

Post by VK6KXW »

Hi Peter

VHF/UHF has always been an interest to me.You will find the SA Hams another funny group of "Yes we are interested",but they dont want to go the extra mile to try work the different propagation modes.
Im unfortunately one of the Hams that is restricted to SSB,sometime later in 2010 I will get myself on the digital modes,by then perhaps we maybe getting some F1/F2 or TEP propagation...
Here's Mike Bosch ZS2FM Reply directly back to me WRT the Port Elizabeth beacon on 50.006 :

"Hi Mike ZS6TAF,

I am familiar with the Perth beacon on 50,306 MHz and has listened for it on many occasions without any luck as yet, but it has been heard in Reunion Island. If we had a spare 6 metre beacon one could run it continuously in their direction, unfortunately, it would not be prudent to rob divisions

3,4,5 and 6 of a beacon on the southern tip of the RSA that could indicate current band openings.

Port Elizabeth is located about 8000 km from Perth and Tropo ducting on 50 MHz is very unlikely. We have worked VK from here before and it is possible on F2 propagation, and will be again if the present Maunder Minimum dooes not spoil it for us. The only other possibillity is Short-Path Summer Solstice Propagation (SSSP) that I know very lttle about but would like to get my teeth into.

Mike it is good to see that you are very dedicated to VHF, do keep it up.

Wishing you compliments of the season.

73 de Mike ZS2FM"

Can You see what I have to deal with here in SA?To much narrow mindedness.I will have a chat to WIllem ZS6WAB,He looks after the 50.044 beacon in Polokwane(NW Province),Im sure he will be interested.His beacon should be back on the air within the next week or two.It was taken down for tuning up and tweaking.I believe it is a 75w transmitter,connected to a 5-el yagi.I will get the details for you.

We also have a "Redundant" beacon at my friends house,ZS6JON.It was my old Yaesu-FT620,a heap of junk,but it works,we have to clout it now and then because it drifts off frequency...Heh heh...So it unfortunately is a beacon that has to be checked up on.He also had a small linear running off it,so istead of the standard 10w the radio gives,it was jacked up to about 80w on a 2-el yagi.

Let me see what kind of quick plan I can make Peter,I think the best bet would be Willem's beacon,he can also hook it up to his 6m EME array.

Merry Christmas to you and best 73

de Mike ZS6TAF