refurbish coax connectors

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

refurbish coax connectors

Post by VK4CRO »

hi I have some hardline in the shed with tarnished connectors
and would like to use it for my 70cm antenna .
Is there a compound ,technique that I can use to renew them
any help appreciated
tnx Ron cro :?:
Cheers
Ron cro
VK7JG

Re: refurbish coax connectors

Post by VK7JG »

Hi Ron.
I have not tried it however some time ago I was told that the commercial product CLR will make them look like new .
You should be able to get it from "Supercheap" or any hardware store.
I was visiting another amateur who had used the product for cleaning his connectors . They looked just like new .

Dismantle to connector leave it soak for 24 hrs then give them a good wipe down .

I hope it works.

Regards.
Joe
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

vk4cro wrote:hi I have some hardline in the shed with tarnished connectors
and would like to use it for my 70cm antenna .
Is there a compound ,technique that I can use to renew them
any help appreciated
tnx Ron cro :?:

I have tried Joes 'CLR' method and it works. Just make sure you wash the connector very thoroughly after applying the CLR. And you can get CLR from Woolies or Coles too.

Another method I have used (before CLR was invented) which is very very slow is to put the connectors in a porcelaine type contained (like a coffee mug) along with some warm water, bi-carb of soda AND a strip of alluminium. The reaction of the bicarb on the alluminium cleans the crud from the silver. It does work but it can take a day or so whereas CLR takes seconds.
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CRO »

will give it a go (CLR)
tnx Ron
Cheers
Ron cro
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I had some tarnished BNC adaptors, that I meticulously cleaned up with a propelling fibreglass cleaning pencil. Careful not to inhale the dust, but did a remarkable job of cleaning them.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

Go to your local jewellery store, or some of the bigger supermarkets. Buy some proper "Silver Jewellery Cleaner". Follow the instructions, (about 30 secs to 1 minute, I think). Wash the connector thoroughly in clean fresh water after cleaning, and dry them in the sun. Voila! New connectors! :)

73, Bruce VK2EM :)
Bruce VK2EM
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Soaking them in vinegar does a nice job of cleaning them up and a toothbrush cleans the gunk out.
Hydrogen peroxide and a very weak solution of Hydrochloric acid also can be useful for really nasty problems. To strong and it will disolve the copper and brass components.

When they're clean, dry them off with a hot air gun and then soak the components in a fine oil like sewing machine oil.