46.172MHz 24/7 logger meteor counter

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

46.172MHz 24/7 logger meteor counter

Post by VK2JDS »

For several years now I have been logging 46.172 MHz at around 15 samples per second. This has revealed a lot of meteor data and sproradic E information.
The receiver is a winradio , antenna is a dipole mounted a quarter wavelength above a ground mounted reflector made from sheets of corrugated iron and the recorder is a IBM laptop running skypipe software. Its all powered from 12 volts and is solar powered.
Its located in a rf quiet area of the central tablelands north of Bathurst NSW.
This data is available if anyone wants to study it, a registered version of radio skypipe is required to load it up for viewing.
The information gathered is particularly suited to meteor scatter enthusiasts as the sampling rate makes identifying pings very easy. Sporadic E activity is also recorded.
If anyone is interested in this data let me know.
cheers
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

I thought you might be interested in a sample of the data, the jpeg is a snap of the recordings from 12 midday till 2pm on the 8th of dec 06. i will attempt to attach a zip 800k of the real data you can examine using skypipe software easily downloadable free from skypipe site.
It clearly shows the E opening that occured on 46.170fm logging the agc line of my receiver.
well , that didnt work... any suggestions how to attach files?
please email me at :
bluedogbigdish@hotmail.com
i will email you back the files to have a look at from work. gobush satellite net from home here is having major problems.
cheers
vk3six

Re: 46.172MHz 24/7 logger meteor counter

Post by vk3six »

VK2JDS wrote:For several years now I have been logging 46.172 MHz at around 15 samples per second. This has revealed a lot of meteor data and sproradic E information.
The receiver is a winradio , antenna is a dipole mounted a quarter wavelength above a ground mounted reflector made from sheets of corrugated iron and the recorder is a IBM laptop running skypipe software. Its all powered from 12 volts and is solar powered.
Its located in a rf quiet area of the central tablelands north of Bathurst NSW.
This data is available if anyone wants to study it, a registered version of radio skypipe is required to load it up for viewing.
The information gathered is particularly suited to meteor scatter enthusiasts as the sampling rate makes identifying pings very easy. Sporadic E activity is also recorded.
If anyone is interested in this data let me know.
cheers

You might be interested to know that John hackworth VK5ZJH did a study at DSTO in 1987 and setup a dedicated system.

Best results were obtained when the antenna was elevated at 45 degrees with its bum right on the ground

http://dspace.dsto.defence.gov.au/dspac ... E%20PR.pdf