Is 50.110 as an international CF a lost cause?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Re: Is 50.110 as an international CF a lost cause?

Post by VK3PY »

This thread reminds me of why I pulled down my 6m yagi long ago. I have a very simple philosophy that governs my operation on ALL bands: Is what I'm doing likely to detrimentally affect others' opportunities for contacts? If the answer is yes, I desist. Simple, really.

And to those who swallow the WIA band-plan bashing, let me say this: The WIA might represent less than 50% of the ham population in VK, but that's still a very big contingent compared to each selfish individual who knocks it. Our band allocations are big enough for all serious operators, but they struggle to accomodate even one inflated ego.

Chas
VK3PY
vk3six

Post by vk3six »

Its all fixed.

No international dx so the crew have found another frequency band to utilise 50.200 to 50.230.

QED

Problem solved for now.

:wink:
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Having "any" particular frequency as a DX "calling" frequency in this day and age is somewhat superfluous what with the proliferation of all the loggers and such like. It is more a matter of deciding which logger do you announce what frequency you are going to use and that should be the end of the matter.

Just don't use the logger to exchange reports and confirmations until you have completely finished the relevant business by radio first.

David
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

Sigh...the bandplan police love a miscreant...if we all stay off the 6m calling freqs then those calling won't be heard..ergo no DX??....all those listening, how about a general call now and then instead of letting others do the calling??,,,,QSO's only last a 10-15 minutes so get a life and turn the beam away Dxers!!!
vk3six

Post by vk3six »

QSO's only last a 10-15 minutes so get a life and turn the beam away Dxers!!!

Doesn't that just about say it all .

Squabble on..you have about 5 or 10 years or so to get it sorted..reckon you can do it? :roll:
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

vk3bsf wrote:QSO's only last a 10-15 minutes so get a life and turn the beam away Dxers!!!
It is common courtesy to QSY as soon as possible off ANY calling frequency to have your QSO, no matter what band you are on.
Not doing so is a complete lack of respect for others, and extremely pig headed IMO.
There is absolutely no excuse for not QSYing by the second over.
We do not need to hear your name, QTH, your weather, and what you had for breakfast on a call channel.
If you have exchanged this information before some token QSY, then I'd respectfully suggest you use a telephone instead... then you can waffle on as much as you like, without annoying others.

Your attitude (that it's OK to waffle on a call frequency) is the root cause of all agro that it prevalent on 6M.
There is enough bandspace for all users, and a little bit of respect for others goes a long way.
Try turning that big knob on your rig! :wink:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Adam, it might be all right in theory to suggest that you QSY by the second over, but that doesn't work if you are struggling to actually hear what the other station is saying and there is little possibility of hearing to which frequency a QSY might be desired. This is particularly so if the contact is a DX station on CW. Better to nominate a GOTO frequency on some logger and start off there in the first place.

David
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

That way, you can leave 50.11 free for Steve. Hi.
vk3six

Post by vk3six »

vk3auu wrote:That way, you can leave 50.11 free for Steve. Hi.
Seems hard to believe its the same band that delivered so much good dx in the past 30 years.

The situation in East coast aussie reminds me of downtown on a Friday night with the hoons in their commodores chucking laps.

Up down up down round and around.

Its like watching grass grown.

Every time you check back its the same old same old.

I suspect everyone is waiting for something but they are not sure what.
Last edited by vk3six on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

gday from of77
The problem i have is that if i wander off to say .200 during the summer months to look for a zl or vk9 or vk4 etc, i might miss a YB or 9m6 or vk9x, p29,fk8 etc who is calling on .110, with my 6 element vertical dummy load i can copy 360 degrees

thank you
graham vk6six/ro
vk3six

Post by vk3six »

It is indeed amazing at the sniff of propagation how the same boring individuals gravitate back to 110 with the same boring habits, working the same people they have 100 time before.
The only way not to be part of this is not to operate, which as you may or may have not noticed most the the dx talent is silently absent, the dust covers are on for the next ten or so years, cheers.

:( .