IC 202 transciever

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

IC 202 transciever

Post by VK2AMS »

gday all , I have been offered an IC 202 transciever the price however is up for discussion as the seller said make an offer and is a friend I dont wish to rip him off, on the other hand I dont want to pay to much , my question is what is a fair price? It is is in good working condition as I used it a while ago for the IF on my 23cm transverter before I bought a FT817nd. any feedback gratefully recieved. cheers. mark VK2AMS
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Re: IC 202 transciever

Post by VK3PY »

Hi Mark,

Sorry if this is not so timely, but others might find it useful....

To start with, at a recent hamfest I bought TWO IC-202's for $100. One was in tip-top condition. The other was operational but needed a "Nifty" overhaul and a squirt of WD-40 in the pots and switches. I bought them for use as tuneable IFs for my microwave transverters.

My advice is that while the '202 is OK for microwave work, where the transverter LO is the limiting factor for accuracy and stabilty, on 23cm you really need better frequency accuracy than these rigs afford. I'd go for a Yaesu FT-290R for not much more money ($120-150 as a ballpark figure). Take the Mk1 in preference to the MkII. Not only is it be cheaper, but its frequency stability is far better (they put the synthesiser reference crystal next to the PA transistor in the MkII !!! - what were Yaesu thinking?). As a matter of fact, I use an FT-290R Mk1 with my 23cm transverter.

73 de Chas VK3PY
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Unless simultaneous operation is required, couldn't you just use your FT817nd as the IF transceiver?
Surely this modern rig has much better performance in every regard, than something from 20 years ago?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

An common assertion Adam, but it needs to be supported by facts.

In what way would you expect a modern rig be better than one from (well over) 20 years ago? Sensitivity? Nope. The '290 is at least as good as an FT-817. Frequency stability? Ditto. Power consumption? The '290 wins again. Functionality? No menus in the '290 - just the basic controls you need to make a radio work. About the only thing the FT-817 has going for it is versatility. Lots of bands and things to fiddle with, but performance-wise, it's no hot shot.

I have both rigs, a '290RMk1 and an FT-817. In practice, the latter is not a patch on the '290R. Costs heaps more, too. Why pay for stuff you don't need?

Sensitivity of the '817 is a little down on 2m compared to the '290R, but for transverter operation that's of no consequence. The '817 draws more than twice the standby current of the '290, which may be an issue in portable operation. Interfacing it to a transverter requires an external, purpose-built bias-T or a separate PTT cable for RX-TX switching. The '290R puts out a DC voltage on the antenna socket during TX.

But worst of all, the FT-817 has a dirty little secret. It has a disastrous ALC circuit which causes woeful splatter. This is endemic to all FT-817's, not just mine. You wouldn't want to put it on air with a PA, on any band.

Shortly after I got my FT-817 I built a 40W push-pull MOSFET PA for HF. I kept getting caned for splattering. Naturally I suspected my PA. But bench tests confirmed it was very clean. It wasn't until I came accross the following website: http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/alc.htm that I discovered the reason. The FT-817 is a bloody embarassment to put to air. It's the same on 2m and 70cm.

My FT-817 is relegated to IF operation on 10GHz. No complaints of splatter there! Pity about the $1k it cost me.

It seems to me that in their quest to sell toys to beginners, the big three have forgotten how to design the radio part.

Oh, did I mention it? I use my '290 for a tuneable IF on 23cm. Works for me. See the GSS. :wink:

Chas
VK3PY
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

Gday Chas , thanks for the heads up re the ic202 and ft290R , as it turned out an ft 290r came up for sale for $100 so I bought it an its now installed as the IF on my 2.4 GHz transverter! Interesting about the ft817nd as I have one and use it for the IF on 23cm, I am happy with it but wont be using it for anything other than that , I have an ft857 and ft 897 for station and portable use. cheers .mark VK2AMS :D
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

vk3py wrote:An common assertion Adam, but it needs to be supported by facts...
Yes, I was reading the ARRL Lab review of the IC-7000 last night, with a view to purchasing a second hand 7000.
Despite the fancy display, (which will no doubt suck some people in), the IC-7000 has performance parameters that measured identical to the (much cheaper) IC-706MKIIG, or even worse than the 706MKIIG. :shock:

Appreciate you will get variation from one unit to another, but since reading the ARRL review I have changed my mind completely, on an IC-7000.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/