0.8mm hollow pcb rivets

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

0.8mm hollow pcb rivets

Post by VK2GG »

Hi guys,
I've had an un-completed DB6NT 24Ghz transverter kit for a while now - what has stumped me has been the need to place hollow copper rivets in all the through holes.
I can't seem to get rivets anywhere.
Any clues anyone?

Dan VK2GG
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Re: 0.8mm hollow pcb rivets

Post by VK2JDS »

solder is lossy at these frequencies... true, so i guess soldering wire through wont be good enough
you can make 'rivets' or joiners using short bits of copper wire of the same diameter as the thru-holes and flattening either side using a backing pin in a vice and a centrepunch. scrounge 0.8 copper from mains TPS cable as a starting point.
depends on how many other parts you have added to the pcb as to how much shock force you can subject the pcb to.. being very maliable it works well
73's
VK4QB

Post by VK4QB »

Hi All,
Small brass rivets are available from Spotlight.YES, you read right, Spotlight The haberdashery and material stores.! Various sizes are available but not necessarily stocked. Check them out. I came across them one day.
Brian 4QB :)
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Thanks guys. I was thinking of trying to solder 0.8mm pcb pins, so maybe if these are cut short they would work as rivets. I will check out Spotlight though.
Dan
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

Hi Dan,
I haven't seen the construction sheets for the DB6NT 24gig unit. I'm VERY suprised if it actually says to use
rivets. ALL commercial gear I have for that freq just has plated through holes and a number of comments I have see
in various forum or email exchanges say NOT to put anything in the plated through holes, especially bits of wire
soldered each side seems to be a major NO-NO.

just for what it's worth

Dave
VK2TDN

BTW ... how's that converterd 10gig xverter going ? did you sort out the lack of sensitivity on the RX side ?
looking forward to having a 2 way QSO with you up the usual coast path :)
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Hi Dave,
Yes, the pcb is of very thin flexible material, with no plate through. So it does need hollow rivets. Very small ones. The 10ghz project has slowed, got myself stuck on other jobs. I am plagued by poor output of the L.O. I'll get to it soon.
regards,
Dan
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

vk2gg wrote:Hi Dave,
Yes, the pcb is of very thin flexible material, with no plate through. So it does need hollow rivets. Very small ones. The 10ghz project has slowed, got myself stuck on other jobs. I am plagued by poor output of the L.O. I'll get to it soon.
regards,
Dan
Wow thats gonna be a fun job !!! Its difficult to believe that anyone ... let alone DB6NT would build ANY uWave
band gear where there were no plated through holes for connecting groundplanes.
Even my 10GHz xverter and pwr amp boards had them ... was it an older design maybe ? ohh well
gosh ... I will also ask around the uWave groups and see if anyone has any ideas where to source the rivets :)
That FR4 and other thin PCB's are "fun" :roll: to work on huh like working with a sheet of plastic ;)

ok on your Mitec xverter ... sorta keen to see how your one goes for when I start on my own conversions :)

Cheers
Dave
VK2TDN
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Dave,
thanks for your reply. I've just bought a DE 3Watt kit for 10G, so hoping to join you big boys!
Dan
VK1BL

Post by VK1BL »

In the absence of rivets Dan you may want to consider a sharp hobby knife (Exacto type) and thin strips of copper foil or brass shim around 1mm wide (althought eh width isn't so critical). Poke the thin shim strips through the slit in the pcb where you want the ground connections and then fold over about 1mm either side and solder, you should be able to get these "groundings" very flat against the pcb. I suspect the DB6NT (24Ghz) boards will be 0.01inch 5870 Duroid(?) which is very flexible. I thought most of the DB6NT stuff was designed, especially at that freq, to be mounted in a milled case? Trying to undertake "brass box" construction with 10mil Duroid would be a nightmare. Even so the "grounds" shouldn't cause too much trouble as the Duroid can be moulded flat around them. Others may have specific experience with these?

73, Ted - VK1BL
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Ted,
that's an excellent idea - thanks. I tried soldering pc pins. They work, but will need filing or sanding on the back of the board for it to fit flat on bottom of the milled box. I will have a go at cutting thin shims.
Dan