Mitec 10GHz E1 ( 2Mbit/s ) tranceiver

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK3GJM

Mitec 10GHz E1 ( 2Mbit/s ) tranceiver

Post by VK3GJM »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I was lucky to receive free 2 complete links, possibly working Mitec 10GHz transceivers with integrated 60cm antennas including horn/feeds.

Does any one out there have schematics for the TX and RX blocks made by Mitec in Brisbane.

Prior to powering it up, I would like to learn more about the modules rather then experimenting with them and potentially blowing them up.

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gerald
VK3GJM :D
VK2TDN

Re: Mitec 10GHz E1 ( 2Mbit/s ) tranceiver

Post by VK2TDN »

Hi Gerald,
Get hold of VK2GG, Dan. He has been converting a MITEC to 10.368GHz for transverter use. It may be the same
or similar model to yours. pretty sure he is registered on the VKLogger and you will get his e-mail addy there.

cheers
Dave
VK2TDN
VK3GJM

Post by VK3GJM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It sounds like the same modules and from what I can reverse engineer, it appears most of the Mitec gear is similar and should it will work as a transverter with 2M IF. I will drop a mail to VK2GG.

Regards

Gerald

VK3GJM
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Hi Gerald,

Are your MITEC modules the "Minaman" version? Have a look at the labels on the modules. If so, I have quite a bit of info on converting them to ham operation. I have three 10 GHz transverters based on these MITEC modules. David VK3QM and I have put together a set of notes on the conversion process (not a step-by-step "how to", just hand-written notes and photos we took along the way). If you have the Minaman units I'll be happy to send you a CD of these notes. As it turned out, my links were on 10.6 GHz with a 600 MHz IF. A no-brainer to convert them to 10.368 GHz with a 432 MHz IF. A little loading of the hairpin filters brought the RF stages onto frequency.

By the way, there are at least two versions of the Minaman receive and transmit modules. One version of the TX module produces about 250 mW, the other up to 600 mW. The RX modules have either two or three stages of RF amplification ahead of the mixer. Even the 2-stage RX is more than adequate for terrestrial DX operation.

Drop me a line if you like at cgnaccar@gordontafe.edu.au

Chas
VK3PY
VK3GJM

Post by VK3GJM »

Hi Chas,

I still need to take stock of the types of modules that came with the complete links, infact one has 2 carriers, 4E1. I am not sure on the module types yet, but each appears to have an IF around 617MHz. I intent to test each module to make sure they operate in there original state.

It appears that I have the info from VK3QM from Geelong I think, it was given to me by Alan Devlin VK3XPD some time back, I will compare notes and take photos along the way.

I am surprised non of the official schematics have appeared yet, these radios are getting quite old.

I have put in a call to a company that may have proper circuits, I am hoping they can find the old files and are willing to go through it.

In the meantime, should I find anything, I will be more then happy to shre it.

Regards

Gerald

VK3GJM
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Hi Gerald and others,
I took some time to digitise the 48 pages from the partial manual today. Unfortunately, I probably scanned at too high a res...
Anyway the file is 29mb, so will send a disk to anyone who wants one. It is a .pdf file. (Can I make it smaller?)
Gerald, is your postal address in the 2009 Callbook??
cheers,

Dan
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

vk2gg wrote:Hi Gerald and others,
I took some time to digitise the 48 pages from the partial manual today. Unfortunately, I probably scanned at too high a res...
Anyway the file is 29mb, so will send a disk to anyone who wants one. It is a .pdf file. (Can I make it smaller?)
Gerald, is your postal address in the 2009 Callbook??
cheers,

Dan
Dan, if you are using ADOBE to create the PDF, use the "optimise scaned image" tool to shrink its finished size. I did something similar 12 months ago for a solid state HF P.A and the starting size of the PDF was huge :-)
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK3GJM

Post by VK3GJM »

Hi to all 10 GHz Mitec module users.

Stop press Dan.

I have been looking for Mitec data for a long time, hence this orignal post. With the help of VK3XPD ( thanks Alan ) I got some data from Alan via some guys in Geelong ( Go Bombers ) who did some of the hard work reverse engineering the Mitec modules. Well it's pay back time, please continue reading.

At last, a sort after package by myself arrived today across my desk, a complete service manual of the Mitec 10GHz RX/TX modules that makes the 2Mb/s PCM link radios many operators use for transverters etc, the complete original manual includes:-

detailed schematics for all PCB's
PCB layouts
Bill of material
Alignment details
block diagrams
Alignment
Operating description ETC ETC ETC.

I intent to keep the original manual, however free of charge I will share the required content.

I do need to go through it, to ensure 3rd party names are not scanned with it. If there are file area on this forum where I can dump these zipped files, people are welcome to it?

I have attached a sample, it's 300x300dpi, not good enough as I needed to strink it to less then 256K to download. The scanned quality is very good and about 1M in size, but here is a taste.

Regards

Gerald

VK3GJM
Attachments
Crystal Oscillator and PLL_schematic.pdf
Crystal Oscillator bank 19MHz and PLL
(117.84 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

Gerald

That will be awesome thanks so much for your efforts
If there isnt a place on here for files I will be happy to host the data pdf's on my www site :)

cheers
Dave
VK2TDN
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Hi Gerald,

Well done! Wherever your zipped MITEC manual ends up being placed, can you also put a copy of the modification info that you got from Alan VK3XPD? That way everything conveniently ends up in one place.

Chas
VK3PY (one of the two Geelong guys who developed the mods)

P.S. Matt - I guess this will take care of your request, but if you want a copy of my material urgently, contact me directly by email at cgnaccar@gordontafe.edu.au
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I'm looking for a pair of E1 links if anybody has some to swap or sell. I'm not fussed on the frequency, I'll modify them myself.
VK2KYP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2KYP »

Hi Guys
you can download schematics from here

This link

http://www.radcomms.net/Mitec.html

73 gary VK2KYP