Hand held in carry-on luggage

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Hand held in carry-on luggage

Post by VK5IR »

Hi

In a few months I am flying to Melbourne for 2 days, flying with Jetstar on the way to and Tiger on the way back. Both bookings are the cheap tickets with carry on luggage only which suits me fine. I am hoping the take my hand held 2m radio with me and probably just put it in the carry on luggage.

Does anyone think I will be hassled by airport security if the radio is detected in the x-ray machine? Are there any security rules/policies that might cause problems for me taking the radio into the airport or on-board the plane?

Would appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks

Theo
VK5FTDM
Theo
VK5IR
VK7HDX

Re: Hand held in carry-on luggage

Post by VK7HDX »

Hi Theo,
I travel often with a H/H and I have never had any problems with screening or security staff with carry on luggage. All I do is unscrew the antenna (if possible) also separate the battery from the H/H.

73..Karl
VK7HDX
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

Hi Theo .

I have carried my VX5 with short antenna attached many times and never once have I been questioned . Last week my bag was inspected as I had several fishing lures and they were concerned about the size of the hooks . AS we only catch small fish in VK7 this was not an issue HI.

Enjoy your holiday

Joe
VK7JG
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Theo,
I am sure every time you have flown in the last few years, you and almost every other passenger on any plane you have been on has been carrying a H/H radio. More commonly called a mobile phone. Only requirement there is to have it switched off.

VK3KH
Michael
VK5BJE
Forum Novice

Post by VK5BJE »

Hello all
I travelled to Christchurch two weeks ago and carried two hand helds: a VX5R and a TH-K4 (70cm only radio). I got through security at Adelaide but at Sydney the antenna on the Kenwood showed up as a cork screw: the helical antenna caused me grief. I had to take the two radios from my back pack and removed the batteries and take off the antennas. I said to the security personnel that taking off the batteries created a greater risk because of the possibility of shorting across the terminals. I asked for two plastic bags which they gave me.

Coming back from ChCh ten days later the radios were intact in the same back pack along side my mobile phone. I had no difficulties at ChCh or Melbourne. I have carried HT's lots of times and never had a problem. The various airline web sites are silent on this issue. I usually have more problems with my clarinet which I carry in my back pack!

John Dawes
VK5ATN
Forum Novice

Post by VK5ATN »

I've always carried a HH of some sort in my camera bag whenever I've flown in commercial aircraft during the past 30 or so years. These days I include a GPS, small binoculars, and camera in the same bag along with batteries for the equipment. The only problem I've ever struck was when I included my FT-817 on a trip to NZ some years ago. One of the '817 VHF antennas in the package caused the security people some concern. They put the antenna itself through the Xray again in its own tray and declared it to be OK.

The security screening at the airports are carried out by staff not necessarily connected with any airline - they are independent of the carrier so it won't matter who you fly with. You should not have any problems if you are clearly co-operative at all stages of any possible queries and use common sense in what you carry on and how you use it.

Terry
VK5ATN
VK3DJ

Post by VK3DJ »

Giday Theo, I have taken a complete HF station on a plane! I use the squidpole antenna and it all fits into a pvc tube which I check in as luggage. I then put an IC706 and tuner in a laptop carry bag and take that on as hand luggage. They ask you to open it for inspection but otherwise it is plain sailing (or should that be flying!)

Good luck on your travels.

Regards

Dallas
VK3DJ
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

I'd like to take an IC-7000 with me into China, mainly for logging the local C1 TV TXs when I'm in the area.
Too scared that the Chinese authorities with seize the radio upon entry. :shock:
Maybe an SDR blackbox radio might be more discrete?!!!
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I was forced to fly home to my previous location on Kangaroo Island via REX Airlines (140km, costing $200+ for 18 minutes at 7000 feet) after being transported to Adelaide via the Flying Doctor Pilatus PC-12. I can fly Adelaide to Cairns at 40,000 feet in four hours (with a can of beer and pretty attendants to gaze upon) for a bit over half the K.I. flight charge...grumble...

My YAESU VX-7 goes everywhere with me in my shoulder bag with mobile phone and digital camera....usually !

When I sent my bag through the X-ray conveyor at check-in I was told the radio was not permitted as it was a "scanner and not allowed on the aircraft".

I argued a bit, removed the battery pack and the antenna but a firm "NO" was still the answer, even from a 'supervisor'. Luckily my brother was still at the airport and when located took the VX-7 and posted it back to me on K.I. via Parcel Post.

I was doing nothing wrong but might have been at Adelaide Airport on somebody's bad day !

It might pay to enquire by telling-bone before using local airlines out of the quaint little village of Adelaide with such carry-on 'carry on'.

Imagine the carry on attempting to carry on some carrion ! (sorry ! :) )