Setting up a "shack"

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK5SWL7
Forum Novice

Setting up a "shack"

Post by VK5SWL7 »

Hi everyone, I have been SWL'g for a while now and have decided to get my Foundation licence when possible. I currently use a wire antenna " i'm avoiding using the terms long and random " around 10m long. Less than ideal, but for listening it works sort of ok. I have a pole mounted to the wall of my garage (7m high approx). Obviously i am going to need a better antenna to transmit. I have done a lot of internet research and found and explored the wire Dipole antenna. I have room in my yard to put up a 40m band dipole, or, I can extend the existing antenna out to 30m long. Measurements are, House to Pole = 17m, Pole to proposed other pole = 13m

What i am looking for is your combined wisdom on this because of the following;

Currently the antenna terminates in my sun room attached to the house which has all the amenities, however, it is surrounded by concrete making the nearest earth point over 10m away. Is this too long? This option is for the extended wire antenna which will be around 30 metres long.
The option is to use the dipole antenna and terminate it at the pole on the shed. Both options need another vertical pole to work. Problem is that the garage is besser brick, un insulated and "leaky" which means i would need to build a shack. So cost of shack + cost of rig, power supply etc. is upwards of $4,000. However my option for an earth is about 1m away.

From what i have learned, a dipole is the better option and will handle my 10w foundation level ok.

I would really appreciate your input on this.

Hope you are all well and enjoying your "air time", Cheers Steve
VK4SWL1
Forum Novice

Re: Setting up a "shack"

Post by VK4SWL1 »

Wondering if you have got your license and now "on the air" Steve? I hope to be doing the same this year.

I saw Adams' reply regarding the antenna part of your question in another topic, but the earth part of your question still interests me.

I am wondering how important an earth really is for general shack noise minimisation, if one is using coax-fed antennas which in themselves don't need an earth at the radio?

Its going to be a real hassle for me to drill a hole through the exterior brick wall to facilate a short earth lead. My antenna feeders already come in via the soffit and roof space quite nicely. The boss has a nice garden right outside my shack window, perfect for multiple earth rods or buried bare copper to give a good RF earth and just 2m from the front door so I can keep an eye on them each day ;)

Also local earth of radios really needs to be disconnected for equipment safety during storms, especially if one has overhead power (though I don't). Another reason not to have one if not needed.