Scalar mobile antennas

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK4KX
Forum Novice

Scalar mobile antennas

Post by VK4KX »

Anyone have info on some old Scalar mobile antennas that I got from the estate of my good friend dale VK4DGR, EX South Aus.
The antennas are model no# SC2M, SC15B, SC15A, SC80R. Or close to that as the tags are old and faded.
My best guess is 80m, 15m & possibly 2m but I think it's the base for each of those elements, similar to a Kenwood MA5, I will fit them when I get my car back from the panel shop after it's respray and test them then I will know.
Just thought I would ask here in case anyone knows for sure.

Thanks
Bernie, VK4KX
VK5ATN
Forum Novice

Re: Scalar mobile antennas

Post by VK5ATN »

I have used these at various times for probably around 40 years. They are a top load design which use the 26tpi brass thread (from memory). The SC2M should be a quarter wave at 2 metres. The loading coils were called resonators in some literature and Frank used to offer a full range from 80 metres to 10 metres. They would work on the 2 metre mast, but I wouldn't expect the performance to be too flash. They were more commonly used with a similar mast but which was a quarter wave for 6 metres (SC6M perhaps) and they performed quite well in this application. I used them extensively on 20 metres and also on 30 and 40 metres. I made up my own six metre quarter wave mast which used a 1/2" BSW Terlin base, and this combination was useable and safe right up to legal road limits. It covered thousands of kilometres on the back of our Magna.

I eventually made up a complete set of resonators / loading coils for all bands from 160 metres to 10 metres including the WARC bands - relatively easy using the lathe and similar tools. It was a lot of fun at the time - would have been infinitely easier with an antenna analyser but they weren't around in those days. The 80 and 160 metre ones were never used when mobile - only when stationary. I could coax them up (or down) to RFDS frequencies close to the amateur allocations for occasional use with my outback station in the days when I did that sort of thing by using a different length tuning stub on the top of the coil.

You can see pictures of the system in 30 metre config here: http://www.users.on.net/~tfneumann/Amat ... Magna.html.

Terry