FT8 sets off my Kiddie Smoke Detectors

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
KD2TZD
Forum Novice

FT8 sets off my Kiddie Smoke Detectors

Post by KD2TZD »

Hello, all. I recently got my ticket and just set up my first HF home shack. 100W ICOM 7300, Super Antenna set for 20m, and MFJ RF Isolator (near transceiver). SSB has been working. I tried FT8 twice and both times after less than a minute it has triggered all the Kiddie PI2010 smoke detectors in my two story home to alarm. When I stop the FT8, they stop too. These smoke detectors have a feature where when one goes off, it’s sound triggers the rest within ear shot to go off too. My super antenna is in the attic, and is less than 7 feet away from the closest detector in a bedroom. My current best guess is that SSB duty cycle is not full 100W but FT8 is, and the antenna is too close to one of the smoke detectors. But, I thought I’d ask the smart people here before I start down rabbit holes. Not a lot of options for the antenna placement in my attic. I’m in an HOA, so I tried to defer the outdoor antenna, and get on the air asap. I’d like to do the digital modes.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: FT8 sets off my Kiddie Smoke Detectors

Post by VK3RX »

Before trying ferrites on your smoke detector wiring, try cranking down your output power and use the minimum extent necessary :)

The data modes like FT8 etc. work well with minimum power, which is why they are popular for those in restricted housing environments like you, retirement villages etc.
Damien VK3RX
KD2TZD
Forum Novice

Re: FT8 sets off my Kiddie Smoke Detectors

Post by KD2TZD »

Yes, when I keep FT8 below 20W, it does not trigger the smoke detectors.