Tesla battery wall v 2.0

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Tesla battery wall v 2.0

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi
about to embark on the install of a version 2 Tesla battery wall as I want my power consumption from the shack to not come from the grid overnight. Have taken a bit of a RFI base line and hope not to see any big birdies or wide band noise after the install.

This has all come about after my failed attempts to run a battery bank by the shack to offset my power usage on WSPR and other monitoring, which resulted in a fire and a totally unnecessary 5 month ordeal with my insurance company.

Earlier research on the WWW shows that hams in the USA have not reported seeing any increase in background noise after adding a Tesla power wall but the experience in VK may be different. Comments and input from those in Oceania would be great. I will try and update the thread as it progresses. Install day is Friday the 6th of Sept, fingers crossed it all goes well.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: Tesla battery wall v 2.0

Post by VK3ALB »

Haven't heard of a battery wall before but here it is.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

Peter, the suspense is killing us all.

Is it noisy? Is it not noisy? Does it really work? How does it actually work? :popcorn:

Richard VK5ZLR
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
here is an update, the Tesla PowerWall 2 is in and it works. Of course it is terrible cloudy weather at present as not seen it get to 100% reserve yet but first few nights we were 90% self powered by the PowerWall with little coming from the grid (included cooking a roast in the electric oven).

Noise wise I can find NO new spots or noises across my limited HF systems and nothing new on my VHF/UHF systems. Looks like it is clean, which sort of surprised me but also made me smile too :clap: .

This system has in built blackout protection via a separate sub power board that provides a change over from incoming mains to local power. When tested it worked well, which is important to me as we get a lot of short duration outages and I am sick of having to fire up the honda gen set to keep the fridges cold.

Will post photos.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Here are the promised photos from the install
Early stage of the install
Early stage of the install
finished install, with existing 5KW solar to the left
finished install, with existing 5KW solar to the left
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Okay,
now for the bad news, after the first few days of really cloudly weather at the start where the battery did not completely charge, the sun has come out and now the battery gets to 100%. It would seem that once at 100% charge, it goes into a different mode and the bands of RF noise starts across 50 MHz. I have not seen anything new on 144 and not had a chance to be at home during the day to test HF but suspect that will be nasty also.

Hmmm not sure where I go to now.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

wrap it up in tinfoil.....

We will be quite interested to know what you find after further investigations.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

here is a link I did not find earlier, where a US station has gone through the process of RF suppression

http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2017/12/does ... e-rfi.html
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill