My Pi journey
to take all these nerdy boxes and send them to you FOC
One on ADSB
One of Flight Aware
One basic model.
Never got to work.
Too glitchy
tech support says I am the nerd..
I rate them in same light as an Apple MAC and LINUX.
and maybe OS2?
That's not to say the nerds cant get them going with time on their hands.
to coin phrase of a friend PAAASSSSSS.
enjoy PJ
None return.
Tread your own path :om:
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Re: My Pi Journey

Post by VK6SIX »

"and maybe OS2?"

OS2 was used for many years by the commonwealth bank on bank branch computers, magic OS it was.

e&oe

vk6ro
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello RO,
for a long time it was my go to O/S for PC but when they stopped improving it and Windoze leapfrogged ahead with applications that could not function on OS/2 (Win 95 and 98) it was hard to stay with it, I still have the disks and CDrom from "Warp 3" and had loaded it onto a modern PC about 12 months ago for nostalgia's sake then wiped it clean again.

For those that do not know, OS/2 was a true multi tasking O/S for Intel processors when all windows could do is still live on top of DOS 6.22 and pretend to multi-task, I guess that is a by gone time.
VK6SIX wrote:"and maybe OS2?"

OS2 was used for many years by the commonwealth bank on bank branch computers, magic OS it was.

e&oe

vk6ro
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Please be patient this is a work in progress. . . .

Sick of the serial ports re-assigning their values in Linux... /dev/ttyusb0 becomes /dev/ttyusb1 on restart? I am.. GRR..

please note the details below are specific to Raspian stretch and not other distro's some may have loaded BUT this can do no harm and all you do is delete the RULES file and your back where you started.

information sourced from here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... tatic-name

It is all based around a RULES file that we need to create that is scanned at boot time
so please create in this directory /etc/udev/rules.d create this file by issuing this command $ sudo nano 99-usb-serial.rules

Now the content of my rules file (seen below) may seem a bit cryptic but here we go... one line per rule, first line is assigning the device with an Vendor ID of 0424 and a Product ID of 2514 with a symbolic link named "tty-IC7100" which can be used inside most applications as the name of the serial port. The second line create a similar linkage for the serial port connected to my IC910.

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0424", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2514", SYMLINK+="tty-IC7100"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", SYMLINK+="tty-IC910"

The name of the SYMLINK can be anything meaningful to you, I chose to prefix mine with "tty" to remind me they are a serial port.

The slightly difficult part is getting those "idVendor" and "idProduct" numbers but all things of goodness come from a terminal windows (command line). For each of your installed serial ports issue the command like below.

$ udevadm info --name=/dev/ttyUSB1 --attribute-walk

now this will display a LOT of information (many screens full) to the console window, scroll back up and look for:

ATTRS{devspec}==" (null)"
ATTRS{idProduct}=="2046"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451"
ATTRS{ltm_capable}=="no"

Now you have the needed info to populate the rules file you created earlier..

To get the PI to create these links for you without a reboot, issue the following command..

$ sudo udevadm trigger

$ ls -l /dev/tty-IC7100
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Dec 31 19:21 /dev/tty-IC7100 -> ttyUSB1

$ sudo udevadm trigger

now to check they were created, issue this command (put your SYMLINK name in there instead of mine), if it comes back empty (no SymLink) then there is an error in the RULES file you created, check for spelling mistakes or wrong ID's

$ ls -l /dev/tty-IC910
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Dec 31 19:26 /dev/tty-IC910 -> ttyUSB0

now you can use the alias's (symlink) in WSJT-X as the serial port names "/dev/tty-IC7100" for my IC-7100 and "/dev/tty-IC910" for my IC910H

more soon... I needed to note this down before I lost the work in progress..
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
it has been some time since the last post here, things have just been doodling along here at home with little change needed to the way the PI works. In the last few days I have seen the notices that a new version of the raspberry PI is about to hit the market and it is claimed to be 3 times faster than the PI-3B that I currently use. . . hmmm I think I have to buy one :D seeing it is just $60 AUS BUT the case, power supply (now uses USB-C connector) and HDMI connectors have all changed so their starter kit ($99) is once again a good choice to get going with a PI-4

https://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au/ra ... -4-model-b

As my shack is still not repaired after the fire (another story in itself) this will give me a reason to do some initial investigations and see if I can connect the IC-7100 to the new PI on a temp antenna.

If you found the PI-3 a bit slow for FT8 decodes then the PI-4 might be the answer to this.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

G'day Peter,

Sorry to hear about your fire - hopefully it wasn't fire pit related like mine a couple of years ago at 2am one night while I was tucked up in bed. Thank goodness for two smoke alarms (otherwise I wouldn't be here typing this) and insurance on a three year old house... :oops:

Re the Pi4, I was reading the Pi-Star forums last night and a couple of guys have them already, to test with MMDVM boards and they've noticed a substantial increase in temp & current compared to the Pi-3 variants. Even the Pi-3 gets hot enough, especially with an MMDVM Dual HS hat on it.

My Pi-3B & MMDVM
DSC_0149 (Medium).JPG
Plus, as you've noted, some of the connectors have changed (USB & Ethernet have swapped sides) and most of old enclosures won't suit the new Pi-4. But for other uses, it's a lot more horsepower for only a few sheckles more...

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA