Hand keyed Morse clarity

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3FMPC
Forum Novice

Hand keyed Morse clarity

Post by VK3FMPC »

Hi all I’m on my f licence an I’m wondering if the hand keyed Morse stipulation refers to A/ not using computer generated Morse code or
B/it refers to not being able to use a paddle with a built in keyer in the radio[ ie only a strait key]
Or is hand sending code with a key through a radio keyer acceptable within the regs
Cheers mark
[ps my wrist is bugged and I fought I’ll be able to use a strait key]
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: Hand keyed Morse clarity

Post by VK5ZD »

What regs are you referring to?
There is no requirement to send or receive morse code for any of the amateur licenses.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Iain,

It's not a requirement, simply a condition of operation. i.e. A F call can operate CW if they want but it must be hand keyed.

It's on p 16 of the determinations

29 Emissions from an amateur foundation station
The licensee must not operate an amateur foundation station in a frequency
band mentioned in column 1 of an item in Schedule 3A unless:
(a) it is operated using an emission mode mentioned in column 2 of that
item; and
(b) if the emission mode is 200HA1A – the information to be transmitted
by the station is sent by the use of a manually operated morse key
; and
(c) the transmission remains entirely within that frequency band.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3ALB wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:57 am
(b) if the emission mode is 200HA1A – the information to be transmitted
by the station is sent by the use of a manually operated morse key
; and
BUT!
My interpretation of that is, a paddle type morse key is also ok.
A paddle is manually operated by hand.
Instead of one switch contact, there are two manually operated switch contacts.
And yes, electronics determine the dot/dash ratio and speed, but it is still ultimately operated by hand.

Most transceivers have paddle inputs, and for that functionality to work, it requires the user to manually operate the paddles.
The same transceivers that Foundation calls are allowed to operate.

Why are rules and regulations often vague and open to misinterpretation?
They should be very specific.

:popcorn:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

My personal opinion is that crap CW could be sent equally well with a straight key as a keyer but at least with a keyer there is a chance that the character spacing might be more even.

What is more important in that clause is the requirement to stay within band limits. By specifying a key it implies that you can't use PC generated CW.

Mark, I would say that if you want to use a paddle to drive your radio keyer then do so. Of course, all the literature, and different courses and the old timers insist that you learn to read CW well before you try sending. That makes perfect sense to me because how can you send CW if you don't know how it should sound?

The other option you have is to ask the ACMA for clarification.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

VK3ALB wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 pm The other option you have is to ask the ACMA for clarification.
As with many authorities, caution is warranted re asking clarification of some regulation, lest you get an answer/determination you don't want .... :)

To paraphrase a saying when something is unclear:

Sometimes It's better to beg for forgiveness later than seek permission beforehand.
Damien VK3RX
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Damien,

Yep agreed. I can imagine the safe interpretation will be "straight key". A more encouraging interpretation would be to use a paddle but stay away from computer generated CW - i.e. typing on a keyboard and getting CW. Yes that also precludes keyboard macros.

I once asked the ACMA for an interpretation re using D-star on 10m. I got phone call from a ACMA officer and we spoke for some time about the issue. In the end a definitive answer was not given.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3FMPC
Forum Novice

Post by VK3FMPC »

VK3ALB wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 pm My personal opinion is that crap CW could be sent equally well with a straight key as a keyer but at least with a keyer there is a chance that the character spacing might be more even.

What is more important in that clause is the requirement to stay within band limits. By specifying a key it implies that you can't use PC generated CW.

Mark, I would say that if you want to use a paddle to drive your radio keyer then do so. Of course, all the literature, and different courses and the old timers insist that you learn to read CW well before you try sending. That makes perfect sense to me because how can you send CW if you don't know how it should sound?

The other option you have is to ask the ACMA for clarification.
I am working on 20 wpm read at the moment ...slow but I see the reason behind this and think it’s sound... as everyone has stated it’s an unclear reg witch is stated diferently in the win litrature and the acma stuff...far as I can tell it’s ok but I’ll give the wia a call..one says hand keyed one hand generated. Wouldn’t be an issue ecept my right wrist is fairly smashed up and a strait key will prove difficult to use for any length of time.
Apart from Morse being kinda cool, a 10 w limit in the current cycle is not a lot of use, it would likly be ok at the night of the cycle but for someone wanting experience at the bottom of the cycle it’s frustrating enough to give up the hobby,although Morse at 10 w I think may prove a different story.....hopefully the wia recommendations to acma go through , I can do withought digital modes but enough power to make contacts is another thing
VK3FMPC
Forum Novice

Post by VK3FMPC »

Thanks to everyone who commented, it’s this stuff that’s been running through my head for the last few weeks
Cheers
Ps got my 40 meter delta loop up on the weekend,all tuned up ..just have to integrate the scg237 and knock up a feed point center bottom so I can swap to a horizontally polarised 40 m with a 75 ohm matching stub