Viewing laptop screen in bright sunlight.

VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Viewing laptop screen in bright sunlight.

Post by VK3ALB »

In the past I have hauled a portable shack into the field which meant I had no problem seeing my laptop screen even on a sunny day. There are places I want to go that make it impossible to bring the shack. In fact, I can't even bring the car. I have a late model laptop which is not bad but bright sunlight is still a problem especially with the glare from my own glasses, reflections etc.

I know about shade boxes both homebrew and commercial and some glare can be reduced by limiting reflections from light color clothing but want to hear what others do particularly when not able to bring shade with them.

What do YOU do to make viewing your laptop easier outdoors?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Re: Viewing laptop screen in bright sunlight.

Post by VK4CLG »

I have the same problem with our Day time MAD's up here in S/E VK4. I know I don't have a photo of it but I once cut the side off a cardboard box that fit neatly over the top of the laptop and duct taped it to the portable table. It worked real well so being a bit of a wood worker I'm working on the idea of a simple fold up MDF shade that can be easy carried to the portable site and folded down flat and maybe even carried in the laptop bag. Nothing worse than trying to work FT-8 or do a log while portable and not being able to see the screen.

Robert
VK4LHD