Internet Scammers posing as Amateurs

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Internet Scammers posing as Amateurs

Post by VK3RX »

I've just had an email response to a wanted ad on VK Classifieds. Originator was a U.S. callsign @ yahoo.com address.

The name they used doesn't tie in with the holder of that call, although the call holder's email address on qrz.com is the same.

I did a Google search on the text of their email to me. It is an almost identical cut and paste from a for sale ad placed by a U.S. amateur on qrz.com last month :)

I found another email address for the call holder (in the forums of either qrz.com or eham, can't remember which) and I've dropped him a line telling him what is going on. No response as yet.

Interestingly, for the scam to work, you would think email to the yahoo address will be delivered to the scammer, which suggests he/she either has access to the yahoo account or has registered themselves with that address. I had a look at the email message header, and the reply-to address is the same yahoo address i.e. it is not delivering to another.
Damien VK3RX
VK3LAJ

Post by VK3LAJ »

Sound like a scam or what!
Alright,
I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as
am currently oversea (China) at the moment and I want it picked up
before i get back, though i wont back in couple of weeks. Due to my
inability to make a bank deposit,I would be paying via PayPal which is
safer for me. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an
account at www.paypal.com if you dont have one.Or I can also transfer
money from my PayPal account to your bank account.All i need for that
is your bank details i.e bank name,account holder's name,account
number and bsb so i can proceed with payment.I will make a concrete
pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over
for pick up once you receive full payment into your account.Have a
nice day. Few more photos will be appreciated as well and I am pleased
with the Price.

I'd like to know certain things too

Are you the first owner?
What is your reason for selling it?

I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before I proceed.

Yvonne
VK3LAJ

Post by VK3LAJ »

My Reply:
Bank: Bank of Cheyenne
Name of account: Clarence Morrow
Account: 665-587
BSB : 3324

Amount: $1499

Thanks
Cheyenne is a class of starship off startrek
Clay Morrow is lead char from Sons of Anarchy
Numbers are all BS
Price/Amount is also $500 more than the ad states

Interesting to see the reply
:lol:
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Hmm :?

If you had gone down the path of sending him a Paypal invoice, and subsequently got told by PP that the amount had been paid, and you saw the amount in your relevant account, would that not be "safe"?

Or is there something with this particular type of transaction method I'm missing?

Clearly you wouldn't release goods until you saw the $$$$ in your account via PP -
Damien VK3RX
VK3LAJ

Post by VK3LAJ »

Hi Damien,

Thats what i was thinking - but if you google the first line of the email, you'll see it used dozens of times word for word.
Im sure they'd give the money, start a paypal dispute or something
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

You are probably right.

Yes, it is a good idea to Google the text of sus messages.

Responses to "wanted" ads are often word for word cut and pastes from someone else's for sale ad, with either the same item, or just the equipment changed.
Damien VK3RX
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

I had a kiwi on an oil rig try to buy my aircraft that was going to be picked up by an agent and delivered to Darwin (that would be right)

Wonders never cease.

An aircraft for gods sake?

And somewhere in my kit I have a cancelled check from AMEX for $9500 US for a 280Z Left hand drive I was supposed to sell and containerise and deliver to Portland to a ship.

FBI still looking for the dude.

Seriously dudes...

Its called buyer beware, if you don't know by now don't advertise on line.

And then there are the heaps of s**t I have been conned into buying on VKHAM

latest an AG35 mast head preamp came weather stained rusty no clamps and from a ham none the less.

HAMS do you really think we have some sort of credibility, kidding right?? :|
Last edited by VK3ZAZ on Tue May 06, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tread your own path :om:
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

if its too good to be true it probably is

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Internet sale? Cheque it out
By Spectator-Observer Partnership | 3 Mar 2005 @ 12:00 AM
Originally written by Spectator-Observer Partnership
An internet sale that could have gone horribly wrong has seen a Hamilton man end up with the car he was trying to sell … and (temporarily) the money as well.
Steve Gregory found his left-hand drive black 1981 Datsun 280Z in the central Australian town of Coober Pedy, where it had been sitting in a shed for 17 years. It was originally owned by a US serviceman. Steve bought it and brought it back to Hamilton where he did it up. But after a time, found it wasn’t practical for his use, so decided to advertise it for sale on the internet.

His internet advertisement got a bite.
Not only that, but the person buying the car sent Steve a bank cheque for $US9500 in the mail.
The cheque appeared genuine and was cashed at Steve’s bank for $12,000 Australian.
But a niggling suspicion that something wasn’t quite right intensified when the person buying the car then emailed him to containerise the car.
But it was going to take 30 days to clear the cheque and the cargo ship sailed in a week.
Steve had photocopied the cheque, so to confirm his suspicions, he sent the number and BSB code to FBI in the US. They confirmed it was a counterfeit.

“As soon as I realised it was counterfeit, I rang the Hamilton police and the bank,” Steve said. “I now have to go to the bank and sign the money back to them.
“It appears that these people send you a cheque and hope that before you cash it, you send them the goods – my car in this case,” he said.
“You end up without the car, without the money and with a worthless cheque.

“The original cheque was genuine stock – the name was genuine, the account and the teller signature were genuine and the magnetic coding was correct …
but the check was counterfeited many times. That meant the numbers were the same on every counterfeit cheque.
“The FBI I spoke to in America said it was the first time the cheque had appeared internationally, and being a bank cheque, that’s why it was cashed out.
Had I drawn the funds down would have had to pay them back even if I had shipped the car.
“That was my first – attempt at selling anything on the internet.”
Note to sellers: Not only do you have to worry about facing criminal charges for misrepresenting or fraud, but there’s also the very real possibility of having to answer to a civil lawsuit should you get caught.
And if you lose, as in the recent case of an Australian couple sued for selling a faked car, you may even have to refund the difference between a real and fake car to the unlucky buyer.

Australian couple ordered to repay $108,000 for selling fake Ford Falcon XW GT -
See more at:
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 ... lwoba.dpuf

I use PAYPAL and I think they have some clout to stop fraud, only time will tell.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

This guy sent an email to vk3zaz and steve g
very credible information.
All of it put out there by me or my friends.
So all you texters posting everything day after day
Its all out there on the internet for eternity or longer
and smart people can find out who you are, where you are, who your kids are, when your birthdays are, where you live what your phone number is.

Wait till they reengineer you with all your posts and boasts ABW
even the donuts in the V8 Commodore in Townsville is still on the internet..
all the KST comments
carefull what you wish for
UKSMG posts
Buyer beware poster beware.

What goes around comes around.

I know only to well.

:om:
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

And if one is silly enough to be on FB, any pix you post on your private page becomes the property of FB for use as they see fit, even if your page is not public i.e. only access by members/invite.

Try telling a teenager to be careful what they post, because it may come back to bite at some stage.
Damien VK3RX
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Steve and Damian,

Identity theft and related issues have been going on for centuries. The only difference now, is that the medium has changed and is faster and more accessible to a larger population, at any given time.

You only have to read some of the newspapers of the 18th century to realise that you can glean an enormous amount of information about a person, including their opinions and habits.

One famous case from 1844, called the "Wills Forgeries" used precisely the same techniques that phishers use today, exploiting the weaknesses in the "system".

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/bl ... the-1840s/

" The more things change, the more they stay the same".

Cheers

Peter VK3QI