Microwave Operator Survey

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Microwave Operator Survey

Post by VK5ZD »

Hello all

Myself and a couple of other VK5 operators are contemplating a road trip in a couple of months which will take us to VK2, VK3 & VK4. We will have microwave equipment with us and would be looking to make contacts along the way with particular emphasis on the millimetre wave bands (24GHz and above).

This raised the question of where are all the microwave operators and what bands can they work on. To answer this I would like to conduct a survey. All I need from you is a call sign, grid square (or postcode) and what bands you can operate on (1296MHz and above). I'll compile the data into a table and post it here for the benefit of all. Please send your information by email to band.info@vk5zd.com

73 & Thanks in advance
Iain – VK5ZD
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Re: Microwave Operator Survey

Post by VK7HH »

Hi Iain,
I replied via email, but for the benefit of others I'll post here too -

I have 1296MHz permanently installed at my remote station QE37LD and worked Peter 5PJ last week on tropo using it.

I'm slowly building up my microwave gear, I will have 2.4GHz and 3.4GHz for portable operation shortly.
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Iain

Is there a template for the response to ensure that we provide complete details that also meet the expectations of the survey? :!:

Whilst limited to the cm bands, I'm always keen to utilise the gear and drive the $/QSO rates down, and will email my response over weekend when I get near the shack.

It probably goes without saying, a view to also including operating times/availability might also be necessary in the survey - some of us [a shrinking minority] are still gainfully employed and unable to support weekday operations. :om:

Kind regards,
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Last week we had best tropo ever seen
1296 beacons over S9
most contacts came from dragging people up from 2m.
The morning rush in vk3 serves to get people on the air and contacts can be arranged.
If it wasnt for 5BC 5PJ 5AKK et al.
7HH et al
and the daily VK3 VBI AXH 5TN et al
we would be dead in water.
and winter is coming.

field day was good but conditions NOT!

worked vk6vox when I spotted him on the logger.
no zls west of gippsland.
few vk7
Tread your own path :om:
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Here is the list so far. Please note that some of the information has been obtained from sources other than the operator (e.g. VHF-UHF Field Day results) although I'm ignoring stations that only have 1296MHz as there are loads of them.

If you see something that's incorrect please let me know.
If you know someone else with microwave gear please give me the details as they might not be seeing these messages.

At this stage I'm only recording which bands people can operate on plus a free format notes field (which is not on the published report) with any other info that's provided. As Scott (VK4CZ) has mentioned, when it comes to arranging a contact there is the question of availability. I've decided not to record that information at this time because it can vary too much.

Iain
VK Microwave Operators.pdf
(42.21 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK3APW
Forum Novice

Post by VK3APW »

Hi Iain,
Peter VK3APW..... in addition to what you already have on your list, I also have 24, and 47, operational, with 76GHz needing less than a days work to complete.

Regards
Peter vk3apw
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3APW wrote:Peter VK3APW..... in addition to what you already have on your list, I also have 24, and 47, operational, with 76GHz needing less than a days work to complete.
I'll record you as having 76GHz. Hope we can work you on it in March. :beer:
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

The list has further updates.
It seems a bit silly to upload the file here each time it changes so the latest version can always be obtained here:
http://www.vk5microwave.net/VKMicrowaveOperators.pdf
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Great to see so many names on the list.

Just in case they're watching and haven't run an inventory yet I can think of a few missing operators. Most of these have systems 10GHz and below but I know some have at least 24 & 47

VK2DAG, VK2ZRH, VK3HZ, VK3KH, VK3NX, VK3QM, VK3TU, VK3YFL, VK3XPD, VK4UH, VK4MIL, VK4REX
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3ALB wrote:Just in case they're watching and haven't run an inventory yet I can think of a few missing operators. Most of these have systems 10GHz and below but I know some have at least 24 & 47
VK2DAG, VK2ZRH, VK3HZ, VK3KH, VK3NX, VK3QM, VK3TU, VK3YFL, VK3XPD, VK4UH, VK4MIL, VK4REX
Thanks Lou
I've added records for VK3XPD (he's got everything), VK2DAG (from his website), VK3NX (from his website) and VK4UH (from a YouTube video).
Hopefully I'll receive some info from the others.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Thanks Iain,

David VK3QM has everything to 47GHz.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour