XRef - 10MHz-Locked Reference Oscillator

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: XRef - 10MHz-Locked Reference Oscillator

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Kevin,

There was an issue with some of the earlier boards where, under certain conditions, the divider chip could "take off" when the synthesizer was disabled (i.e. running the rig without 10 MHz connected). This then interfered with the standard Kenwood reference oscillator causing some strange effects.

There's a simple fix which was applied to later boards, then incorporated in a recent redesign of the PCB. I'll describe the mod in the next posting.

If you don't want to try the mod yourself, return the board to me and I'm happy to do it.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

XRef-VS Modification

Under certain conditions, some XRef-VS boards can generate a spurious output when the XRef is supposedly disabled (i.e. no 10 MHz applied).
The XRef-VS is mainly used for the TS-2000 and the IC-910H fitted with a hi-stab OEM oscillator.

The mod is applicable to XRef-VS boards delivered prior to the start of 2015. Later boards already have this modIfication. From the start of 2016, this mod is incorporated in the redesigned PCB.

** Note - This mod is NOT required and MUST NOT be done to an XRef-VT, XRef-FT or XRef-PLL board. **

You need a 10K 1/8W standard (i.e. not SMD) resistor - the smaller the better. You also need a short length of wire.

The mods are shown in red on the PCB overlays below. Note that these overlays show the full set of components used for both versions (VS and VT). The VS does not have anything where the large square outlines are shown (TCXO and adjustment trimpot, only on the VT).
Top of PCB
Top of PCB
Underside of PCB
Underside of PCB
Begin by removing the SMD resistor that is crossed out in red on the top side of the PCB.
Solder the 10K 1/8W resistor to the top side of the PCB as shown.
Add the wire link on the underside of the PCB as shown.

That's it. Reinstall the board and enjoy trouble-free operation (now).

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Resurrecting a long dormant thread!

First of all, thanks Dave VK3HZ for providing a solution to the XREF-VS unlock situation with the TS2000.

And now my question: has anyone used the XREF-VS with their TS590s or sg??

TIA
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Yes, the XRef-VS for a TS-2000 has been used on a TS-590S. The rig didn't have the optional TCXO but the XRef was to be always used with 10MHz supplied. Just change the output coupling capacitor to 47pF, inject at the TCXO output and you should get the right level. You'll need to break the power feed to the XO.

All you need to do is find a TS-2000 XRef-VS.
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

VK3HZ wrote:Yes, the XRef-VS for a TS-2000 has been used on a TS-590S. The rig didn't have the optional TCXO but the XRef was to be always used with 10MHz supplied. Just change the output coupling capacitor to 47pF, inject at the TCXO output and you should get the right level. You'll need to break the power feed to the XO.

All you need to do is find a TS-2000 XRef-VS.

Still a demand for your excellent X-ref design David!

As we have discussed before, a need for a second production run or maybe a Mk.2 one-size-fits-all version

Would you and your group consider another run or maybe even let someone else do it?

Seasons Greetings

KJ VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane