FT8 2 meters

FT8 discusson
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

FT8 2 meters

Post by ZL3MH »

Hi all, The big question is ! Is SSB going to die from 144.100 and FT8 is
going to rule ! Similar to what happened to 6m. I hope not !
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Re: FT8 2 meters

Post by VK2AOH »

Certainly hope not, the thought of having to drag a computer about where ever one goes would be to painful to contemplate.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

No more than cw
ssb on 144.1 runs from 0700 to 0900 each day here
as for ft8 who needs to speed date on 2M
FT8 will be the death of ham radio as we know it
just check 6M when band opens
the dxers work long distance
the speed daters work each other over and over and over
day after day
whatever turns them on
'we watch JT at same time and you can actually hear stuff from afar.

ft8 like instant coffee
:thumbup:
Tread your own path :om:
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

I still find it hard to believe that so many people can have a whinge and bitch about FT-8 and how it will be the end of the hobby. Well how about for once you all stop being so self centred and think about others who are out there.
For example me. I'm now almost stone deaf as much as I would like to pick up the mic and call CQ and talk to someone. It is almost physically impossible. I only have 8% natural hearing and even with the best head phones and tele coils that connect my hearing aids to the rig it is still incredibly difficult for me to hear what people are saying. So for me it's either digital modes (FT-8 JT65 or what ever) or give up the hobby and seriously I have come close to giving it up on a few occasions. So yes FT-8 might be pain in the a*** to you but it's as all I have got so have a think about others in the hobby who are like me before you go whinging about FT-8.

Robert
VK4LHD
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Wow, once again the old fogeys preach doom and gloom. They then insult and belittle anyone who doesn't conform to their world view.

Digital modes are as legitimate as your 'olde world' methods.

At least digital modes, particularly FT-8, are getting people on air.

Here is an idea, open up your mind to things outside of your narrow experience and if you don't want to do that, then get out of the way of people who are willing to try things.
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3RC »

OK lets look at this, is SSB going to die on 144.1, don't know and don't care as OUR ZL SSB calling channel is 144.2
Don't ask me why two countries so close together don't share the same SSB calling channels. Bit like the VHF contest days, just silly.

One observation about FT8 I would make is some, not all, but a lot of them are not that strong in the -16 range and that wouldn't make an SSB contact.
SO FT8 is enabling me to make contacts when conditions aren't that good but where I fail is that I don't move to SSB when things improve.
I also suspect over time this will sort its self out as its as boring as hell sitting there clicking on callsigns and having the software do the work when you have a big fat red line on FT8.

Just think of these digital modes as enablers and that they do. Look at the current SA activity on 6m, all JT65, why, because it wouldn't happen unless it was.
Last year I watched one SA station get up to about -3 or so and at that stage got them to move to SSB. We made the contact on that mode which for me was way more exciting that JT65.

OK FT8 isn't JT65 but the same sore of thing is possible so use it as a tool to make a contact or test the propagation.
Then lets talking to each other as you can share a lot more information in one 15sec over that you will ever be able to do on FT8 or any of the other current digital modes.

As always these are my misguide views and its just me "talking" with my keyboard and not a pen on paper, gee another modern enabler!

Roger
ZL3RC
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

How about trying Digital Voice to replace SSB?

With Low BitRate codecs and modems now available, download the app or source:
www.freedv.org

I've modified David Rowe's FreeBeacon code to be a store and forward repeater.
It's running now on 14.153MHz, mode 700D. Put my callsign in the text to trigger repeat.

Digital solves two repeater problems:
1) is the signal valid? sync
2) Does the signal want to be repeated? destination in the data

VKLOGGER forum REBOOTED, that's great. I missed it.

Alan VK2ZIW