23-on-23 - building activity

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

23-on-23 - building activity

Post by VK4CZ »

It's now probably close to 5 years since 23-on-23 Activation Events started. And whilst interest still exists and is slowly building [at least in VK2 - they were slow to learn], the overall level of participation remains low compared to the stated capability - just scan through VKLogger operator profiles for Station Details.

I agree that it would be all too easy to have a 'Statler and Waldorf' [Muppet's grumpy old men :om: ] response and say it's just endemic of AR in 2018 [and that's probably partly true] but as I've discovered when discussing the potential to activate 23cm and above with those who have the capability, there remains a true level of excitement to activate their 23cm capabilities... yet the motivations haven't yet translated into activity.

It's been noted that the VK2 contingent have started to amp up their support [pun very deliberately used], and are now regularly leading the way with activity levels. Yet VK3 has never been convinced of the activation event benefits as seen by the level on participation [yet have the largest number of profiles stating 23cm Station Capability]. VK5... reason not known. And VK6 from memory have a weekly 23cm activity event.

So, why is it that mid-week 23-on-23 activation events continue to struggle to gain support?
* Work? - Sample of one.... whilst I still promote the activation event, and participate as often as I can, when they fall on a week night and even with the 8pm start time I rarely can participate as I typically walk in the door from work only minutes earlier... and needing to provide sustenance to the family [also hold role of #1 cook too], the result is my arrival in the shack typically closer to 9pm, if at all.
* Too late? - 8pm is too late for the majority and by that time they are well and truly unable to participate.
* To complicated? - the rules of the activation are too hard to follow.
* No local activity? - located well away from areas of activity.
* No incentive?- want it to be more competitive. Could we turn the activation events into a competitive event. Points per QSO, Points per kilometer... accrued over 6/12mths with a certificate awarded in each state. Logged on VKLogger as verification.

So to advance the concept of an activation event, I'm seeking your help to inform if changes should be made/trialled.

OK.... Go!
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Re: 23-on-23 - building activity

Post by VK4CLG »

The one thing is for sure and that is there is a very rapid decline in the VK4 participation of the 23 on 23. It was quite easy for me to get 8 or more contacts on 23cm alone. Now I'm luck if I can get 2 or 3 contacts on 23cm.
My real problem is I can not work 23cm from home due to all the terrain and buildings in my path to the south which mean going portable is my only option. For me to go portable I have to take half my shack apart to get my IC-910H out and fill my car with transverters, antennas, table and chair, drive to the location and just hope I can get the spot I want and setup for the night. I also got to power all this gear which means taking batteries for the night time running ( solar during the day events). Almost all of the rest of the southern stations are working from the comfort of their home QTH so I can't see why it is so hard for them to take 1 hour a month to sit in front of the radio and work 23cm. I been going portable since the start of the 23 on 23 and have hardly missed a month. My average attendance would be at least 10 out of the 12 sessions we have each year with the 23 on 23.

How could make it better??. To be honest I have no idea. Having a points system might work but that already puts me at a disadvantage. Most of the southern stations can work Grant VK2MAX and get a nice points score with that one contact alone. I have never been able to reach Grant from the Sunshine Coast (either from Buderim or Howells Knob) but I have tried. I don't know if certificates for participation would work or who is even going to print them out or make them up and send it to our emails as a PDF to print ourselves. I have tried to push the idea up here on the Sunny Coast to get more northern stations on but even up here where there are at least another 4 stations with 23cm capability there is no interest.

Are we having too many of them??. Is 12 a year too much for some people. Do we cut it back to just the warmer season (October to April) and just have the one 23 on 23 MAD plus day time run in July on a weekend regardless of if it falls on the 23rd or not. For me personally I don't mind where or when the 23 on 23 is happening. I will be there if possible. It will be a shame if the VK4 23 on 23 dies off. I hope it don't but I would like to thank Scott VK4CZ for his continued support and advertising of the 23 on 23. It may well have died off a long time ago without his continued support.

Robert
VK4LHD
VK4JAZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4JAZ »

I am following this thread with interest. I have no 23cm equipment so have never taken part, but what I observe here in VK4 in general is in sync with your experiences with 23 on 23. I am involved in SOTA, being the administrator for VK4 and participation here is also dismal compared to the southern states. There just doesn't seem to be the same level of companionship and community spirit here. I started off in SOTA a few years back when I was stationed in Canberra (Navy, you know) and found the spirit there to be quite refreshing. We had no trouble organising and running regular SOTA parties, activations or even dinners. Not so in VK4. If I could put together a 23cm station (or the pieces necessary to make use of my FT-817) I'd be keen to take part, that's for sure.
Grant VK4JAZ
Grant, Brisbane, QG62ll
Achieving more with less.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

With the release of the much anticipated Icom IC-9700 (with 23cm built-in, not optional), I would expect to see an increase in 23cm activity during 2019 and 2020.
How long the "new toy" novelty lasts for is another thing.

Humans are a strange species.
We feel a need to own material possessions, but not utilise them.

It might be hard to accept, but activity has diminished severely in the last ~ 5 years.
There are many proxy indicators we can observe this.
VK Logger use. KST usage (often weeks go by, and all you see posted are weather reports between a few inactive OMs). Field Day log submissions. Forum usage.
It's an aging community that's moving on, and without any new blood, the decline of "the oldies" is very noticeable.
There comes a time, probably in your late 60's where it becomes too much to be going out portable.

One would have thought that once per month wouldn't be too onerous, especially as a home station though.

Making the event bi-monthly or less frequent will only create confusion, and that would only see a further decline.

It couldn't be classified as "complicated".
There are no rules per se, and the only thing to remember is that there is 23cm activity on the 23rd on the month.
How hard is that?

Incentive?
If there is no incentive to use equipment you may already own, then it's probably time to start selling it off.

Given hams have a habit of "preaching to the converted" (existing VHFers/microwavers), keeping things in a bubble, and don't actually know the meaning of "promotion", it might be worth promoting "23-on-23" on mainstream Facebooks groups. ie; those that are HF orientated, but have a large pool to potentially draw from.

Just as existing microwavers have become tired and bored with what they have been doing for many years, I'm sure there would be HFers out there who are also looking for new challenges.

Any new blood into VHF and microwaves is unlikely to come from outright newbies into the hobby, but from existing hams that have probably only dabbled in HF and possibly 6m.
That's where any new enthusiasm will come from.
Get them interested in operating on the higher bands.

:om:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Following with curiosity as wheneve I see topics to promote and motivate such as the four quarterly field days,
I reflect on past results, failures and experience.
So far w.r.t. 23 cm and my station upgrade to that band at a cost, including purchase of a 910 10 watt rig in Tokyo and the 23cm module and swapping dsp modules from my other 910.
My results are
beacons from VK3 dx and local
beacons from VK5VF and qso on ft8 and ssb with VK5PJ.
beacons from vk7rae.
several qsos with Melbourne newbies but none of the regulars who can operate.
VK5BC and I have made it on 432.
VK5GF and I hoping to on 23.
If you check my logger reports I regularly report 1296 and 432 beacons each morning in the tropo.
VK3RMB, VK3RGI VK3RXX qf12,22,31
VK5VF pf95
VK7RAE qe38

worked pf94, qf12,21.22, 02 less than ten qsos all year.

I work VK3AXH regularly, VK5 occasionally if I find them around.
I am yet to try with VK3VG yet I see him work VK1 daily.
No one has ever asked me to go to 1296 that I can recall.

so with 23 on 23 in VK3
get the dust off you rigs, fix your antenna and stop procrastinating, summer is nigh.

dont be shy
and you experts come down off ten gigs and stop being snobs.

give me a sked and call.
mornings preferred as the 0730-815 window is when you find the morning rush.

16 db grid with 15 watts and mh preamp.

73 zaz
Tread your own path :om:
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

As one of the VK2's pushing microwave activity, its been a hard slog. Personally I've had a hard time with the work/life balance and AR has taken a back seat for quite some time.

I've always had 1296 but there's always been a dearth of VK2's to talk to.

That's now changed.

A number of us in Western Sydney are now on 23cm and, as of a week or so ago, a few more are now on 13cm as well. My 13cm transverter is on the bench 90% built and tested with just a few things to do.

A few of us are working on 13cm transverters and soon we will have 4 of us on 13cm from our QTHs and with outputs between 2 and 80w, a few Spectrians here ;)

That being said, there are plans by most of us to be QRV on both 5 & 10Ghz, 2 people already are on 10Ghz.

Also.... for those who want to test stuff on days other than the 23rd, we have an informal net on 146.450 nearly every night of the week from 7:30pm, except Mondays, where we chat about our kit and run tests.

Most on air testing happens on Tuesday night when most of us are on air.

You don't have to wait until the 23rd to work us - we'll happily pop up on 1296.1 any evening - most of us listen there all the time :)

The group here are mostly in and around QF56 and are..

VK2YOC - John : 23cm and 13cm - higher bands on request.
VK2YAC - Alf : 23cm, 13cm under construction
VK2AZ - Hilary : 23cm and 13cm, 10Ghz by request
VK2TMC - Michael :23cm, other bands under construction
VK2XAX - Tim : 23cm, 13cm under construction

If you want to schedule something, send us a PM or email and we'll endeavour to do something, for those closer... pop up on 146.450. Repeater liaison by request.

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2KCM
Forum Novice

Post by VK2KCM »

Hi Tim,

I'll try and go to Somersby next Tuesday and do some further 23cm testing with you guys. What time do you usually start?

Regards

Colin
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

VK2KCM wrote:Hi Tim,

I'll try and go to Somersby next Tuesday and do some further 23cm testing with you guys. What time do you usually start?
Hi Colin,

We're generally on air at around 7:30pm, I'll let the guys know.

Will you just be on 1296 or will you want to try other bands ?

regards

Tim
--

VK2KCM
Forum Novice

Post by VK2KCM »

Hi Tim,

I only have 23cm atm, if Gary 2KYP comes along he will bring his 13cm transverter.

Regards

Colin
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

VK2KCM wrote:Hi Tim,

I only have 23cm atm, if Gary 2KYP comes along he will bring his 13cm transverter.

Regards

Colin
Beut! - I've teed up the guys to listen for you :)

regards

Tim
--

VK2KYP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2KYP »

Hi, just to confirm polarisation for 2 metre liaison
Vertical or Horizontal?

Thanks Gary vk2kyp
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

VK2KYP wrote:Hi, just to confirm polarisation for 2 metre liaison
Vertical or Horizontal?

Thanks Gary vk2kyp
Hi Gary,

If on 146.450 FM, it is generally vertical but we can do horizontal if you like. We can also go to SSB on some frequency if desired.

Let us know what works for you and we will endeavour to accommodate.

regards

Tim
--

VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Field day results
VK3AXH Ballarat QF12wi 180k
VK3KQ/P field day QF22 200+
VK3MY Melbourne 300k
VK3III QF03 140k
Multiple qsos in the two hour period and points multiplier

IC901 barefoot 15 watts and
hor parabolic ex Pay tv at 75 feet
2 el yagi inside fed with LDF5/50
IC1200 MH preamp
So far heard
VK7RAE VK3RGI VK5VF and worked VK5PJ at 440km
On 1296 less than one year.
On 2M less than 5 since 5A sw off
Current VK3 dx record to ZL1 3000k on 2M will try for 432.
ZL just in today working east coast only
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Last 24 hours tropo everywhere
beacons in
a few guys saunter out at 700am
throw a few rocks
ZL has VK3 VK2 beacons
APRS paket flying every where
stuff all qsos
Once upon a time people ran radios all night to catch dx
now the occasional starters you cannot stir up activity
But curiously bunch guys get out of bed to throw rocks after day on 6 and 2M'wierd
whatever

no use trying to get activity up its NOT gunna happen
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

Hey Steve,

You mentioned above 3000 km on 144 to ZL.

Who did you work?

Thanks

Steve
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

all the cards are on display on qrz.com
ZL1AKW and ZL1IU
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

BEACONS this am 23/1/2019
VK3RGI in QF31IP on 1296.434.000 BCN 519 > @ 417.5km 101°
VK7RAE in QE38DU on 1296.474.000 BCN 519 > @ 530.8km 137°
VK5VF in PF95ia on 1296.450 BCN 539 > @ 425.6km 330
VK3RMB in QF12WI 1296.536000 BCN 599 166.5 87°
VK3RXX in QF22ND 1296.530000 BCN 539 271.1 94°
QSOS
VK3VG in QF23RO on 1296.150.0 SSB 59 > @ 339.7km 65°
VK3BNC in QF12 on 1296.100.0 SSB 55 > @ 161.4km 83°
VK3AXH in QF12WI on 1296.150.0 SSB 59 > @ 164.5km 87°
VK5AKK in PF94IX on 1296.100.0 SSB 55 > @ 423.7km 314°

maybe tonight ?? :popcorn:
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

Steve, we need to wake up Karl VK7HDX... he used to be great on 1296 years ago... }:[
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

VK3BA wrote:Steve, we need to wake up Karl VK7HDX... he used to be great on 1296 years ago... }:[
Karl isn't active on 1296 as far as I know.

We have 15+ stations active on 1296 including myself. Every Sunday at 10am after the broadcast there is a 1296 QSO party involving at first FM only stations around Hobart, then moving to QRA64 pointing north to Launceston, with occasional SSB if the conditions allow.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK7HH wrote:We have 15+ stations active on 1296 including myself. Every Sunday at 10am after the broadcast there is a 1296 QSO party involving at first FM only stations around Hobart, then moving to QRA64 pointing north to Launceston, with occasional SSB if the conditions allow.
Ahhh.
Which explains why, in 5 years, VK7 has never embraced the 23-on-23 activity events.
I wonder what the VK3 and VK5's excuse/reason is?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/