Help!!...NBN Interference

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Re: Help!!...NBN Interference

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi,
I have had a wireless internet system fitted for a few years. Whilst not NBN it is still power over ethernet. One thing I have found that reduced the interference was wrapping about 20 turns the ethernet cable around an FT240 type 43 core. This was done at the power supply and a few spots along the cable.
allan
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Steen,
well today I had cause to take the portable AM radio outside the house as I had noticed my clock radio in my room was awash with the hash you described and also documented in the video you made.

Turned on my little portable and walked towards the shed where the NBN is mounted and was astounded how strong the hash was on the MW band. Looks like I have to eat my words about not having any noise here. Yet I notice nothing on the rigs in the shack on HF or on 160M so unsure why that is. Just did a check with the rig in the shack and the noise is there in odd spots above the MW band, just did not notice it before.

Oh well time to dig up some phone numbers for the NBN and see how many hoops they make me jump through to fix it... trouble is my neighbour now has the same system and will have to convince them to get theirs fixed.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

I have also complained, got through provider complaints and in theory NBN now have it logged as a 'Service Fault' and will contact me in their own good time.........ie not yet. :cry:

Paul
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Paul,
did you complain to your ISP about it (provider complaints) or via another avenue?
VK3IH wrote:I have also complained, got through provider complaints and in theory NBN now have it logged as a 'Service Fault' and will contact me in their own good time.........ie not yet. :cry:
Paul
not heard a peep back from NBN so guess I should lodge it via ACMA to make it a legit complaint, maybe then the wheels might turn.

Peter.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Does anyone have any experience with Nuskope or Uniti wireless in Adelaide and is it known to cause any interference to HF?
Theo
VK5IR
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

VK5PJ wrote:Paul,
did you complain to your ISP about it (provider complaints) or via another avenue?
VK3IH wrote:I have also complained, got through provider complaints and in theory NBN now have it logged as a 'Service Fault' and will contact me in their own good time.........ie not yet. :cry:
Paul
not heard a peep back from NBN so guess I should lodge it via ACMA to make it a legit complaint, maybe then the wheels might turn.

Peter.
I tried NBN they said I had to do it through my provider, I did, they did call back with questions from the NBN, have you isolated it to the device type stuff.... They claim its now a service fault with NBN but nothing yet from them..... By the questions they new the issue well.

Paul
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

Okay update:

NBN appointed technician for 'insurance' jobs came and installed the new ODU on the roof that was second hand but had spent some time in the Erikson engineering section.

He did this after confirming that it was the ODU and not the SM power supply WIFI etc.

It has improved the situation so that you can now RX 774 and 621 kHz ABC stations inside the house, it has not though completely fixed the MW interference which is now in narrow bands rather than broad spectrum. No sign of it in the shack which is 40m away.

Apparently I am one of only 2 such complaints in Gippsland? Maybe those further west listen to FM on VHF ABC translators?

Tech reported the partial fix so we will see if they pursue it further. Point is there should be no interference so next step maybe recabelling the CAT5 twisted pair line,

Yours satisfied, but not completely satisfied...

VK3IH
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Well,
a few weeks ago I lodged my complaint with my ISP much to the dis belief of the service desk person BUT one I had given them the URL at the WIA and Steen's blog and gave them time to read the information they changed their attitude and took me seriously. Not heard a peep back from them as yet so must remember to ring them tomorrow (10th May)

Thanks to all who have contributed, mine is a work in progress..

Peter.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

update from here, no action from ISP (filed in too hard basket) but called them again yesterday for a restart on actioning the report (not hoping for too much though). Asked the support person if it would help to tell him my ODU was on fire :D

Lodged fault report with NBN via their web contacts form, told in no uncertain terms via email to call my RISP (Retail Internet Service Provider) and not bother them with such queries, then they stopped answering my queries so they are a mob of pr!cks to deal with.

ACMA said, well its not really our problem as you have already diagnosed the fault, so it is up to NBN to fix.

My question is HOW to did others get NBN to fix the noise from their fixed wireless install?

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

I wonder if it is something the telecomunications ombudsman would have power over?

Maybe stop paying the bill.........
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK5ZLR wrote:I wonder if it is something the telecommunications ombudsman would have power over?
Yes. They have the power to make the ISP engage with the customer and come to an arrangement. They make no assessment of the situation other than gathering the facts and distilling exactly what the customer wants. The ISP has 14 days to respond and the T.O. will keep following up with the customer to ensure progress is being made.

Unfortunately the T.O. cannot compel the ISP to put a given solution in place within a reasonable time frame but I know from experience that the result is better than trying to fight solo.
VK5ZLR wrote:Maybe stop paying the bill.........
It would depend if there were other ISPs in the area that could offer Peter something different but then he'd have to forego contacting the T.O. until they failed to assist him.

Pedro, I'd call the T.O. and state your case. At the very least you'll get another chance to work it out with your ISP and just maybe you'll get a better result.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Lou / Richard,
VK3ALB wrote:Pedro, I'd call the T.O. and state your case. At the very least you'll get another chance to work it out with your ISP and just maybe you'll get a better result.
The ISP sent me a satisfaction questionaire within minutes of finishing the phone call (where the outcome was not resolved) so I will wait until Monday then send in the questionaire results and see if that pricks their conscience and will be sure to mention the T.O as my alternative.

Richard, I have a feeling the billing department and the support department do not speak so if I stop paying, they will just cut me off and it does not improve my case for a resolution. As the ISP see's it there is no fault with my service that THEY provide, it is the underlying NBN hardware that is at fault, which in the long run has no impact on my throughput or service availability so my query does not fall into one of their categories for a fault.

The odd thing is due to Steen's work (see links earlier in the thread) I know how to fix it in general terms but as I said the ISP representitve if I fix it the NBN people will determine any future faults to be caused by me due to "fiddling by the end user" which is not good for me in the long term.

Regards,
Peter
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

I wouldn't mention the T.O. to your ISP.

2 reasons
- the support person you talk with on the phone couldn't care less about the T.O. (they hear it all the time) and it only gets their backs up.
- there is a specific contact person at the ISP that deals with T.O. complaints, the T.O. should give you their contact details when you call them.

Been there, done that.
VK5AWP
Forum Novice

Post by VK5AWP »

Does anyone know where I can buy a connector to plug into the fixed wireless NTU so I can run the whole system on
12vdc, This appears to be a 10 or 12 pin connector with 2 pins used for 12v dc from the plug pack.

Regards
Peter VK5AWP
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Peter,
VK5AWP wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy a connector to plug into the fixed wireless NTU so I can run the whole system on
12vdc, This appears to be a 10 or 12 pin connector with 2 pins used for 12v dc from the plug pack.
Regards
Peter VK5AWP
I have cut the lead to my plug pack and inserted a 2 pin Molex plug and socket in the lead (so I can return it to near standard) but now have the NTU running from a linear DC powersupply (with a matching Molex connector to the original plug pack). Be warned it wants a farily big inrush current at startup before is stabliases back to its normal current.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

update: Aug 2016

ISP has asked that I do some tests that NBN have requested, with my AM radio turned on and a reasonable distance from the NBN equipment:

Remove the ethernet lead between my router and the NBN's NTU (Network Terminating Unit) and report any change in interference level.
Result: no change to interfering noise in the AM radio

Remove the ethernet lead between the NBN's NTU (Network Terminating Unit) and the NBN ODU (Out Door Unit) then report any change in interference level.
Result: interfering noise is completely gone in the AM radio.

I was lucky to strike a sympathetic support person on my fourth call to my ISP, I explained that is wipes out all AM radio reception and we are in a fire prown area and need the AM radio to work clearly to be able to hear fire reports on our local ABC am stations. She marked the job as a HIGH priority due to it masking fire risk broadcasts.

All I can hope for now is that the NBN actually do something.

Peter