Spectacular lightning wiped out all broadcast radio. Why?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Spectacular lightning wiped out all broadcast radio. Why?

Post by VK7ZA »

I've got a bit of a mystery that I'd love someone to explain what was happening.

Driving home late last night, the mother of all storms was in progress. Both hands gripped to the steering wheel to keep the Prado from being blown off the road, mellowing to Triple-J on the radio.

There was no lighting that I noticed, until an almighty light turned the whole sky a brilliant turquoise colour, but with a difference in that the sky remained lit up for a good half to 1 second. At the same moment, the radio went to static. Trying other preset stations, there was nothing coming through at all. Over the space of the next thirty seconds or so, the stations started coming back on air. With Triple-J being the last. Within five or so seconds after the sky light, the street lights also went off.

Other things that may help. While there was still no broadcast radio reception, I was able to key up VK7RTC which at the top of Mt Wellington, broadcasts from the same location as JJJ.

Doing some research on the web today shows that the light could have been caused by a lightning strike hitting power equipment causing a secondary arc.
It is not uncommon for lightning to strike electrical power equipment (power lines, transformers, etc.). When this happens, many times the lightning will cause a secondary arc. These arcs are usually referred to as power flashes. These power flashes are extremely bright and can easily light up the night sky. They can flicker like lightning, or glow for a second or two before the circuit breakers trip and turn off power to the line (see video clip below).
http://stormhighway.com/blue_green_glow_lightning.php

So this sounds about right to what I probably saw. What I don't understand is how that wiped out the broadcast band reception of my radio. Note I only tested FM, not AM.

Any ideas?

Lance
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Spectacular lightning wiped out all broadcast radio. Wh

Post by VK3RX »

Not knowing the disposition of the radio stations down there, but it sounds to me like they may all be at the same location or close by.

Maybe first, the strike took them all off air and at the same time tripped the mains. Then the station generators would have started up after around 30 seconds, and the stations reset themselves and returned to air.

I had a similar experience once while driving home from Launceston to Lilydale listening to (I think) 7LA. Passing the transmitter site I saw an almighty flash and strike to their antenna, station went of air for about 30 seconds then came back but not at the same strength. I didn't bother to check other stations though.

You folk down in VK7 don't seem to have many thunderstorms, but when you do :shock:
Damien VK3RX
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

Interesting idea. Thanks Damien.

Yes, we rarely get any sort of thunder and lighting down here, certainly not compared to what was common place in Qld! Most times, like this one, it was a one off, not part of a thunderstorm per se.

Lance
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Over the years have heard the local AM ABC transmitters go off air for a short period of time and then come back to operation. As already mentioned either generators cut in due to mains failure or overload protection circuits trip and reset.

Certainly would not want to be hanging around radio towers and the like during a large storm. Apart from a direct strike there can be secondary flash overs from towers onto nearby objects/structures.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Aw come on... where's your sense of fun! Nothing quite like all your hair standing up... happened to me years ago at Ben Lomond Trig in northern NSW... direct hit to the tower while I was in the hut. At least I witnessed the lightning protection do its job.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

VK2AAH wrote:Aw come on... where's your sense of fun! Nothing quite like all your hair standing up... happened to me years ago at Ben Lomond Trig in northern NSW... direct hit to the tower while I was in the hut. At least I witnessed the lightning protection do its job.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Oh yeah... nothin quite like being next to a lightning hit, I live on top of Mt.Dandenong, I've had three hits on the tower since living here, I was at home for two of them, and yes those expensive little Polyphaser protection gizmos are a good investment, pity about all the other stuff in the house that gets blown up.

- David - VK3KCX
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

If not caused by power failure some broadcast transmitters might see a high SWR from nearby lightning causing the TX to turn off or lower its power, then return back to normal after a period of time.
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

One site tech related a story to me, he opened up the door to the radio hut to find a whole lot of bits of bakelite embedded into the wall. A lightning bolt hit a row of old style telephone terminal boards and shattered the lot.

In his opinion anyone who would have been in the hut at the time would have been either killed or blinded at least.

Have seen molten copper earthing straps unfortunately no photos which have encouraged me to stay away from towers etc during a storm.