Catalyst about Mobile Telephones

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Re: Catalyst about Mobile Telephones

Post by VK4REX »

I didn't know Doug (VK3UM) personally but we had quite a few discussions about RF radiation in recent times. I passed onto him my observations about working in a high RF environment and he said he had observed the same issue. I trained and worked in DCA (Department of Civil Aviation) where we had high power VHF transmitters running 400 watts PEP or 800watts PEP and multiple HF transmitters running 20KW+ (At Llandilo in Penrith over 500Kw all Transmitters key down). Virtually every tech that worked at these sites only had girls as offspring, I surveyed 100+ and only 1 had a male). Doug mentioned the same issue in the industry he worked in at Radio Australia.

There was also a report many years ago from the UK police covering a high incident of eye cataracts on Officers. The eye affected was always the eye on the side where they clipped their public safety microphone. (A mic with the antenna on top of the mic - hence being close to the eye).

Whether there is anything in this I don't know but I am sure caution is the better approach.

Rex
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

I take it this way.

Within 1 M of a WiFi router. never going to be a issue

Within 1 M of a 200kW UHF digital TV transmitter antenna for extended periods, going to be a issue.

Somewhere in-between is the crossover.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
well I work in a large school and the trend is to flood classrooms with WiFi access points to get capacity and coverage. It would seem we are now exposing our youngest members of the human race to this soup of RF for long periods Monday to Friday. Unlike a phone, wireless access points runs at full power 24/7 and the standard practice is to put them on the ceiling so everything gets an even coating of RF. I have made sure that these devices are well away from my work area.

The one item I did take away from the TV program is that like other cancer type events we do not see any of the effects in the short term and have to wait for over 10 years to see the effects of our actions.

Peter.
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

when companies like

http://www.emraustralia.com.au/ start spruking the "wonderful Catalyst story", and selling off the event, you know its a scare campaign

the above company will happily paint your house in RF shielded paint and remove you from this dangerous radio smog for give or take a 6 digit number..

as the little kid from ABC's "the checkout said...

Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

This is from a post I made on whirlpool about 10 years ago. It was in reference to unwired modems running on 3.5GHz.
But I took it a bit further with the radiation survey and measured a few other things.
The mobile phone was GSM, these days 3G and 4G use much less power.

The standard that I work to is 2.00mW/cm² maximum exposure to RF workers and
0.20mW/cm² maximum to everybody else.
The Australian standards are slightly higher.

Results from Radiation tests I have done

Wabbit, Frequency= ~3550MHz
0.10mW/cm² is the average radiated power that I get out of my wabbit, when and if it transmits.
I have captured peaks as high as 0.6mW/cm² but only for very short bursts, usually at the start of file xfers.
This is measured right next to the modem. 50cm away there is <0.001mW/cm² or no signal that I can measure.

GSM Mobile Phone, Frequency= ~900MHz
0.04mW/cm² Mobile phone front side (in good signal area)
0.12mW/cm² Rear side where the antenna is (in good signal area)
0.10mW/cm² Mobile phone front side (in low signal area)
0.25mW/cm² Rear side (in low signal area)

Microwave Ovens, Frequency= ~2450MHz
0.10mW/cm² around the door seams on some microwave ovens
0.20mW/cm² was the worse case that I found on one microwave oven around the seam
0.40mW/cm² worst case (peak - not constant) on the same microwave in one spot near the door handle.

Other stuff -
0.00mW/cm² for computer monitors and CRT TV's.
0.30mW/cm² For a security door RF access tag system reader
0.00mW/cm² for a toilet and is also zero when it is flushed !

Standing on the street below a mobile phone tower, radiation level measured is 0.00mW/cm² (the meter can pick up a signal as low as 0.001mW/cm²)
Mobile phone towers really are completely harmless, unless one falls on you ! I think the toilet emits more things that the towers !

There is one known method of protecting yourself from the evils of low levels of EMR.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

the above company will happily paint your house in RF shielded paint and remove you from this dangerous radio smog
Presumably the same paint will keep the RF smog IN the house. If so I will encourage my neighbors to get their house painted, not to protect them from my radiation, but to protect me from the radiation from their LED lights, plasma TV, and various Chinese devices.
0.00mW/cm² for a toilet and is also zero when it is flushed !
Trash, did you do the flushing experiment with the seat up and down? My XYL says that there are dangerous consequences if the seat is left up. :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TU
Forum Novice

Post by VK4TU »

Some good discussions about the science can be found here - https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/author/ltrottier/ It's a good site to check out on all sorts of controversial medical issues, curated by a neurologist at Yale University School of Medicine.
Joe
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

[quote="VK4WDM"

Trash, did you do the flushing experiment with the seat up and down? My XYL says that there are dangerous consequences if the seat is left up. :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM"

The answer is Wayne each have your own facilities , we do and it's great not fighting through the clutter women throw on all surface from the makeup bag
B