160m resonator kit for Butternut HF9V

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

160m resonator kit for Butternut HF9V

Post by VK4WDM »

I want to add 160m to my Butternut HF9V. There is a resonator kit available from Dx Engineering (TBR-160S) but it is expensive so I am thinking about building one myself. I can count the number of turns on the coil and get a good idea of the size from a photograph but I need to know the value of the "doorknob" capacitor.

http://www.radio2way.net/%5Cantennas%5CTBR160-S.pdf

Does anybody have one of these kits installed and can read the value for me? I would also be interested in hearing about one of the kits being available for sale.

I know that the efficiency won't be very good and the ban width narrow, but the old adage applies - any antenna you have is better than no antenna at all. :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Re: 160m resonator kit for Butternut HF9V

Post by VK1JA »

Hi Wayne,

I wonder if this design could be adopted for a Hustler 6BTV - I presume the HF9V and 6BTV are loaded 1/4 waves on 80m?

If so, this interests me :)
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi Wayne,

A thought... what is the recomended spare parts for the 160m kit?

Allan
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Good thought Allan! I will email DX Engineering and ask.

Would it work for a Hustler. Don't know, but here is a big different between the two. Hustlers are trapped. There are no traps on the Butternut. Each band except for 15 and 6m has a coil and capacitor resonator the same as for 160m.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Wayne,

Hope they don't check the site, however... dream up a good story. "rebuilding the antenna for a good mate and some parts are missing" :D

Allan
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I know that the efficiency won't be very good and the ban width narrow, but the old adage applies - any antenna you have is better than no antenna at all.
I once had a HF6V with the 160m resonator, and yes while the efficiency wasn't flash (probably equivalent to using a 19" whip on 10m), from the lower VK3 I worked the adjacent states and into VK4 (Don VK4NN was one I recall) on SSB during the evenings.

Mine was mounted on a corner of the house's corrugated iron roof, bonded to it and about 10 radials.
Damien VK3RX
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Even without the resonator mine hears quite well on 160m and I can copy stations in the lower states from here in Townsville. That is why I want to get it transmitting. Its frustrating hearing a CQ from VK3 and not being able to reply. That was on SSB. I must try it on JT65.

Wayne VK4WDM.