No more repeaters

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

No more repeaters

Post by VK3ALB »

Recently Adam flagged the demise of the repeater database on VKlogger.

Do you care?

It's not that hard to key up a repeater and check that it's operational then make a quick update in the repeater database. In fact all you have to do is click the "submit update" button - no need to type anything unless you have new information to add. Some use the repeaters as an early indication of some enhanced conditions - that's why you see repeater spots occasionally. I'm pretty sure details of the repeaters are pulled from the database when you make a spot.
A quick check show somes states pay more attention to the database than others - I hear there is a great repeater network in VK2 and VK6 but you wouldn't know it from looking at the vklogger database.

So, Adam has hinted at a change and he always follows through. No point whining about "There goes Adam again", the database will go at some stage and we'll hear Adam talking of old farts and apathy once more.

Over to you or is it back to you - I never get that right.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

Re: No more repeaters

Post by ZL3MH »

In New Zealand we have something even better it is called the National
Link. It,s a UHF repeater linked system from Northland to Gore.

All the best ZL3MH
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3ALB wrote:Recently Adam flagged the demise of the repeater database on VKlogger.

Do you care?

It's not that hard to key up a repeater and check that it's operational then make a quick update in the repeater database. In fact all you have to do is click the "submit update" button - no need to type anything unless you have new information to add. Some use the repeaters as an early indication of some enhanced conditions - that's why you see repeater spots occasionally. I'm pretty sure details of the repeaters are pulled from the database when you make a spot.
A quick check show somes states pay more attention to the database than others - I hear there is a great repeater network in VK2 and VK6 but you wouldn't know it from looking at the vklogger database.

So, Adam has hinted at a change and he always follows through. No point whining about "There goes Adam again", the database will go at some stage and we'll hear Adam talking of old farts and apathy once more.

Everytime I get tropo DX I post repeater spots and get canned.
THE WIA HAS FULL GLOSS 2016 CALLBOOK and it is uptodate
WHy is it Adams role?
and FWIW out here doing about 1300km last week the ONLY active repeaters are in VK5 SE
VK3RWM ARAPILES no contacts VK3RWZ OFF AIR UFN
HORSHAM DTV ????
I drive APRS and don't get pinged until at Pimpinio despite APRS showing stations in PIMP and DIMBOOLA
tried to support APRS by setting up digi up as fill in, three stations in a month..
I am about to donate two complete UHF links to SA SERG for their wonderful linked system at MTG KIngston Bordertown, Naracoorte.
The you get the mystery repeater at PORTLAND IRLP but broadcasting WIA but you cant communicate with it.
I would hate to have a road accident or come upon one and proclaim that I saved a life by calling for an emergency response on a repeater :popcorn:
I am over repeaters...take up space and WIA lic money for little useage. :om:
Tread your own path :om:
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

VK3ALB wrote:Recently Adam flagged the demise of the repeater database on VKlogger.

Do you care?

Well yes I do care- and thanks Lou for highlighting this.

Access to a current and peer-reviewed data-base of repeaters and beacons is a valuable resource for us all, especially those of us interested in weak signals and propagation modes, and of course for visitors and those who travel around a lot. Yes the same information is available from other printed sources.

I value this resource and would prefer it remained available via the logger

To that aim I have just updated and re-confirmed the entries for all four repeaters that my own group in Redcliffe,SE Qld, are responsible. it took me ten minutes.
If one person in each repeater area did the same then the database would continue to have some meaning and might remain for the benefit of everyone else.

The "use" of repeaters is another subject entirely, in my view, but each and every system has required considerable effort and investment, usually by the few, for the benefit of the many.

Over to you!

KJ
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

It would seem interest in repeaters has waned over the years. Three 2 metre repeaters which were accessible from my home qth of Bathurst have disappeared and further west into the hinterland am aware of another that is gone.

Not much incentive to go out and upgrade your 2 metre gear if nothing else.

No one to talk to.
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Before repeaters, VHF operators built beams. Some of us still do. The WIA seems to still think that VHF is only line of sight. I routinely work VK3EJ in Cobram from my hole in the ground in Warragul using SSB without enhanced conditions. Distance is 250 Km.
Most of the repeaters around the country just sit there going kerchunk occasionally as someone keys them up. The ones around Mt. Gambier seem to be the only ones used a bit. In general they now seem to be a waste of resources.
David
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Yes remember the days when VHF hunting with yagis and collinear arrays, 300 ohm tv ribbon feeders etc was an interesting challenge and a lot of fun. Still its a pity the Boona Mtn repeater near Condobolin in the Central West is not going as it would be a good one to crack from Bathurst.

Would inspire me to build a yagi.

Given the effort, money and site access paperwork there is not much interest now in establishing new repeaters, at least in my local area.

A year of so ago tried to get some of the local hams in town interested in a informal simplex network on 146.5 just for local chatter. While we could all work each other quite well with handhelds and modest verticals nothing came of the project in the end.

Some fellows had to actually go and find their 2 metre gear and charge batteries up after having been unused for years of neglect.

Seems most on air activity takes place on the H.F bands.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

When I downloaded an APP for my Android phone to help me find repeaters while travelling some years ago, I found the author (in the UK I think from memory) had taken generic information from the WIA repeater list and tried to place them by this list (not a good source of accurate information at that time) so when I approached the author about this he simply said, do you know where I can get better information?

So after a few minutes of thinking I turned to VKLOGGER's repeater database and bit by bit built him up a list of all the VK repeaters, the grid square and tone requirements. When he asked where all this helpful info came from I explained it was peer updated by operators that use the repeaters so it should reflect reality. He was so happy he used it to update his Android APP and now I can see the repeaters are actually the right distance away from where I am at the time. I used this app again on the week end while traveling to help me be on the right frequency at the right time.

Remove the repeater database? Why, it is the only resource I know of in VK for information I can trust when it comes to repeaters.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

I'm a regular user of the repeater data base, it has become even more valuable now as several repeaters require tone access and the most up to date data is the repeater data base associated with VKLogger. Also now some repeaters are being upgraded to Yaesu's new repeaters with C4FM (digital) and this is creating activity on these new repeaters, at least in VK5 and we will probably know which repeaters support this new mode new category sooner on the logger data base than anywhere else.

As Peter VK5PJ says;
Remove the repeater database? Why, it is the only resource I know of in VK for information I can trust when it comes to repeaters.

73's Brian
VK5BC
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

The WIA seems to still think that VHF is only line of sight.
What caused that barb??

I only use the WIA info. Theirs and whatever info is on this site is only as good as people keeping it up to date. The WIA set has continuous updates i.e. as information comes in their monthly summary is updated.

http://www.wia.org.au/members/repeaters/data/

One would hope that the anti-WIA bias held by some isn't preventing them from notifying updates to the WIA database of repeater and beacon information, particularly from those responsible for the device.

Independent databases for anything has never made any sense to me. If more information is desired in the WIA listing (e.g. lat/longs, grid square etc.), if its provided to them they'll probably incorporate it.
Damien VK3RX
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi Damien

[quote]I only use the WIA info. Theirs and whatever info is on this site is only as good as people keeping it up to date. The WIA set has continuous updates i.e. as information comes in their monthly summary is updated.
/quote]

I am a member of the WIA and I'm certainly not anti WIA but I thought the concept of VKLogger was to have all information required for VK/ZL DXing in the one place saving you having to go chasing info from different sources. The other concept of VKLogger was that it updated info on beacons/repeater etc as they are spotted on the logger hence was always up to date with the latest info. Of course if operators don't spot them there is no update but if you have info they needs to be updated or included in the data can always go into the beacon/repeater data and manually update info.

73's brian
VK5BC
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

VK3RX wrote:
The WIA seems to still think that VHF is only line of sight.
What caused that barb??

I only use the WIA info. Theirs and whatever info is on this site is only as good as people keeping it up to date. The WIA set has continuous updates i.e. as information comes in their monthly summary is updated.

http://www.wia.org.au/members/repeaters/data/

One would hope that the anti-WIA bias held by some isn't preventing them from notifying updates to the WIA database of repeater and beacon information, particularly from those responsible for the device.

Independent databases for anything has never made any sense to me. If more information is desired in the WIA listing (e.g. lat/longs, grid square etc.), if its provided to them they'll probably incorporate it.
Just had a quick look at the WIA 2 metre repeater list and noted the following repeaters which are marked O for operating which are not on air.

Mt Canobolas/Orange VK2RAO

Boona Mountain/CondobolinVK2RRT

Bald Mountain/Rystone VK2RYL

Stringybark Hill/Bathurst VK2RLH

Rather surprised these are listed as to my knowledge some have been off air/dismantled for some years.

Surely those whom were maintaining these repeaters would have advised the WIA when their repeater was no longer functioning.

The listing provided by VKLOGGER seems to be more accurate as to what is actually on air.

Quite useful.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2AOH wrote:
Just had a quick look at the WIA 2 metre repeater list and noted the following repeaters which are marked O for operating which are not on air.

Mt Canobolas/Orange VK2RAO

Boona Mountain/CondobolinVK2RRT

Bald Mountain/Rystone VK2RYL

Stringybark Hill/Bathurst VK2RLH

Rather surprised these are listed as to my knowledge some have been off air/dismantled for some years.

Surely those whom were maintaining these repeaters would have advised the WIA when their repeater was no longer functioning.

The listing provided by VKLOGGER seems to be more accurate as to what is actually on air.

Quite useful.
Therein lies the problem.

Surely in this modern age of computers it should be possible to . . . . . You know how that sentence finishes.

Here are the important points about the VKlogger repeater database.

Point 1

What VKlogger does is allow almost immediate updates to the repeater list (with the exception of additions and removal of repeaters by Adam) by any one of us. Specifically, if I know that my local repeater will be down for some time due to a tower collapse (don't ask) I can make a quick note in the VKlogger database immediately and everyone will know about it (should they care to look).

Point 2

The spots in VKlogger take their input from the VKlogger database not the WIA/ACMA. Without the database it would still be possible to spot a repeater but it would be a little cumbersome, especially trying to work out it's geographical location. Yes you could do that from the ACMA/WIA data but it's not a trivial matter and takes more than a mouse click.

Point 3

The bigger picture. VKlogger along with it's repeater, beacon and user database are combined into a tool that give all of us an opportunity to easily build a permanent record of the conditions on the VHF/UHF bands over a long period of time. It doesn't take much effort to make a spot on VKlogger and believe it or not some people use this data for research purposes. Something that would not be possible if we all kept our logs in exercise books in our shack.

I don't know how hard it is to get the data from the WIA/ACMA database and present in a way that is as easy to see as the VKlogger repeater/Beacon/User database - well I do a little and it's not trivial.

I don't know why the ACMA/WIA info regarding the repeaters doesn't show that the repeaters mentioned by VK2AOH are off the air but I'm pretty sure it will be because no one told them.

I know the current keeper of the WIA repeater list has sent letters to all clubs asking them to check their local repeaters and submit changes should they be required. Presumably some haven't got around to it. He's pretty good at updating the list - so why are the repeaters still showing as operational?

Regardless, this thread isn't about other methods of storing data or indeed why we have repeaters at all but it is about keeping the VKlogger data up to date - it's not that hard to do.

Saying you don't need or care about this database because it doesn't affect you directly is no different to the wife telling her husband to get that crap out of the shed because she doesn't know what it is or has no use for it.

It's our hobby and it has many facets we don't partake in all of them but it seems to me we should appreciate the effort that some people go to for all of us. So if you think it's worth while then give a hand or show some support. If you don't see the point then better to let it go through to the keeper and wait for a time where you feel strongly about a topic - let's hope someone is willing to back you on your point of view.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2AZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AZ »

I went through the 23 repeaters I can hear in Sydney and spotted them all so that the repeater database updated the active field.

If you spot a repeater on 2m while on the 6m spot/chat screen, it won't appear on the 2m spot/chat list and you won't annoy anyone, but the repeater list will update.

If you have a few minutes to do this with the repeaters you can hear, we would then have a great system.

How do I add a new repeater?

Hilary
VK2IUW
Hilary - VK2AZ
Glenmore Park NSW
QF56IF31
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2IUW wrote:
How do I add a new repeater?

Hilary
VK2IUW
You send the repeater details to Adam.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

I have updated a couple that I know to be inactive, apart from those don't know of any others. Things are pretty quiet on the repeater front out this way.
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK2AOH wrote:I have updated a couple that I know to be inactive, apart from those don't know of any others. Things are pretty quiet on the repeater front out this way.
I also updated repeater information for anything out my way but it seems a few have gone offline or is suffering interference.