SDRPlay RSP

VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

SDRPlay RSP

Post by VK2DUX »

I came across this 12 bit SDR receiver that does LF to 2Ghz. Has anyone had a play with one of these units, if so comments appreciated?

de john vk2dux
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: SDRPlay RSP

Post by VK4GHZ »

A link to what you are referring to, please?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

I'm guessing one of these http://www.sdrplay.com/
(Found with a Google search for "12 bit SDR receiver 2ghz").
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2BJP

Post by VK2BJP »

G'day John,
I have an SDRPlay, I run it with SDR Console software , http://www.sdr-radio.com written by Simon Brown the bloke who wrote Ham Radio Deluxe its freeware, "in my opinion" the best sdr software available.
The RSP/SDR Console combination covers the entire band allocation, eg 40 meters, so you can see everyone who's on the band via the waterfall, just click on the trace and the station is tuned in, if I want to work a station I use an antenna switch to change over to my main rig.
The RSP has exceeded my expectations and I cant imagine going back to tuning across the band to find stations. Strictly Ham is a reseller, check out his website.
Absolutely great piece of equipment, I coulnt reccommend it highly enough.
Cheers Russ
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DUX »

Thanks Russ,
It does seem to be just what I am looking for. My main rig is a little alnico sr8. Great on the tx side but wanting on the rx side. I have even looked into the possibility of purchasing a low power Anan or Elad unit. I have spoken to owners of both units and while they rave about how well their rigs hear signals, the ability to qso is hampered by low power output. Currently 100 watt tx capable SDR's are out of my price range. Hence my quandary. I take it you do need to turn the SDRPlay off when transmitting with your main rig to eliminate the likelihood of RFI overload in the SDRPlay. Surely the antenna switch isolation is not enough to protect the SDRPlay from RFI?

de john vk2dux
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK2DUX wrote:Surely the antenna switch isolation is not enough to protect the SDRPlay from RFI?
It's good enough inside your average Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood transceiver plus variuos masthead preamps, etc. so why not here?
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DUX »

to vk5zd

Strange I thought this thread was about the SDRPlay? But you may know my intentions better than myself!

de john vk2dux
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Russ,
What versions of Windows can be used with SDRPlay?

73 Nev
VK2BJP

Post by VK2BJP »

G'day Nev,
I'm running Win10, I also run it on a laptop running Win7, there is a a driver install procedure but it is painless http://www.sdrplay.com/windows.html.

Cheers Russ
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Thanks Russ,
The laptop I use for ham use is running XP, so I would probably have to upgrade. :roll: :roll:
SDR is an intrigueing technique.

73 Nev
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK2DUX wrote:to vk5zd
Strange I thought this thread was about the SDRPlay? But you may know my intentions better than myself!
de john vk2dux
Apologies if I misunderstood your intention. I assumed you were considering using your Alinco for transmitting and the SDRPlay for receiving with a coaxial relay to switch the antenna between the two and I was just making the observation that these changeover relays probably have sufficient isolation.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK3LU wrote:The laptop I use for ham use is running XP, so I would probably have to upgrade. :roll: :roll:
Dunno if you'd call Win10 an upgrade..

Linux Mint for me these days (although it carries a fairly decent learning curve)

SDRPlay looks like a great receiver
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Personally I prefer antix (mepis derivitive) , runs nice virtual machines like this windows machines
some excellent free soft ware out there now for most everything we need to do and once learned productivity and security increase in many environments
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

OK, a question from a technically-challenged semi-geriatric.

I have an $18 "dongle" that I have tried to set up as a wide band scanner using "SDR sharp" but the procedure, is to me at least, complex and I have not been successful in getting it going properly.

I take it that this device is truly "plug and play" and does not need any other software or accessories (other than a laptop) to be usable? Does it receive CW, AM, SSB, and narrow and wide FM? Can it be used with digital modes? XYL wants to know whether it can used as a TV receiver? I have told her that if I buy it it can even give her breakfast in bed :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Wayne,

The RTLSDR dongles are designed as DVB-T receivers. If you use the included driver and software, that's exactly what you'll get.

The SDR functionality was discovered by some reverse engineering and subsequently a different driver was developed to use the SDR functionality. There are plenty of guides online for how to get up and running, you will need to replace the default driver with the Zadig one. This is all documented: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Geoff

I probably missed the bit about the alternative driver when setting up the dongle. I will have another go.

The SDRPlay receiver does look good to me because of it's wide coverage. I have an interest in propagation between 200-400 MHz and in the LF aviation navigation band (yep, need to hurry many of those stns are going off air).

Wayne VK4WDM