SMPS On Steroids

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

SMPS On Steroids

Post by VK5ZD »

I came across this gadget on eBay and, since it's only $3.50, decided to buy one just to see what it would do.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131622594391
They claim 400kv output and, after powering it up (5v, ~3.5A), I'm inclined to agree. These things are insane. :shock:

Whether or not I can find anything useful to do with it remains to be seen.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: SMPS On Steroids

Post by VK5ZLR »

Endless scope for practical jokes....?????
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

400kV!!! I would have thought something that small would disintegrate with 400kV nearby....

Some of these Chinese descriptions pay little heed to getting the units of measure right.

I have a battery pack supposedly capable of 50,000 mAH That's 50 amp/hours for something not much bigger than a mobile phone.
I don't think so!! Electric car makers would be beating a path to their door..............

I have a similar looking device capable of hundreds of volts output.
It's purpose is to supply the many hundreds of volts needed by a photomultiplier tube (which I also have).
Destined for use in my blue light cloudbounce experiment....Project number 348 on a growing list!

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

Be careful with the arc-gap spacing...the module WILL die if the device cannot spark,
so better a narrow spark-gap than broad. Short-circuit output doesn't kill them.

They will also fail in extended service - 30 seconds can kill them as the guts is potted
in epoxy or similar and internal device heat has nowhere to go.

The device will either (fail mode 1) 'go weak' or (fail mode 2) go to zero output.

Quite noisy sparks, a bit of fun...and much ozone !...and yes I have broken two such devices. :D

Bill VK5ACY
Bowhill PF95sb
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK5ACY wrote:Be careful with the arc-gap spacing...the module WILL die if the device cannot spark,
so better a narrow spark-gap than broad. Short-circuit output doesn't kill them.
They will also fail in extended service - 30 seconds can kill them as the guts is potted
in epoxy or similar and internal device heat has nowhere to go.
The device will either (fail mode 1) 'go weak' or (fail mode 2) go to zero output.
Quite noisy sparks, a bit of fun...and much ozone !...and yes I have broken two such devices. :D
One of mine just failed; zero output. Still got one left.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

Here is a nice project idea if you are looking for inspiration:

http://hackaday.com/2016/01/26/its-a-bi ... ore-187639

Wayne
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi all

I guess one use is to make your own taser... that would seem to be a possible end use for these devices.

I notice that you can also buy the 1000kV (a million volts!!) version for a bit more money...hmmmmm

You may have a few legal problems carting around a home-made taser!

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

I like the EPROM man :beer:

I've seen a 1,000,000v arc once many years ago and it was quite impressive (London science museum).
Given that these gadgets only produce a 2cm arc I'd say the output is probably closer to 50kv.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD