Windows 10 and digimode programs

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK3LU

Re: Windows 10 and digimode programs

Post by VK3LU »

Mus,
We have Telstra wireless broadband and it is reasonably fast, depending on traffic of course, and we have 8gb at modest cost.
I upgraded 2 laptops to W10 successfuly on Telstra's freebie day. I started the first at 5.30 am and it took about two and half hours, reasonable considering the internet traffic at the time!
The second was started at 9.0am and it took 6 hours :yawn: :yawn:
It was successful. Both machines work well, boot and shut down faster and seem to be getting quicker on frequently used progs. Or is it my imagination?

73 Nev

PS. I am about to try a few digimode programs on them.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

For those who did not realise or are on low data , have someone download the win10 image and store on a bootable usb , upgrade easy or as in my case virtual win10 , kinda makes charging for win10 one day more difficult ,
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Windows 10 is more than a bit sketchy.. MS is pushing very hard to offer a "free" OS (free for how long? plus, it's already showing targeted advertising).

People are being force-upgraded to Windows 10 because they clicked the 'X' on the upgrade prompt. Microsoft decided after decades of consistency to turn that action from a "NO" to a "YES". You now give consent to upgrade by clicking the 'X'. So basically your GUI is now behaving dishonestly. What else behaves like this? A virus.

Once you're in Win10 land, you can turn off the telemetry/privacy concerning features. However, subsequent updates re-enable those features automatically. So you have no control over your OS whatsoever. The OS does whatever Microsoft wants it to do and you are a passenger.

Install Virtualbox. Install Linux Mint as a Virtual Machine. Play with it, get comfortable then make the switch.

If this hobby is about technical innovation and expertise then being stuck with Windows is as backwards as any other habit of convenience.