RFI from Honda 1KVA Geni

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK6YTS

RFI from Honda 1KVA Geni

Post by VK6YTS »

G'day
Been trying to do a bit of portable operation using my Honda 1KVA inverter Geni {around 10 years old}
Unfortunately I am receiving S9+ RFI from the geni, making operation impossible, well dam hard.
Any ideas how to solve this please?
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Re: RFI from Honda 1KVA Geni

Post by VK3QI »

OM,

You need to be more specific.

(1) Model

(2) Frequencies affected

(3) Trends in frequency range

(4) Type of antenna(s)

(5) Setup used including earthing?

Only then can you determine a course of action to minimise any RFI

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Hi

i have noted many hams use an EMI filter mounted close to the generator

usually mounted in a small box with a socket outlet mounted on it for the station use. If you have an old UPS they commonly have a suitable filter in them.

something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-250V-20A- ... xyThVTaxyK

peter will be able to shed more light

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

I got one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/Passive-Compon ... r/p/MS4001 from Jaycar.
Put it in a diecast box with a short (30cm) lead to the generator and a single GPO mounted on the lid for the output. Eliminates all HF noise from my 2KVA Kipor inverter generator (there was no VHF/UHF noise).
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

VK6YTS,

Have a look at the following post: http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... =20#p60419

Unfortunately, many generators sold on the Australian market do not have a suitable EMI filter fitted to them, despite claiming to be c tick approved.

This contrasts with the identical generators supplied to the European market, where the fitting of an EMI filter is mandated.

Consequently one has to fit such a device as close to the generator as possible.

If the RFI you referred to in your initial post is predominantly at 3.5 Mhz and 1.8 Mhz and lower, then the likely problem is radiation from the earth wire.

On the other hand, if the RFI peaks at higher frequencies, then it is likely to be problems on the Active or Neutral wires.

Remember that on many inverter generators, and Honda is such an example, the neutral and earth are not tied together like your typical MEN AC system in the domestic situation.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

I have the same problem with my Honda EU-10 and have built the filter in the thread put up by VK6YTS only a week ago. Unfortunately rainy weather has moved in and have not had a chance to set everything up and test the filter out.

As soon as the weather clears will give the gennie a run and see how the filter goes.

Seems to be a common problem with these inverter generators.

Nick
VK6YTS

Post by VK6YTS »

Thanks for all the info
RFI is from 40 - 10M, extreamly bad on 40 & 20m
Geni I am using is the Honda EU10 I Inverter
Antenna is a vertical.
73 Jason
VK6YTS