Low cost Maggy Lamp from Aldi

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3KR

Low cost Maggy Lamp from Aldi

Post by VK3KR »

View down through the lens
View down through the lens
Hi All,

This morning I reluctantly accompanied my wife on a shopping expedition, with a call to Aldi on the agenda. My morose foot shuffling soon turned to a happy dance when I spotted this Maggy Lamp for $70! The build quality is very good for the price, the illumination excellent and the lens appears to be distortion free. The diameter of the lens is 120mm - a bit smaller than professional quality Maggy Lamps I have used in the past but the magnification is the same. It comes with a heavy base that sits on the desk and with a clamp - both are sufficiently sturdy. In all, I think it's a bargain.

73 David VK3KR
VK3HN
Forum Novice

Re: Low cost Maggy Lamp from Aldi

Post by VK3HN »

Thanks David, remarkably I was thinking about one of these recentry. I find I am constantly taking off and putting on my specs when doing fine work. I will check it out. Is the illumination LEDs?
VK3KR

Post by VK3KR »

Yes, illumination is by LEDs. The manufacturer claims there are 90 LEDs at .06W each, for a power rating of 5.4W.

I was using a desk light with a 40W bulb for fine work and find the new Maggy Lamp is an improvement - more light and less heat.
VK3RZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3RZ »

VK3KR wrote:
20150411_124542.jpg
Hi All,

This morning I reluctantly accompanied my wife on a shopping expedition, with a call to Aldi on the agenda. My morose foot shuffling soon turned to a happy dance when I spotted this Maggy Lamp for $70! The build quality is very good for the price, the illumination excellent and the lens appears to be distortion free. The diameter of the lens is 120mm - a bit smaller than professional quality Maggy Lamps I have used in the past but the magnification is the same. It comes with a heavy base that sits on the desk and with a clamp - both are sufficiently sturdy. In all, I think it's a bargain.

73 David VK3KR
Not enough magnification, around 1.5x as I recall from my last Aldi visit.. IPC recommended mag for smt work and general inspection of today's smallparts is 4x.
Mike
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3RC »

Ive got a Jaycar one Dave and Id be lost without it.
1.5X works for me except the depth of field can be a pain at times as its quite shallow. Going to 4x would make the much worst if its the same lens dia.

What I found was that my one kicked up quite a din on 6m and 2m but a small clip on ferrite stopped that. I put one on the mains feed up by the lamp and inside the cover on the leads that go to the LED PCB as well.

A couple of times, mainly when working on 50v high current stuff :eh: , the lid that comes over the lens has flopped down with a resulting loud crack sound. Scared the crap out of me :lol:

Roger ZL3RC.
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
VK2CY
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CY »

G'day All,
I do board repair and I use a loupe with X2.5 for thru hole and gives a focal length of 4 to 6 inches with my eyesight.The stronger the magnification the closer the focal length and that soldering iron can end up very close.
For SMD boards I have to use a dissecting microscope with a X10 optic. This microscope gives a focal length of 8 inches. Plenty of room for soldering irons and suckers and the SMD components look big.!! :D Chris
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Aldi has them again and the xyl VK2XPH picked up one for me. Very good thing !
And only $60.
The illumination is bright and the lens is good. I do pcb work and have always used a fluoro tube type of maggy lamp, but this I would recommend.
It draws only 5 watts too
73 Dave
Last edited by VK2JDS on Sun May 01, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK2XTC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XTC »

For those who cannot get to Adli.

The same thing is in Bunnings today for $70. It has a goose neck making slightly more useful.

It had a smaller high mag area on the lens. For increased magnification.

Brian