Waterproofing with self-fusing silicone tape

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK6DVR
Forum Novice

Waterproofing with self-fusing silicone tape

Post by VK6DVR »

Waterproofing coax and antenna connections with self-amalgamating or self-fusing silicone tape.

One of the nice things I've discovered after 30-years of absence of much involvement with Amateur Radio, is finding and sharing new experiences that are by far, so much more innovative and improved when compared to what we had in the 60's & 70's.

I've experienced 'cockies' chewing through the black sheath of coax, right through the copper braid and inner conductor, leaving a rather nastily high vSWR, to be cured by running the coax underneath instead of the top of booms, etc. -Lesson learnt!

With the onset of Winter nearing, thoughts drift to antenna systems maintenance checklists and what I've found to be incredibly useful, effective and long-lasting so far as prevention of corrosion and water ingress to antenna connections, gamma-match boxes and coax cable joins, etc., is self-amalgamating or self-fusing silicone tape.

Checkout some images of what you can do, here: http://goo.gl/up7o4A

A couple of years ago, I stumbled across this stuff when looking to repair a severely corroded aluminium outlet pipe of a water pump on a 30-year old Toyota forklift, for which I was quoted over $1,000 for a replacement, plus labour for fitting.

For less than $20, I successfully used this tape/wrap around the leaking area and two-years on after the repair, not a drip of hot water has escaped, saving me that huge dreaded expense if I'd gone the other way.

Having found that this tape stretches out to more than three times it's resting length, self-fuses on itself, withstands extremely high temperatures, and has good UV tolerance, I then taped up an N-Connector to coax run at a gamma-matching box on a 6M beam, and it too is keeping the water and corrosion at bay, just nicely after a couple of years of salt spray exposure at a northern Perth beachside suburb.

Tommy Tape or Rust-Oleum Silicone Tape from 'Nubbings': http://goo.gl/WXmuTS
(Above link posted purely in the interest of a ham awareness tip, no pecuniary gain whatsoever.)
Danny Robinson, VK6DVR
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Waterproofing with self-fusing silicone tape

Post by VK3HJ »

Yes, it's the best stuff for weather sealing connectors, etc.

I've had connectors out in the weather for ten years and found them as good as the day I wrapped them.

Self-fusing tape doesn't make a revolting sticky mess like PVC electrical tape.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I've used this stuff or alternatives for many years too and had great success:

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/browse-by ... x-seal-104

I didn't know "Nubbings" sold the same though; thanks for the info.
Damien VK3RX
ZS6GST

Post by ZS6GST »

Hi Guys

That the tape you mention can make a permanent water proof joint is excellent advice,

BUT what happens if you are an ardent experimenter and would then like to undo the joint?

Here is how I do it: Source some GladWrap (lunch wrapping plastic film) from your kitchen (but don't let the XYL catch you doing so)

Wrap the joint you wish to waterproof with the GladWrap leaving a cm or so unwrapped near the ends of the joint. Then and only then apply your self vulcanising self sticking sealing tape over the joint including the ends that are bare of GladWrap.

Should you now in the future wish to undo your permanently sealed joint, the vulcanising can be split with a sharp knife and easily removed without sticking to your well preserved connectors. If your XYL does not use GladWrap you can use teflon tape sourced from a plumber supply house.

QED & 73 de Pine, ZS6GST - from the land where the big five can be found.
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Such tape is used extensively in the radio communications industry. Every tech has a roll or two in his toolbox.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK2AOH wrote:Such tape is used extensively in the radio communications industry. Every tech has a roll or two in his toolbox.
Always wrap with NITTO PVC over the top and FWIW just did my TH4 traps and I am watching two ozzie sulphur crested White cockatoos
weighing several KG bending down the REF and chewing into the black tape, so self vulcanising tape notwithstand cockies..their beaks can break open almonds to get at kernels..

Tread your own path :om: