2030: No HF Propagation & Mini Ice Age?

Non band-specific propagation & Solar Cycle discussion
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

2030: No HF Propagation & Mini Ice Age?

Post by VK4GHZ »

As the Antarctic Vortex grips Australia, solar researchers from the University of Northumbria in the UK say solar activity is set to plummet by 60 per cent in the 2030s.

:popcorn:

Research lead Professor Valentina Zharkova said fluid movements within the Sun, believed to create 11-year cycles in the weather, will cancel each other out, triggering a dramatic temperature drop.

Of course you want to know more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/envir ... 7439329592
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: 2030: No HF Propagation & Mini Ice Age?

Post by VK3HJ »

This thread has taken off on eHam DX Forum, and as expected did become a bit hysterical and silly.

Whilst if feels like a "mini ice age" in southeastern Australia now, that's weather, not climate!

How about I kick it off with a bold statement like "You don't need sunspots for HF propagation"?

This cycle 24, the "weakest in decades" has seen me start seriously DXing. My first serious attempt, and real interest, in DX started only back in about 2008, despite having been licenced since 1981. In 2009, when the sunspot number was approximately 0 and SFI something like 59 the VK9LA DXpedition to Lord Howe Island, for which I was an operator, made over 30,000 QSO in ten days. Sure, 10 and 12 m were pretty awful, but the lower bands were just fine.

73 and keep on enjoying HF DX, despite the indices,
Luke VK3HJ
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Luke

After 50+ years hamming I get quite amused when I hear doom and gloom comments about how band propagation is when the sun spot cycle is low.

Yep, 10, 12, & 17 will be poor and 20m open only occasionally at SS minima but I remember times when you could work the Americas and many other parts of the world on 40 for most of the day as well as the night, and USA stations were like locals on 80m every night! What made the difference on 80 was that being a ZL, we had access to the upper end of 80m where we were able to work a lot of DX on SSB without being confined to the silly little "DX window" - how I would love to have that band access now.

I did not have access to 30m then but I am becoming very interested in it now!

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

No propagation and a Mini Ice Age.......

I'd better sell my fridge while it's worth something...as i won't need it 2030 (according to the experts) :crazy: :popcorn:

Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK4ABW wrote:No propagation and a Mini Ice Age.......

I'd better sell my fridge while it's worth something...as i won't need it 2030 (according to the experts) :crazy: :popcorn:

Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW
Faark no beer for you, how will you cool your Darwin stubbies?
maybe like we do in KL7 put them outside in the snow.. :om:
Tread your own path :om:
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

Mini Ice Age? obviously haven't met my ex...............

Phil VK4CDI