Wyong Field Day 2016 - Impressions

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2JDH

Re: Wyong Field Day 2016 - Impressions

Post by VK2JDH »

VK2ZRH wrote:Clearly, the rent charged for the Wyong venue is substantially different from the EMDRC venue; one reason for the differential in entry price.

:
If you knew the cost of running that FD you would have a heart attack.

Race Course hire, Security, Garbage , Catering, Council and Police liaison et al. The only free thing is CCARC member's Labour during the preceding 9 months and on the day.

And the main reason the gates , and the Flea Market, open so early is traffic. Not to would have a queue back over the bridge and down the Wyong main street, quickly followed by a visit from the Police asking why the Traffic Management plan is not working.

Plus it is a big commitment for the traders to attend, especially the long distance travelers or the large vendors, as the have to shut down their shop for a day or two before , load up all their stock and do the reverse at the end. So unless hams actually buy stuff from them on the day, they might question is it financially worth it.

A couple of Sydney clubs have, over the years , attempted to put on a large FD but they had trouble gaining traction.

Ditto for the VK3 multi club effort at Keyton over the years. It's on some years and not others.

Most people think 'how hard could it be to run a FD and make heaps of money?' They have a go and realise:
1) It's hard and
2) It's a great financial risk if it fails.

Dave
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

At last a bit of logic and common sense.

It's really easy to be a consumer and complain, much harder to be a provider and keep everyone happy.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

VK3ALB wrote:It's really easy to be a consumer and complain, much harder to be a provider and keep everyone happy.
nicely said, we should be grateful that anyone takes on these events (though I like the VK3 entry fees)
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK3ALB wrote:At last a bit of logic and common sense.

It's really easy to be a consumer and complain, much harder to be a provider and keep everyone happy.
But Lou without consumers there would be no providers. I think you, and CCARC, miss the point of having a Hamfest. To get as many consumers in the one place in order that the providers can sell their wares. If you want to shoot the messengers that is your business, but it will not solve the problem. You should be asking the consumers like myself why Wyong no longer appeals to us the way it used to, and then what we think needs to happen. I have been there almost every year for the past 5 or 6. I spent nearly $2000 there this year. I will not be back in 2017 because there is bugger all there to interest me. Want to class me as just a whinger? Fine. I'll spent my money elsewhere...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK2JDH wrote:
VK2ZRH wrote:Clearly, the rent charged for the Wyong venue is substantially different from the EMDRC venue; one reason for the differential in entry price.

:
If you knew the cost of running that FD you would have a heart attack.

Race Course hire, Security, Garbage , Catering, Council and Police liaison et al. The only free thing is CCARC member's Labour during the preceding 9 months and on the day.

And the main reason the gates , and the Flea Market, open so early is traffic. Not to would have a queue back over the bridge and down the Wyong main street, quickly followed by a visit from the Police asking why the Traffic Management plan is not working.

Plus it is a big commitment for the traders to attend, especially the long distance travelers or the large vendors, as the have to shut down their shop for a day or two before , load up all their stock and do the reverse at the end. So unless hams actually buy stuff from them on the day, they might question is it financially worth it.

A couple of Sydney clubs have, over the years , attempted to put on a large FD but they had trouble gaining traction.

Ditto for the VK3 multi club effort at Keyton over the years. It's on some years and not others.

Most people think 'how hard could it be to run a FD and make heaps of money?' They have a go and realise:
1) It's hard and
2) It's a great financial risk if it fails.

Dave
Dave,

But you totally miss the point. It is almost like the rest of the amateur population owes some form of loyalty to Hamfest organisers to support them no matter what the cost & what is actually being provided. You sound like the current WIA Board...

The Hamfest exists for consumer amateurs. We either buy from the flea market or we buy from the commercial traders but the key is the exchange of our hard earned money to keep the amateur economy revolving...

Amateurs generally don't give a stuff what it costs to hold the function. That is CCARC's problem... they either meet the needs of consumer amateurs or it will die and, quite frankly, few will mourn it because of the total unwillingness to evolve to meet the challenges of spiraling costs, change in vendors over time, and the changing amateur demographics.

Richard
VK2AAH