What to select for a new VHF repeater?

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

What to select for a new VHF repeater?

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi the local club have been looking for what to use next for it's repeater vk5rbv on 146.825

The current Tait system has some long standing faults that are eluding repair.

We have in the last few weeks been discussing a commercial option but before we jump in feet first, what have others used in the way of commercial gear (that can be readily purchased) to get an analogue VHF repeater on air.

Searches for UNILAB VHF and other of that style have turned up as dead ends, there seems to be plenty of UHF stuff but no VHF in that series.

please reply here or to pedroj @ interneode on net

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: What to select for a new VHF repeater?

Post by VK5ZLR »

Two $50 chinese handhelds back to back......
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Interesting comparison of options at: http://www.vk6uu.id.au/commercial-versus-amateur.html

Not sure if they're still available but an interesting discussion on Hamtronics gear appears at http://www.vk6uu.id.au/Hamtronics-option.html
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
ZL3OZ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3OZ »

Does anybody still use your existing repeater?
We have three 2mtr and one 70cm repeater in our zone under branch 34 and I am a trustee and service tech but I question the need now. No body uses them and literally days and sometimes weeks go by without so much as a trigger.
Value for money spent on licence fees here, we would be better off with a 6mtr Beacon in place of one :om: . It would be more usefull to the greater Ham community.

Ken
ZL3OZ
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

Wouxon sell a single handheld that configures as a repeater as a repeater
AU Wouxun KG-UV8D+USB Cable+Speaker V/U 136-174/400-520MHz Duplex Repeater Radio
VK5DF
Forum Novice

Post by VK5DF »

SCARC use a Vertex Standard 9000 series for out RSC repeater.
http://www.vertexstandard.com/anz/vs_pr ... e-station/

Its ok and is serviced in country. Nothing bad to say about it, It just works!
Daniel
VK5DF
PF94HW
VK6XLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6XLR »

VK5PJ wrote:Hi the local club have been looking for what to use next for it's repeater vk5rbv on 146.825

Searches for UNILAB VHF and other of that style have turned up as dead ends, there seems to be plenty of UHF stuff but no VHF in that series.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
Got one here Pete. Email on the way.

Ski
Rick Kowalewski
-- Perth, WA, 6530 -- OF77xw --
VK6RK
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

Just on 12 months ago Taree and District AR club occupied a new site(for the club) and as a result of problems with very old and failing FM828 repeaters on both VHF and UHF, decided to bite the bullet and installed one and then another DR-1X a few months later at their new site.

With the cash back incentive on offer at the time, it made purchase of new DR-1X units attractive and affordable for our small club. We as a club have no regrets, have now in service new equipment which so far has proved reliable and our new site is providing very good coverage,

We had also noted that small clubs, both north and south of us on the NSW mid north coast, have also taken advantage of replacing old analogue FM repeaters with new DR-1X units.

The decision as to what repeater equipment suits individual clubs is entirely up to their members, but the Taree club has no regrets to date with the decision they made and their choice of repeater.

Yes, our repeaters can accomodate C4FM signals as well as analogue FM, should users wish.
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Ross,
I take it this is some form of Yeasu? as you only gave a model number and google turns up lots of results.
VK2DVZ wrote:Yes, our repeaters can accomodate C4FM signals as well as analogue FM, should users wish.
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

Hi Peter,
Yes, the DR-1X is from the Yaesu stable.

We bought from VK, but see this link for info.
https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=D ... Archived=0
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Ross,
this may seem like an odd question to ask but how would you characterise the mute operation of the Yaesu?

Is it a harsh mute that clamps off when a signal starts to get weak?
or is it able to track along with weaker signals and provide some service for fringe level stations?

I have always been a fan of the softer mutes that the older Philips 828's had where there was some ability to track into the noise.

Would appreciate if others have comments too about the operation of the mutes on their local repeater and what band / model it is

That offer from Yaesu seems to be quite an eye opener :clap:
VK2DVZ wrote:Hi Peter,
Yes, the DR-1X is from the Yaesu stable.
We bought from VK, but see this link for info.
https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=D ... Archived=0
Regards.
Peter
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

Hi Peter,
Not being a radio tech person, I will try and answer your muting question in layman's terms as I see it.

I set our repeaters mute setting fairly fine. It accepts quite weak signals from great distances without too much bother- also from distant hand held radios on analogue FM. ( F call on 2m band at about 200 plus Km from up along the coast when conditions permit-the path has many obstructions along the eastern side of the great dividing range). Yes, as the qsb deepens the incoming signal can drop out but often the signal will hold on even though the incoming analogue FM signal becomes more noisy.

Out repeaters, VK2REE, are at almost 600m asl and some distance inland from the coastal fringe.

We are currently using version software 1.00b but recently Yaesu has released an update that provides an adjustable hysteresis along with a couple of other features.(I will one day update the software to the later version, mainly for the later DSP version update that is within the latest update when I get the time to visit the mountain).

Our repeaters are stand alone units and are not linked or connected to the Internet, echo link etc.

Here is the latest update text only info from Yaesu for the DR-X repeater. You will find the original pdf document on the website from the link I gave in my earlier post.

(Incidentally a neighbouring amateur radio club at their monthly meeting yesterday voted to purchase another DR-X to upgrade one of their repeater sites, so they must be happy with their earlier installed units).

Quote:

Dear DR-1X Operators;
Latest Firmware Update for the DR-1X Repeater
Thank you for your patronage and support of YAESU products.
The previous announcement for the DR-1X firmware update on December 25, 2015 omitted some information; we apologize for any confusion, and would like to revise the announcement as follows:
The latest firmware update for the DR-1X Repeater contains the following additional features. If you are not interested in these features, you may skip this update.
 Adjustable Squelch Hysteresis
 Adjustable Squelch Tail
 CWID/Voice announcements with stripped PL Tones
Before installing the new firmware, please check the DR-1X firmware version. Previously shipped DR-1X repeaters had two firmware versions, depending on the local conventions:
DR-1X Ver. 1.00b for Wide-FM operation
DR-1X Ver. 1.00f provides Selectable Wide/*Narrow-FM operation *The narrow band deviation is to accommodate EU regulation.
To check the firmware version of your DR-1X;
1. Turn Power ON
2. Press “SET UP” Button on the Operation Mode Screen
3. The current Firmware Version is displayed at the top of the Screen
Two versions of the update firmware are available. Please install the appropriate firmware for your DR-1X.
 Ver. 1.00m replaces Ver. 1.00b, and any versions other than Ver.1.00f, (which is for Wide-FM operation)
 Ver. 1.00t replaces Ver. 1.00f for Selectable Wide/Narrow-FM operation
Please note that all DR-1X Repeaters shipped from December 20, 2015 has the firmware “Ver. 1.10D,” already
installed with these features and other updates. Please do not install this firmware.
Thank you for your attention and continued support of YAESU.

End quote.
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Thanks Ross,
yes the term hysteresis is what I was struggling to describe, knew there description but the word had eluded my craggy brain, sounds like these Yaesu's are gaining in popularity.

Regards, Peter
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

Use an NHRC-Squelch board -

http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-squelch/

There are other variations out there like this, but the NHRC works fine in most cases.

Get a KL150 for your repeater, there will be one out there somewhere. Anything else and your wasting your time (and money) unless it's free.
I have one here but it might be used one day :D
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Alan BMARC club secretary.

Can I ask, where do you get a new Cavity Set for 2m?
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

PJ
If you cant get cavities there are two VSG filters in our old 5A with heaps of cavities which would convert
Tread your own path :om:
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Alan,
VK2ZIW wrote:Alan BMARC club secretary.
Can I ask, where do you get a new Cavity Set for 2m?
this is a common problem for people planning a VHF repeater and it usually comes down to finding someone who knows someone that has equipment pulled out of service.. Also try an advert on VKHAM / VKClassifieds to the effect you are looking for some cavities.

sorry I could not be of much more help but good luck in your enquiries.

Peter, vk5pj