South America 10m Contest - March

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

South America 10m Contest - March

Post by VK2ZRH »

Our colleagues in South America have invited all and sundry to take part in the 10 metre South America Contest - 24 hours over 12 and 13 March 2016.
sa10m_news_(001).jpg
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3KCX

Re: South America 10m Contest - March

Post by VK3KCX »

Has anybody in Victoria had much success working South American stations on 10M this cycle, far south in particular?
My observation is that this has got to be one of the hardest regions on the planet to reach on 10 for us Southerners.
VK4 stations seem to manage with out to much trouble, but it seems near impossible for me... is it just me?

- David
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

David

This is a really tough path. Even from VK4 it is a challenge without any short paths being enabled by crossing the equatorial region.

Our reliance on multi-hop Es or F2 to open the path, and the lack there of this cycle, has meant that the number of Qs completed has been well down this cycle compared to past (consistent with the prop on other HF and low VHF bands).

The path when available here in SE VK4 has been further challenged by the strong TEP into North America. Whilst I can often hear the southern CE, PY etc stations with reasonable and very workable signals, I can't compete with the S9++ signals they are hearing from the Caribbean and southern W stations.

But without a challenge, why do we do it?
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

As Scott points out, it's difficult to reach the southern nations in South America as the great circle paths cross the south polar cap - notoriously difficult ionospherically. }:[

So, I suggest you try beaming northeast or east-northeast across the Pacific, to catch the northern nations via skip from the southern equatorial ionospheric anomaly and/or TEP.

March is the month of the equinox, which will make it easier . . . but you'll have to rely on either good F2 conditions to cross the Pacific ( . . maybe), or on sporadic E (. . . another maybe). Midday at path mid-point is a good time to call CQ (or a little earlier, and then persist). Thus endeth the lesson for today. :)
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Thanks guys, Interestingly both of my contacts this cycle have been on the long path. I will keep trying.

- David