Co-Ax Cable strippers from China

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK2CY
Forum Novice

Co-Ax Cable strippers from China

Post by VK2CY »

G'day All,
Ever wondered why those Chinese Coax strippers don't cut the cable in the correct positions for those crimp connectors.
So I had some of these strippers I bought from my mates at TomTop on Ebay for a few dollars each post free. Set it for 58 cable and set the depth of the blades and cut the cable. Well the outer shield was cut to short for my brand of crimp BNC connectors.Useless I thought!!! Over a few days of thinking I decided to pull one apart and see what fixes the blade position. I pressed out the pin in the handle (watch out for the spring) and lifted it off. Ah Ha!. The blades sit in slots and are held in place with a small spring. (I previously measured the correct length of cut for the outer shield required). So I moved the blades further apart into the correct slot and moved the inner blade to the correct position as well. Put it all back together and did the first cut and now it's perfect.!!!! Then adjusted the bottom screws for the correct depth of cut for the cable I use. I used a drop of loctite 222 to hold them in place. (any type of glue would do that's not permanent so you can readjust them if required.) Because the strippers are so cheap and readjusting is time consuming I have set up individual ones for different coax cables such as 174, 316, 58. They won't do 213 so back to the craft knife for those ones.
Hope this helps
Chris :beer:
Last edited by VK2CY on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: strippers from China

Post by VK3DXE »

That is all :mrgreen: :beer:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK6DVR
Forum Novice

Re: Co-Ax Cable strippers from China

Post by VK6DVR »

I found that the Coax strippers from China were great, except for one flaw that I discovered.
The knurled brass threaded part that takes the 'adjustment' allen key, that's supposed to be embedded and locked in place in the plastic housing, becomes dislodged and as you wind the allen key about, if you look carefully, you might see it moves in the plastic and almost starts jutting out of the plastic housing - not good.
So, my solution was to pull it out altogether very slowly, get some good glue like araldite or some two part glue, paste it around the knurled grooves of the threaded brassy bit and a touch inside the hole, and as evenly as possible, press it right down with pliers to just below the plastic surface and let it set before attempting to use it again. Voila, it becomes a Coax stripper, again.
Danny Robinson, VK6DVR